Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: In somewhat praise of the Lyman Trade Rifle  (Read 1535 times)

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
In somewhat praise of the Lyman Trade Rifle
« on: June 04, 2015, 06:51:50 AM »

Yep, in the world of flintlock rifles it's a bottom feeder of offshore parentage.  Not rock bottom, as I've borne witness to some really terrible flinters.  I just bought another one, for the princely sum of $439/delivered direct.  Of course, no FFL required - one of the best perks of flintlock long guns.  

Cheap"  Yeah, but the LTR works well, one way or another.  

It has a pleasing late 18th and early 19th century look, with some nice brass furniture.  The fit and finish of the build is quite nice.  The wood and metal are of good quality.  The hooked barrel makes cleaning a breeze.  Besides my pair, I've shot four others that friends own, and all the triggers had a decent let off that wasn't all that hard/stiff, nor too light.  It even comes with an extra, adjustable rear barrel sight if the fixed one already on the barrel needs tweaking.  The barrel itself is quite short at 28", but that makes for good offhand pointability and its 1:48 twist is good for both balls or maxies.    

If anything, its lock and supplied cut flint might be an issue.  The flint fix is easy - just replace it with one of your faves.  The lock is a different story, with it's coiled main spring.  L&R RPL Locks has a leaf spring lock replacement (#05) that'll set one back a good $150, but is s'posed to be a near drop-in replacement that's a good improvement over the stock lock.  I might try one out.

Georgetown chert in an LTR stock lock ... click the pic for the vid ...

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Membership #291, Expires 2/11/2019
Re: In somewhat praise of the Lyman Trade Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 07:00:34 AM »
Just curious, why would someone replace the lock with a good coil spring, ( which rarely fails ) with a flat spring lock? I have owned several TC's, never a broken coil spring and one GPR, no problem with spring either. It's  not like anyone can see the coil spring and the rifle def. is not "pure" in the sense of genuine replicating a plains rifle. Is their a flint longevity issue? Thanks for your thoughts.
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291  2/11/19

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 07:18:39 AM »
i agree, gh.  maybe it's an aesthetic thing in one's mind only.  :)

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 07:43:41 AM »
Thanks for that very good video. I lerned mor than I lernd going to seveal knappins.
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline freddy

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 06:14:14 PM »
You're right coil springs seldom break, and sometimes flat/forged spring do. The LPR lock does require some wood removal in the lock recess.

The LPR hammer throw is about half the distance of the Lyman, resulting in a faster lock time ... and maybe better accuracy. My sense is, granted this is just my opinion, the lock time is faster with a flat spring rather than a coiled. Coil springs energy is reduced as the spring relaxes, far more than a flat spring. And I sure like the crisp  "snik" sound when cocking the hammer more than the  muddy "phlunk" made by a coil spring.

Bottom line, be happy with the original lock if it works OK. Get an LPR if you want. Very few persons could tell which you are shooting.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 04:46:37 PM »
If it works reliably I'd be reluctant to replace it.  You could replace the cock with the taller new cock.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 04:26:46 PM »
rfd....I always look forward to your post, always!

FWIW; and it ain't worth a lot......
I have owned a GPR Flinter for many years now, and I've owned a few "custom" guns over the years, so I do feel to be at least a little bit qualified to speak about such things.

There's good and bad in just about everything I have ever owned!
Some muzzleloaders may be a bit 'gooder' in one respect while not so good in another respect.
Other guns may be so gawd awful ugly to look at they actually smell bad, while that same gun just might shoot circles around several others, and the comparison goes on and on and.....you guys. know all to well ' perzactly' what I'm talking about.
Guns are all pretty much individuals, with their own personal little quirks.
And, there's times, when it takes a long, long time to get to get know that riflegun.

I currently own a lot of muzzleloaders, at least by some standards, but not so many according to others.
Without looking, or actually counting, I suspect I own 15 or 16, at least, perhaps even more.

Still yet, hands down, every single time I'm doing some deep thinking on a new hunting trip, or perhaps a new area where I've never hunted  before, one rifle comes to mind, so I pick up my old Lyman GPR Flinter in .54 cal.....it's that good!

What made that old rifle special?
Can't say I can rightly describe that reason....I have hunted with many, if not most of my other guns, taken Deer or Elk and some years both with a few of the others, the few smoothbores I've not hunted with I have shot clays with them.
I've had the other rifles at the range, many times, as I never take just one, and they all fall in that just OK bracket...yep, they'll work and they'll get the job done.  

In my own personal opinion, you can pay a ton of money for a new gun and never develop that warm fuzzy feelin' that you would expect while you're carrying it.
Other downright mediocre guns feel right, but you just can't count 'em, but with that old GPR it ain't that way.

When it comes to that old GPR, there ain't no fleas on that dog!

Even right out of the box, first trip to the range, as a rule with most Lyman products  it's not going to take you no week, or sometimes even months, to find out that puppy is user friendly, very forgiving, and eager to please. I've seen it time and time again.

I personally know rfd has been through several rifles since he has been a member here, I have hopes this gun treats him right, and gives him that certain feeling that can only be found when a man has the right gun in his hands.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 04:50:24 PM »
i hear ya talkin', yer words always ring true to me, russb!  i currently have 3 of lyman's investarms offerings, a pair of LTR's (one of 'em on the classifieds so eventually there's gonna be but one), and a GPR.  they's all good.  not a problematic concern with one of 'em, as i suspect is true of any of lyman's rifle offerings, ml or bpcr.

russ, i don't have nowhere near as many ml's as you, but when it's time to get dirty in the woods, bushwacking and crawling around hog country, it'll be an LTR .54 flinter for me, too.  it's rugged and too easy/fast to clean out when i get back to camp or home all tired 'n' hungry, thanx to the barrel wedge.  i prefer the long guns of the early to mid 18th century and the LTR is basically very early 19th century, but when there's a hunting task at hand sometimes function trumps form.  and that's ok by me.  :lt th

Offline mossie

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 05:29:36 PM »
I have the .54 flint Deerstalker model. It has a 24" barrel which is short but still powerful enough for woods range deer in PA. It's a good shooter and in my opinion worth what I paid for it. I like Lyman guns better than the TC's I also own. Enjoy your rifle.

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 10:01:43 PM »
I got my son (RH - left Eye dominant) a Lyman great Plains .50 LH flinter new in the box at the Monroe trade show quite a few years ago.  He was a great shot even at age 14 and the old guys loved him at the Evergreen Fort shoot for the 'lefty' spot in the Fort.  Anyway, that gun drove tacks for him right out of the box.  Dead on bead at 50 yards which made it a great Rondy gun, especially for a young boy who was able to handle the weight.  He does not shoot it as often as he used to, but still the best ML I ever bought - and I have a bunch.  My T/C .50 with the drop in 31" Fox River 1:60 barrel is a close second, but that youngin' still whips me.  Wish we shot together more often  :(
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 07:19:06 AM »
i need to get me another lyman trade rifle ... just cause i should have one.  :applaud

Offline tuscarora

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 10:45:18 AM »
actually kicked around the idea of putting together a kit gun, from lyman for a  "meat and taters" gun. Anyone here put together one of their kits?

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 07:50:12 AM »
i recently assembled a traditions "hawken style" flintlock rifle, and aside from a bad lock and trigger, that traditions fixed/replaced, it was relatively easy.  that said, and since the lyman invest-arms rifles are of a much better quality, i'd say the lyman kits will be as easy to assemble than the traditions, if not even easier.

Offline MacRob46

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 09:20:20 AM »
I have a GRRW Leman trade rifle with a Kern coil spring lock. Been shooting it for 42 years without any lock issues. True, it is not authentic but I do not walk around with the lock off the gun so nobody knows.  I would leave the coil spring alone.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 09:26:06 AM »
yes, i agree - in reality, the coil spring will probably be best if not a lot better than a leaf spring.  going to a leaf spring is strictly for traditional aesthetic period correctness, for those that care, even if you can't see that darned spring.   8)