Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Patterning a new gun?  (Read 808 times)

Offline Sir Michael

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Store
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #132
Re: Patterning a new gun?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 04:27:05 PM »
That would depend on who made the barrel.  

If you get up to 1/2 the weight of the ball I'd recommend you start over.  Review the groups you've shot, pick the best and look at ball size and/or patch thickness.  My loads are based on historic loads used for the same rifle.  As was said previously, every gun is different and even two factory made guns with consecutive serial numbers may be different.  Everything said here is just a starting point.

This whole process also gives you a chance to get thoroughly familiar with your rifle and gives you the confidence to know that if after you finish and you miss your target it is you not the rifle or load.
Sir Michael
Charter Member #132

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 08:18:19 PM »
Quote from: "4-Liberty"
Wow! 200 gr is a lot of powder!!!
That brings up my next question. Is there a formula for the maximum amount of powder that a specific caliber can safely handle?

O that's nuthin! How do you think he got the name bigsmoke? John likes ta shoot guns where he uses a teacup for a powder measure....
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 12:34:31 PM »
You guys have explained it very well.  I enjoy the heck out of working up loads for my firearms.  Which may be the reason I have so darn many deer rifles.

I also got a copy of Dutch's system and follow that for my muzzle loaders.  That system was the short cut for a long learning curve.  I'd spent a lot of time and components unnecessarily before I learned the finer points of it.  There were two items in his system I hadn't known about or figured out myself.  That alone was worth the small price I gave Dutch for his "secrets"

Whether center fire or muzzle loader I look at the load development as an on going project.  I don't try to get it all done at once.  I take my time testing variables until I get it all dialed in and find that "sweet spot" for each variable.  Once I find it, I write it down.  Then I'm on to the next gun.  Each gun is a puzzle and I enjoy working with them until I have it all put together.  Then I need another project.
Steve Sells