Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: basic semi-buckhorn sight question...  (Read 694 times)

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
basic semi-buckhorn sight question...
« on: October 09, 2015, 07:18:34 PM »
I know you guys might think this is silly, but me and a friend began a conversation about full buckhorn sights. What little results i could find through search on "semi buckhorn", I didnt see any mention of what is the intended use behind semi buckhorn, as opposed to full buckhorn. Full buckhorn sights i thought were basically a cutout peep sight, so long range shots would not end up with the front blade interfering with the top of the peep, hence the cut out.

But what about semi buckhorn? are they supposed to be used the same way? There are many different types of "semi buckhorn" from what i can tell, this may be a very relative question. Daddy was a marine, and taught me how to shoot iron sights, along with fine bead and full bead use. So im bringing that mind set to the semi buckhorn discussion, not sure if it applies or not, seems to work though.

I have a cva bobcat, that has what i'd call semi buckhorns on it, but i think its supposed to be use like regular iron sights that align across the top, with the tip of the horns and the tip of the post all in a line, or what i'd call full bead.

Any thoughts? I'd sure like to hear about some history or personal experience.

Fine bead

Full bead

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
Re: basic semi-buckhorn sight question...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 02:19:48 PM »
Dogbyte, What you have is not a semi buckhorn sight; it is simply a sight - I have a few guns with that sight - with tiny ears on the edges.  A semi buckhorn will come up about 50% to 75% of the curve height of a full buckhorn.  On some of my guns I have filed the ears flat so the blade is straight all the way across.  The sight as is works just fine using the sight notch; the ears play no part in sighting other as merely a frame.  You can leave it or file the ears off, it doesn't matter.  It's a common sight used on muzzleloaders both factory and custom.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Dogbyte

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 12:02:15 PM »
thank you Hanshi, i learned something. i sorta like having the ears on there, i dapped white out on the blade and the ears, helps me in low light, the white ears can be used as a relative way to judge where the v notch is  when its hard to see.

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 03:33:19 PM »
I normally leave them on the sight as well.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline PetahW

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 08:49:19 PM »

NRA Life Member since 1971
USAF Vet (Vietnam era)
Boy Scouts of America

EVERYONE HAS A HIDDEN TALENT THEY DIDN"T KNOW ABOUT UNTIL TEQUILA...

Offline bubba_50

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 10:56:22 PM »
that's very informative & interestin' I always assumed the "horns" were just for protection or some such.