Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: thompson center patriot .45 cal pistol  (Read 1876 times)

Offline buzzsaw

• TMA Forum Member
thompson center patriot .45 cal pistol
« on: February 04, 2016, 09:56:14 PM »
I just bought a very early patriot pistol with #58XX  The seller quoted that it was unfired and thought it was probably out of the custom shop due to it's high gloss blueing and gold highlighted engraving and lettering. Has anybody seen or heard of such a T/C Patriot? It came with the original manual and warranty card but nothing mentioning anything about custom. I guess i'm just wondering should I go ahead a start shooting it as for the reason I bought it or keep it as unshot and a show gun. I really think shooting is more fun than showing. Any thoughts?  

Buzzsaw.

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: thompson center patriot .45 cal pistol
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 01:05:42 PM »
I am in agreement with your thoughts on shooting vs showing.
Some pictures of the pistol would be very helpful in helping you decide, someone here may recognize a "little something" that could help you confirm your decision.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Fletcher

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.glaciertraditionalarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 07:31:38 PM »
Make sure it is checked out - but you have a right fine pistol there.

T/C had some great models they discontinued and have fallen way
down from the good old days.

:cry:
Fletcher the Arrow Maker
Montana TMA State Representative
TMA Charter Member #143 exp 11/4/18
NRA Training Counselor
BSA National Camp School Director -
Shooting Sports
NRA Life Member
Flathead Valley Muzzleloaders

Offline Dewey

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 650
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 10:42:02 PM »
My wife had one several decades ago - she won the women's pistol award in our buckskinning club with it.
It had a deep blueing, very nice wood, and a shiny brass hardware, but no gold engraving.

It was a great pistol, so, of course, we sold it long ago. One of the many pistols and rifles I should have kept....   :hairy
- Dewey

Member #650

Offline ohio ramrod

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 07:59:40 AM »
I have a standard one and it is the best pistol I have ever fired. But it takes getting used to. The front trigger sets the set trigger and the rear trigger fires the pistol. Have fun shooting your prize find.

Offline buzzsaw

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 12:36:19 PM »
Yes I have finally taken it out and I'm amazed at how well it shoots. Makes me think I might be doing something right for a change. Just a wishful thought.
Dave (buzzsaw)

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 02:27:53 PM »
Quote from: "buzzsaw"
I just bought a very early patriot pistol with #58XX  The seller quoted that it was unfired and thought it was probably out of the custom shop due to it's high gloss blueing and gold highlighted engraving and lettering. Has anybody seen or heard of such a T/C Patriot? It came with the original manual and warranty card but nothing mentioning anything about custom. I guess i'm just wondering should I go ahead a start shooting it as for the reason I bought it or keep it as unshot and a show gun. I really think shooting is more fun than showing. Any thoughts?  

Buzzsaw.

I've had a few (4) muzzleloaders over the years, that came through the T/C Custom Shop (aka: Fox Ridge Outfitters - R.I.P.), and every one of them carried upgraded/fancy Walnut & a high-polish blue - but never any gold highlighting.

I have, however, applied gold enamel myself, to the lettering/stamping on some guns - so would opine that the gold on your Patriot was applied aftermarket.

While I've always taken care when loading (freehand) my .45 Patriot's (it was also made in .36cal), many folks have cracked the Patriot's stock @ the wrist by loading one in a hardstand that holds the gun vertically for loading, applying too much pressure when seating a PRB.

The Patriot has the same lightweight, thin (13/16" across-the-flats) barrel & downsized (compared to Hawken's)  lock as the Cherokee & Seneca rifles - and spare parts have been made of unobtainium since the building where the downsized guns were made burnt to the ground, with a loss of all Cherokee/Patriot/Seneca parts, plans & special machinery.

I would respectfully suggest shooting it as you please, instead of leaving it as a safe queen.

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 02:51:12 PM »
oops   :Doh!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 08:10:57 PM by PetahW »
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline buzzsaw

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 07:04:01 PM »
Thanks PetahW for the information. I'm using a homemade loading stand I built, but so far it hasn't been too much pressure starting the prb. If I decide to go tighter fit I'll not use the stand. The groups so far are probably as good as I'm capable of with these old eyes and nerves anyway. Four to six inch groups at 25 yards. My other Kentucky pistol I'm happy to hit the paper.

Offline hilljack

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »
Nice find they are wonderful shooters...I have two and one that I made into a traditional plow handle for competition....Both of mine are 40 cals....My second one has a serial #24XX and I had a hard time getting it to group I called a friend of mine and he said some of the early ones had cut off barrels from the Cherokees and Seneca...And I checked it out and found that he was right and I changed it out for for a 40 cal with a 1-20 twist and the pistol shoots really great...Enjoy it,you have a very nice piece

YMHS
Hilljack

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 08:25:03 PM »

Since, AFAIK, T/C never catalogued the Patriot as available in 40cal, where did you obtain the barrel(s) ?

The T/C Custom Shop (aka: Fox Ridge Outfitters, R.I.P.) ?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:45:29 PM by PetahW »
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

Offline hilljack

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 07:58:14 PM »
Your right and Joe Williams with the Gun Works has the barrels and breaches, either he can change them for you or in my case I did it myself, it takes a couple hours work...The 1-20 twist barrels work very well with 15 grains of powder...I use the same charge for 25 and 50 yards... The telephone for them is 1-541-741-4118, ask for Joe Williams..

YMHS
Hilljack