Traditional Firearms > Cannons

Which Front Sight?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Uncle Russ:
Should be okay.
I'm not all that familiar with the JBMR.
I've been around others when they were shooting these things a bit, but I never owned one, although I have definitely wanted one for years.

IMO, the best sight is the one that's most definitive against the target for YOU.
That can mean many things to many different people, because we all just don't see or perceive the front and rear sights in the same perspective.....if you can line-up the rear sight, front sight, and a "spot" on the target in one plane, without fadeout, IMO, you're good to go.

If the gun fits you, and you can consistently hit with the sights that's on it.....it don't get no mo-betta than that, no matter which sight you're using!

Enjoy your rifle, shoot it a bunch, get to know it, and then you make the call about the sights.
A brown square blade could well be just the ticket for you....you'll know after awhile.

Over the years I have owned 2 Hatfields. I remember "thinking" I was likely going to have a problem with those rounded sights looking like one-half of a dime, haphazardly stuck on the end of the barrel, but that was not the case, they shot just fine.....but that was back in the 70's or 80's IIRC, and I'm not so sure that would be the case today.
Back in those days the Browning, and the Ithaca Mountain Rifle of the time were considered the Cadillac's of Muzzleloaders, and always just out of my reach when you could buy 3 similar rifles from DGW for less than the cost of either of these.....even the lowly Hatfield cost less than the Browning or the Ithaca.

Good luck with your new Browning Rifle!
She is indeed a beauty.

Uncle Russ...

hawkthrower:
Ok so I guess I'll throw a few cents into this thread - I started a long time ago with the "pretty" shinny silver and brass - I took all of em off and replaced them all (except on some weapons which I like to look at and don't shoot except on "special occasions"). All of my hunting rifles and pistols are fitted with a front sight similar to what Russ has described. However I also take a very fine jewelers file to the sharp edge at the very point at the back of the front sight blade where the front sight needs to align with the back sight, and knock off a 0.001ish flat at 45 degrees. the soot damps the reflections and the 45 lets my fuzzy vision see a slight difference in the blade right at the alignment so I have a reference. I found the tiny flat can also be quickly thumbed to shine if I need a bit more contrast. I too tried all sorts of stuff through the years but the one in the photo is it .065 thick 0.5 +- a bit tall, with a nice angle down to about .125 over 1.125 inches long.

I've had several discussions about sight view and aging eyes and although I cant see the rear sight, the front sight, and the target clearly all at once any more.. I have been able to make adjustments in my glasses to be able to "almost" get a clear picture. Mostly I can see the front sight and the target and I sorta fudge the fuzzy rear sight to the front one..... Old man eyes are a bane for accuracy but you can make some adjustments!!!
[attachment=0:hgptrj5a][/attachment]IMG_3892.JPG[/attachment:hgptrj5a]

Hawken:
IMO what is very important is that in some instances if a rear sight has a U type slot....the slot will be too narrow and needs opening up slightly such that the front sight can be seen with equal amounts of light being visible on either side of the front sight blade!!

rollingb:

--- Quote from: "Hawken" ---IMO what is very important is that in some instances if a rear sight has a U type slot....the slot will be too narrow and needs opening up slightly such that the front sight can be seen with equal amounts of light being visible on either side of the front sight blade!!
--- End quote ---
I like a rear sight notch with a little light on each side of the front sight too,.... I've been using this front sight (iron only) on all my rifles for many years, and it works equally well (for me) on paper, or critters.  
   Search - Track of the Wolf

sse:

--- Quote ---I've been using this front sight (iron only) on all my rifles for many years
--- End quote ---
That looks familiar...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version