Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Pushing Daisies  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
Pushing Daisies
« on: February 17, 2015, 08:28:56 PM »
I know. What do daisies have to do with shooting? It a patch cut like a flower to fold over the ball better. I'm thinking of trying them, and wanted to know anybody has tried them?

Take a look, and scroll down for a description.

October Country Dry Daisy Shooting Patches - October Country
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017
Keep your nose in the wind.

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Pushing Daisies
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »
I'll assume nobody has tried them. So, i'll be the guinea pig.

I'm a sucker for things that seem like a good idea.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Online Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 01:49:24 PM »
Seen 'em listed Muley...but have never tried one.  I'm interested to see how they work for you.
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 02:24:52 PM »
Muley,
   Like Two Steps I have seen them in the catalogs and always wondered. As prices go they are not that costly.IMO Be sure to let us know how they work for you.
snake-eyes  :shake
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 02:46:23 PM »
Ok, i'll report on them. I need my next SS check on the 3rd to buy supplies. So, it will be next month sometime.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Offline One Shot

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 03:09:22 AM »
There was a small article a few months ago in Muzzleloading magazine inregards to putting what in ones possible's bag.  I am not home to be able to look it up or I would. I believe the author thought they shot fairly well.
Semper Fi
The Few The Proud

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »
That's good to hear. I have no idea what size patch will be best for the Hawken I just bought.

I see they offer pillow ticking in .015 and .018. I'll order both of those. It's kind of hard finding PT in .015, but I always feel good when I use it. Something about that pattern that seems so right to use.

October Country Dry Ticking Patches - October Country

Another question I have for you guys. I normally use the mink oil for patch lube from TOW. it's great in cold weather.

I notice that October Country offer bear tallow mixed with bees wax, and some other ingredients that they don't mention what they are. Anybody use this for patch lube. It cost quite a bit more than the mink oil. I don't want to spend the money if it isn't a good product.

Bumblin Bear Grease 4 oz - October Country
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Offline Riley/MN

• TMA Member: Charter Member #20
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 01:45:59 PM »
As much as I have heard good things about bumblin bear grease, mink oil works for me, so I stick with it.
~Riley
><>

TMA Charter Member #20

Support Traditional Muzzleloading - Join the TMA!

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 01:57:19 PM »
I have no problem with mink oil. I'm the curious type though, and like to experiment.

I've pretty much decided to try the bear grease. I'll give a review after using it for awhile.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 09:26:09 PM »
Muley,
I have been using the Bumblin' Bear grease for quite some time, more as a lubricant and preservative for the rifle, leather, etc.  Personally I don't really care for greased patches except for hunting.  For that I use the Ox Yoke Wonder Patches or whatever they call them.  Wonder, Super, Whoop-de-do or some darn fool thing.  Prefer a wet patch for regular shooting, so I use either saliva or Ol' Thunder for that.
As far as the Daisy Patch goes, it looks pretty gimicky to me.  I had received a bag of them from October Country last May(?) and when I went to the PPR I took them along with me, thinking I might shoot time and see what I thought.  Long story short, I didn't, but I did show them to several people.  The response was pretty consistent.  Yeah?, so?, some kind of a joke?, why bother?, what's wrong with round?, and so forth.  I offered some free samples if anyone wanted to try them, but no takers.  So, there you go, FWIW.
Bottom line here, BBG is great for guns and gear, have no idea about patches.  Daisy patches, I see no reason to even bother.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline snake eyes

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
  • TMA Member: 10
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 09:39:50 PM »
John,
       Personally I would like to try them,or at least listen to someone who has used
them. I certainly respect your post and am looking forward to other thoughts
on the daisies. :shake [/color]
Erin Go Bragh
TMA Co -Founder & Charter member #10 to   7/1/2019
Ohio TMA State Rep[/color]
Life member: NAHC
Life member: NRA
Member: Columbus M/L GC

"If you come to a fork in the road....take it!"
    Yogi Berra

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 10:14:30 PM »
Quote from: "bigsmoke"
Muley,
I have been using the Bumblin' Bear grease for quite some time, more as a lubricant and preservative for the rifle, leather, etc.  Personally I don't really care for greased patches except for hunting.  For that I use the Ox Yoke Wonder Patches or whatever they call them.  Wonder, Super, Whoop-de-do or some darn fool thing.  Prefer a wet patch for regular shooting, so I use either saliva or Ol' Thunder for that.
As far as the Daisy Patch goes, it looks pretty gimicky to me.  I had received a bag of them from October Country last May(?) and when I went to the PPR I took them along with me, thinking I might shoot time and see what I thought.  Long story short, I didn't, but I did show them to several people.  The response was pretty consistent.  Yeah?, so?, some kind of a joke?, why bother?, what's wrong with round?, and so forth.  I offered some free samples if anyone wanted to try them, but no takers.  So, there you go, FWIW.
Bottom line here, BBG is great for guns and gear, have no idea about patches.  Daisy patches, I see no reason to even bother.
John

I will agree about using greased patches for hunting. Some of my hunts are in real cold weather. At least they used to be. My concern is using a patch lube that stays soft. Mink oil does that really well. I'm guessing the bear grease will do the same. I'm surprised you like bore butter, because that got really hard in cold weather for me.

For range shooting I use Mr Flintlock for the patches. It's the old Lehigh formula, and really works good on the range. I can shoot all day with no swabbing, or loss of accuracy.

I'm surprised you had the daisy patches, and never even loaded one? I'll still give them a try. If they aren't any better I don't expect them to be any worse, and I need patches anyway.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 12:01:50 AM »
Hi Muley,
I know what you mean about BB getting hard in cold weather.  However, I carried three pre-loads in my pouch.  The powder and patched round ball were separated by a 12 ga cushion wad.  Even in sub zero weather, the rifle loaded easily.  I sure would not have taken that combination out and done target shooting with it.
Yep, I did in fact have a bag of the daisy patches, but really, I kind of go by the old adage of if it ain't broke, why try to fix it?  My ol' rifle likes the round patches just fine.
Looking forward to hearing how they work for you.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 09:30:18 AM »
I'll try them if someone at a shoot offers some. But I really believe them to be the answer to a problem that doesn't exist.
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Offline Muley

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 09:54:32 AM »
Could be a problem nobody is aware of.
Pete
TMA Member #655
Expires Dec 2017