Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Fast Ignition  (Read 718 times)

Offline 1Poet

• TMA Forum Member
Fast Ignition
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:14:49 AM »
I've read what grain powder used to prime and I started with 3f for my main charge and prime. There was a slight, but noticeable delay when fired. I used more prime and less but still a slight delay. So, I switched to 4f for my prime which seemed to speed ignition.  However, today I was letting some newbies try my Tip Curtis smoothie, when I ran out of 4f.  I switched to 3f and there was no delay in all following shots! Any idea what happened cause I don't have a clue at this point?!

Offline mario

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Fast Ignition
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:29:15 AM »
For all the flintlocks I've had, I've used 3F as priming. Never noticed much difference.

I only fill the pan about 1/3 full. And after closing the frizzen, I tap the sideplate side of the gun with the bottom of my fist to drive the priming powder AWAY from the vent/touchhole.

Mario

Offline gunmaker

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 715
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 12:33:52 PM »
pick the vent and wipe frizzen each time...use load powder for prime...
Member#2184, 11-1-'12

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 03:28:21 PM »
Part of the explanation may be that you are getting accustomed to flint ignition.  When someone new to BP shoots my flintlock they often say something like, "Wow, takes a while to fire doesn't it?"  I don't notice any delay.  What many think of as delay is the time it takes for the cock (hammer) to fall through its arc, strike the frizzen, rake down it, and then for the resultant sparks to reach the pan.  Things happen very quickly once the powder in the pan ignites.  There's good reason black powder is classified as an "explosive" instead of a "flammable solid".

I've never been able to detect any difference in ignition time between 4F and 3F.  Here's a website you may find interesting.  Their high-speed videos seem to say I'm right about powder grain size.  Also check out the one about placement of the priming charge in the pan.

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 03:37:46 PM »
Quote from: "Stormrider51"
Here's a website you may find interesting.
Storm

Storm,
           :shake [/color]
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 03:43:48 PM »
Yeah, it would help if I attached the link.  BlackPowderMag.com | Flintlock Rifles and Black Powder Guns

Storm
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 03:51:49 PM »
:shake [/color]
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Kermit

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: 3/21/17 ~ 3/21/18
  • TMA Member: 393
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 07:46:43 PM »
You might notice some faster ignition using Swiss "Null B" for priming. Swiss 4F grains are .009" to .020", quite a variation. Their Null B is .009" entirely, and you are warned to NOT use it as a main load or cartridge powder, or events can become overly exciting and introduce you to the coroner or the ER doc.

I tried some that a friend uses, and could tell it was faster. I understand it is the priming of choice among competition shooters. Will I be buying it? Probably not, since I seem to have about 2 1/2 lbs of Goex FFFFg, which might be a lifetime supply.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly."
Mae West

Member Number 393

Offline Ron T.

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 11:48:59 PM »
Prior to EACH shot, I "pick-the-flash-channel" with a fairly large, unfolded paper-clip which allows me to reach far into the flash-channel to insure it is clean and fully open, then I wipe off the "nose" of the flint with a clean rag and wipe off the "face" of the frizzen with the clean area of the same rag.

Then I prime the frizzen pan with a fair amount of FFFFg Goex and lean the rifle over slightly to the left and lightly smack the left side of the rifle opposite of the frizzen pan with the "ham" of my hand to insure a little of the FFFFg powder gets into the flash-channel.

Next, I lean the rifle over slightly to the right and "bump" the rifle a bit to insure I level-out the priming powder still left in the frizzen pan and insure the priming powder is not stacked up and covering the flash-hole.  Then I close the frizzen, aim the rifle and "FIRE".

By doing these actions consistently, I've found that my flintlock rifle fires just as fast as my percussion cap Hawken rifles... and does so without any noticeable "hesitation" in the firing of the flintlock rifle as compared to a cap-lock rifle.  

If there IS any "hesitation", it would be difficult to notice using the techniques I use on my flinter.

I wrote this procedure out fully because I keep reading other's posts who claim the flintlock is "noticeably-slower-to-fire" than a percussion cap rifle.  If the procedure I've just outlined (above) is followed, I believe you'll find your "flinter" will fire, without any actual noticeable "hesitation" or a difference in speed, just as fast as a percussion cap rifle normally fires.

It's all a matter of "technique" and using reasonable, workable "methods" to keep all the firing "parts" on a flintlock clean and in good, usable order.   :lt th

Strength and Honor...

Ron T.
It's SMART to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa "stuff"...

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 05:22:52 PM »
tip curtis .45, goex 3f down the tube and in the pan - fast!

click for video

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 05:26:21 PM »
Yep now that's fast.Thank's for taken us with ya, :rt th
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247