Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: everything to know about the '58 NMA ...  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: everything to know about the '58 NMA ...
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2016, 06:39:05 PM »
Thanks Rob... The spare cylinders will only work in the '58 Pietta Revolver (on your right looking at the picture), they won't fit the 40 year old Navy Arms (on your left looking at the picture), so that's why I have the pouch on the belt, it has paper cartridges and caps in it for the Navy Arms Revolver.

I only load 5 shots to a cylinder, so with this set up and all cylinders loaded and the paper cartridges I can shoot up to 40 rounds. (25 through the Navy Arms, and 15 through the Pietta), though both Revolvers take the same paper cartridge.

When I was younger, these were a whole lot of fun, and they still are if I'd just find the time to get out and shoot 'em.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline mandack

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2016, 08:43:16 PM »
I have started loading using rollingb's method of putting a 50/50 "wad" between powder and ball and I'll tell you it makes for an easy to clean revolver at the end of the day. After a month plus and hundreds of rounds through 1858s, 1860s, a Walker and my 1849 Pocket, cleaning is a breeze. As I have said before, I always throw away the factory nipples and replace them with #11s from Track of the Wolf, they fit American 11s way better than the European nipples with no jams. Here is my latest baby, just showed up today. 1851 Colt Navy .36 deluxe (Pietta designation yandlig36). I already have the replacement nipples waiting, tomorrow I will take it down and clean it and put the new nips in before taking it to the club saturday. BTW, the picture does not do it justice.
Defending America with 19th Century Technology

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2016, 09:51:38 PM »
Quote from: "mandack"
I have started loading using rollingb's method of putting a 50/50 "wad" between powder and ball and I'll tell you it makes for an easy to clean revolver at the end of the day. After a month plus and hundreds of rounds through 1858s, 1860s, a Walker and my 1849 Pocket, cleaning is a breeze. As I have said before, I always throw away the factory nipples and replace them with #11s from Track of the Wolf, they fit American 11s way better than the European nipples with no jams. Here is my latest baby, just showed up today. 1851 Colt Navy .36 deluxe (Pietta designation yandlig36). I already have the replacement nipples waiting, tomorrow I will take it down and clean it and put the new nips in before taking it to the club saturday. BTW, the picture does not do it justice.
That's pretty!  :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6