Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Newbie needs some help  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Rusty Gunn

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 785
Newbie needs some help
« on: August 04, 2016, 05:20:16 PM »
New to the forum and have a question. I have a T/C 50 cap lock purchased in 1974 that I am comfortable with, I also have a newer GPR in 50 cal flint that I would like some help with. The problem is that the GPR springs are way too strong. I'd like some guidance in tuning the springs or a replacement source. The main spring is IMO way too heavy and destroys good flints in very few shots. The frizzen spring is also > 30# pull( crude measure method). I am not new to firearms and am comfortable in changing or grinding v springs. Can someone suggest spring weights that I can strive for to get some decent life out of good quality English flints with the Lyman lock rather than change out to an L&R or?
Thank you
 Ed
When the time comes to shoot, shoot straight it helps.

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
Re: Newbie needs some help
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 05:42:24 PM »
i have a gpr flinter in .50 as well, a kit i put together and posted at this thread - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21475

i've had way more than a few of these investarms flintlock rifles (rebranded as lyman, cabelas, dixie gun works, and others) and the locks are all the same, and all use a coil spring instead of the classic flat spring for the cock.  

i don't think that investarms offers different coil spring weights, but it wouldn't hurt to check.  fwiw, i like that heavy cock spring as it yields a fast lock time.  in setting up the flint, i'll close the frizzen over the pan, set the cock to half, set the flint in the cock's jaws so that its cutting edge is about 1/16" to 1/8" away from the frizzen and tighten it down (i use a leather wrap over the flint, as most of us do).  bevel up or down?  experiment to see where the flint strikes the frizzen and at what angle, which should not be so perpendicular as to want to bust off its edge.

as to the frizzen's flat spring, i guess you could make a new one, or retemper it, or change its angle for a softer frizzen action.  a stiff frizzen never bothered me, and if the flint's angle is correct it'll strike the frizzen's face at just the right angle to both shave metal and push it off the pan.

i get really good cock and frizzen action on the gpr kit i just built, and good sparks too.  

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 05:58:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Rusty Gunn.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 07:19:43 PM »
Hi Rusty Gunn, and welcome to our TMA website.  :rt th

For Investarms "parts", you might check this site out,..... Hawken Cap & Ball Rifle;Bob's Gun Shop. Excam Import by Invest Arms
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 08:01:24 PM »
good parts resource, rondo!  :bl th up

yes, you can remove the frizzen spring and all will be just fine at the range ... but for hunting or woods walks, you'll need to monitor that frizzen and pan so she don't spill off the priming powder.  best bet would be to work with the existing spring to make it weaker.  there are some gunsmiths hereabouts who could surely help in that manner. but what'll still be critical is the angle that the flint edge strikes the frizzen face.  during that adjustment, watch that the flint doesn't get pushed too far back in the cock's jaws as to have the top jaw whack the frizzen face before the flint!  8)   ;)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 08:22:44 PM »
When/if reducing a flat spring's tension by material removal, always carefully do it on the "outside" edge of the spring,... never on the "flat" of the spring or "inside" edge.  :rt th
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Rusty Gunn

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 09:43:27 AM »
Thank you all for the help. Before I change anything, I'm going to get a larger variety of flints to try with both leather and lead wraps.
Ed

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 09:51:52 AM »
remember, flint position counts a big bunch.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 10:10:57 AM »
Quote from: "Rusty Gunn"
Thank you all for the help. Before I change anything, I'm going to get a larger variety of flints to try with both leather and lead wraps.
Ed
In my experience with using lead wraps, they add to the "impact" of the flint striking the frizzen because of the added weight (which will likely compound the problem you're having now).
Also when using lead, you will find yourself having to re-tighten the jaws of the cock (more often) or the flint will become loose.

IMHO,.... leather wraps just plain work better than lead (at least for me).  :rt th

YMMV
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 10:48:48 AM »
+1 on leather wraps over lead wraps.

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 02:34:35 PM »
Quote from: "rfd"
+1 on leather wraps over lead wraps.
+2
Having tried both. too many times to count, I settled on leather many years ago.

Uncle Russ....
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 03:55:11 PM »
+3.  Leather is the way to go.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Two Steps

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 05:04:30 PM »
You didn't mention what size flint you're using.  TOW recommends their number 5 (5/8") flint for the GPR.  That's one of the smaller flint sizes.
What rfd about setting your flint is a +1 from me.  You might also lower your cock all the way down (as if you'd just shot the GPR) and look at the position of your flint...it should be pointing into the pan.
Good luck on getting her to work the way you want...it's a good solid rifle  :rt th
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Rusty Gunn

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 05:47:11 PM »
Update, I bought several different flints and am happy with the TOTW black english flints.
Using a leather wrap and a small wood flat toothpick shim under the bottom rear of the flint, I'm getting about 80 shots from the flints with good spark and minimum reknapping.
I'm happy with this rifle. Thanks for evveryones help.
RG

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 05:53:12 PM »
awesome news, rusty!  :bl th up