Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Cleaning Lock  (Read 1248 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: Cleaning Lock
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
i don't spend much time on a full clean.  after pulling the lock, i use a nylon brush and a weak moose milk concoction and then really hot water, allow to dry, a bit of ballistol on a nylon brush to get it into the internals, a final wipe down with a paper towel, back on the rifle.  goes fast.  probably lots more care than most 18th century locks ever saw.

Offline RonC

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 741
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 04:22:45 PM »
Quote from: "Geezer in NH"
I lost the case colors on a Double barrel action in the ultrasound cleaner was using simple green. It was gone in 10 minutes. Be carefull
Now, THAT'S what I wanted to know. I was a little apprehensive about the Ultrasound cleaning because of the "faux" case coloring.

Thank you.
No Ultrasound for these guns.
Ron

Offline River_Rogue

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2015, 02:27:30 PM »
I tend to favor the hot/boiling water method. I have a question though. After cleaning and the water evaporates, if you put a very light coat of oil on the inner workings, is there anywhere that would be bad for the oil to be?

Offline River_Rogue

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2015, 03:58:53 PM »
If you coat the inside of the lock with a very thin coat of oil, will it adversely effect any part of the mechanism? Is there anywhere that should not have oil on it?

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 05:52:33 PM »
Quote from: "River_Rogue"
If you coat the inside of the lock with a very thin coat of oil, will it adversely effect any part of the mechanism? Is there anywhere that should not have oil on it?

the pan, frizzen, flint and touch hole need to be - Must Be! - as clean as can be of any oil, powder residue or dirt prior to loading and shooting.  i pull and clean out the entire lock after every shooting session then use a super light bit of break free clp on all of the innards with a clean cotton cloth.  SO ... i inspect/clean the pan, frizzen, flint and touch hole prior to every load and shooting.  this is what i do, other folks may have other thoughts and processes.  as long as it works consistently and well, it's all good and ymmv.

Offline River_Rogue

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2015, 06:07:16 PM »
Right I knew about the frizzen, flint, and touch hole. I should have been more specific. I was primarily concerned about light oil adversely effecting the internal lock mechanisms. Thank you.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2015, 06:11:52 PM »
a light "coat" on the internals is, imho, a good thing.

Offline wattlebuster

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member #223 Expiration Date 08/13/18
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 07:39:01 PM »
I like to use H2O with a drop or 2 of dawn an an old toothbrush. Been working for over 30 yrs
Pleasure is the feel of a fine handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a still frosty morning
Member # 223
Membership Exp 08/13/18
Member NMLRA
member CLA

Offline Ironhand

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Supporting Member # 664, Expiration 5/4/2019
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 08:42:06 PM »
Ultrasonic brass cleaner with 3:1 mix of water and Murphys oil soap. I run it about 3 cycles and it wipes clean. If not run it a couple more cycles.

Ironhand
Place your clothes and your weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Lazarus Long