Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A little help, please!  (Read 826 times)

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
Re: A little help, please!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 01:17:19 AM »
Fun is what it's all about, Kermit.  Otherwise, we'd all be shooting those danged catridge guns.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline R.M.

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 134
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 01:40:06 AM »
I don't have a smoothie, but I have to wonder about the loose fitting balls. How do you screw in a ball-puller? Would not the ball just rotate if there's not enough friction?
R.M.
 :Canada
TMA Charter Member #134   Exp. 11/14
Join the TMA. For the money, it's the best BOOM for your 15 bucks.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 07:42:53 AM »
Wiping the pan is a no brainer, but, don't forget to wipe the bottom of the frizzen cover. The moisture collected there is in direct contact with the powder granules that receive the shower of sparks. Also, in a line shoot situation, you'll rarely ever be primed long enough to transfer that moisture to the prime. A hunting situation however is the opposite story. Both the pan and frizzen cover must be wiped after every shot. Early season squirrel hunting here is a good example.
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 09:20:33 AM »
RM--the idea is to PUSH the balls, not PULL them, else we'd load them with strings attached!
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
Excellent explanations on ball/patch and priming.  Just to side with those who have already posted this I'll go over it again from my perspective.  Generally the least amount of prime that works well is preferable; I try for an average of about 2 grains of 4F for most locks and from 4 to 6 grains in locks with huge pans.  In actuality while out in the bush I just dump in prime and shoot.  My hunting primer flask is a cute affair made from a deer's leg bone; no measuring nozzle.

At the range I use a "springy thingy" that throws about 2 to 3 grains.  And ALL vent holes are drilled to 1/16" and no more.  Ignition is perfect.  If you prefer "wet" lubes, as I do, the prb can be seated down on the powder with no problems in most cases.  I frequently use some sort of op wad and that assures NO contaminated powder.  The wet patch, however, should never be drippy or sloppy, just good and wet.  

I like snug, not "tight" prb fit.  It has to be able to be safely seated with the wood underbarrel rod or it's too tight for me.  In my .50, for instance, I shoot a .590" ball with a .024" patch lubed with Hoppes.  That particular has round bottom grooves but the load does just as well in other caliber guns with square rifling.  In my smoothbore I can't go as tight.  A .600" ball and .015" flannel patch is about as snug as I can get without pounding to seat.  Since I prefer shooting WW ball (.606") a patch of any kind is problematic.  Sometimes a .010" patch works with this larger ball but it depends on the type patch.  It is tight and marginally seated with a wood rod.  So often I shoot WW ball as a bare ball.  It does surprisingly well in the accuracy department.  Any gun will keep a relatively clean bore with a good, snug prb especially if a "wet" lube is used.  It wipes the bore going down and leaves just one shots worth of fouling when fired.  At the range I seldom wipe before packing up to go home.  Tighter combos also give velocity increases and often better accuracy.  While black powder will not draw moisture from the air (non-hygroscopic) the bp fouling definitely will (hygroscopic).  It's the fouling trace in the pan and not the prime that is responsible for any pan slurry.  If it is wet enough everything gets a little damp including clothing.  There is absolutely nothing wrong nor is there any downside with wiping often.  I only wipe when I feel it is necessary (rare).  In the woods my first load of the day, regardless of which gun, is lubed with Natural Lube 1000.  If I don't fire that day it will not rust or dry out and be ready to use the next.  If fired Hoppes is used from there on out.

Well, I've managed to get on my own nerves so I'll quit.  This is just stuff I learned the hard way over the decades.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline 1Poet

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 12:38:28 AM »
Hanshi,
   Great looking priming "bone" (?) horn. I sure like the way BP folks make everything into something else!
Lloyd