Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Stupid, stupid, stupid mistake  (Read 1656 times)

Offline kb

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Stupid, stupid, stupid mistake
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 07:42:49 AM »
I wonder if we can use black powder launched ramrods during archery season?  All we need to do is fletch the RR for stability!  LOL

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 10:31:28 AM »
Shooting an arrow from a gun wouldn't be a new idea.  The Chinese had cannons that fired huge arrows.  Getting the various state game agencies to approve might be another matter.  Given that many agencies have approved crossbows, laser sights, etc, it wouldn't be that much of a step though.

John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline kb

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2014, 10:57:51 AM »
Here in NY it would probably be considered an assault weapon, and need to be registered for future confiscation....

lol

Offline Detached

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 11:48:36 AM »
Quote from: "kb"
Here in NY it would probably be considered an assault weapon, and need to be registered for future confiscation....

lol

Only if it held more than 10 ramrods.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 11:23:42 PM »
A ramrod in flight makes an interesting humming sound.

FWIW; Stormrider51 is right on the money with this one.
In fact, if you're on the range when it happens, you can definitely tell what just happened from the sound, especially if you are wearing electronic muffs..

I've done it, and I've witnessed it happening several times over the years. And every time it happened I could hear that "hum".
I think the one that made the most racket was a metal rod from a CW Musket, and that particular one was very interesting. The guy shooting quickly picked up the handle of "Ol' Hummer".  

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline greggholmes

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 675
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:35 AM »
 not that I have ever done it
Member #675
Skagit Muzzle loaders
Expires June16, 2017

Any arm save our mothers', that arm is Brown Bess!

Offline Ron T.

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 11:16:54 AM »
I use to "dry ball" EVERY... that's "E-V-E-R-Y" time I went to the rifle range to shoot my muzzle loaders.  It got absolutely EMBARRASSING after a while !~!~!  THEN... I figured out a way to keep from doing it... and here's what I did!

I cut the patch at the muzzle which leaves a nice, round .50 caliber hole in the 2-inch wide stripe of patching-cloth I use (.016-inch washed, cotton denim).  Since I use either Swiss or Goex black powder in their metal cans, I bought a nice "screw-on" cap made outta what looks like a .223 center-fire cartridge case soldered to a screw-on metal cap with a hole "punched" in it to hold the .223 cartridge's body.

Of course, when I'm shooting black powder, the can of powder sits on the shooting bench next to me along with all the "other stuff" we need when using black powder and muzzle loaders.

And so, I decided that hanging the "hole" in the strip of cloth I use as my "patching" material over the spout created by the mouth of the .223 cartridge would keep me from trying to put a "patch" under the ball sitting on the mouth of my  rifle's barrel because I'd have to take the patching material OFF of the spout of the black powder I was using.  I.E., in order to use the patch-material, I HAD to literally TOUCH the can of powder which SHOULD (and "does") cause me to realize I hadn't put ANY powder in the rifle.  Right?  RIGHT !!!

AND... believe it or not, it WORKED !~!~!  I haven't "dry-balled" since I began hanging the strip of patching material OVER the "spout" on my black powder can 5 years ago !~!~!  Shucky-DARN... it's the TRUTH !!!

So give this thought a "try" if yer havin' "dry-ball" trouble... 'cause it WORKS (for me, at least)!~!~!  :toast

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
It's SMART to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa "stuff"...

Offline Geezer in NH

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 07:28:33 PM »
Quote from: "kb"
I wonder if we can use black powder launched ramrods during archery season?  All we need to do is fletch the RR for stability!  LOL
Close enough no need for fletching

Offline Jack Ryan

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 08:16:29 PM »
Until you've "lost" your ram rod on the range and couldn't find it to reload, you've not done anything too stupid.

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 09:46:41 AM »
My first ramrod shot was at a Boy Scout Rondy - same problem - distractions.
We were shooting at a wooden log crib we made for a backstop. At about 30 yards the
polymer rod curled up like a horseshoe. You don't load anymore with that.  Became a
'wall hanger' reminder  :Doh!
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders