Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A Few Cannon Shot Pictures  (Read 3363 times)

Spotted Bull

A Few Cannon Shot Pictures
« on: March 03, 2020, 06:46:59 AM »
A few from our recent cannon school

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: A Few Cannon Shot Pictures
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 08:56:33 AM »
Every once in a while before our kids grew up into adult's, we use to go to places like Ft. Laramie, Ft. Union - and back in those days the Forts use to keep quite a few reenactment groups on site... It was great to see the American Mountain Men, and some "period" Infantry Units at these places - doing reenactment...

Anyway, we always made sure to gather for the firing of the cannon at Ft. Laramie in the afternoon when we would be there visiting... Same deal at Ft. Kearney...

Our last visit to Ft. Laramie, (2 to 3 years ago), it was nice to see them trying to work their way back to those days of reenactment groups after 8 years of government neglect of our Nations historical sites.  :bl th up

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline dave951

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 09:13:00 AM »
Blanks or LIVE rounds?

We don't do blanks in the North South Skirmish Association and we shoot cannon for score.
The well appointed gentleman can never have too much red wine, too many good books, nor too much ammunition at his disposal.

Spotted Bull

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 09:15:51 AM »
These were all blank rounds. We don't shoot'em live. We really don't have a range long enough. We like the smoke and the noise!

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 09:30:26 AM »
Blanks at the places the family and I have visited.

However, at the Ft. Robinson Rendezvous back in (2001 or 2002?) one of the guys brought a Civil War cannon with him - and shot live rounds... His first shot took out the upper part of a tree on Soldier Creek... Not quite enough elevation - but a spectacular shower of wood splinters flying everywhere... Kind'a drove home the point that you don't necessarily need to use "grape-shot" when you have trees available to act as "Mother Natures" shrapnel...

He didn't hit no more trees after that first shot...  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline dave951

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 11:47:47 AM »
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
I'm using a linstock to light off another round. Cannon is a replica of a "Parrot" styled rifled howitzer. Like most snub nose guns, muzzleblast is beyond obnoxious in live fire. We finished 4th out of 12 guns at that match.
The well appointed gentleman can never have too much red wine, too many good books, nor too much ammunition at his disposal.

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 03:34:12 PM »
What is that Dave, about 300 yards?

Kees
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline dave951

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 12:17:12 AM »
It's only a 100yd. We shoot further in Winchester. There are guys that shoot one hole groups at 100 and it can be hard to score them. In the match in the picture, the scoring consisted of an 8in bullseye and 6 hanging tiles. Great fun even if we lose.

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 03:29:37 AM »
 :hairy

Good job, Dave
I've always love the sight, sound, and smell of real cannon fire, However....all I have personally are two small miniature cannons in 30 caliber, enough to make one jump if they're not expecting it, plus I have touched them off precious few times.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline peterh

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 787
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 12:20:36 PM »
At the Big Island Rendezvous in Albert Lea MN.  We do live fire demos, 3 times a day with a cannon built in 1863, plus i do live fire with my 24 pound 5.8 inch bore mortar. We also do blank fire demos.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 02:58:02 PM »
In 1992 or 1993 ? a very close friend of mine passed away.  He was the sort of fellow who never met a gun that he didn't like.  So, his memorial was set at the rifle range in Farragut Park in North Idaho.  The scene was amazing, there were cars in the parking lot from about every state in the Western US.  Anyway, John Grenn had built a mountain howitzer, with a maybe 3" bore.  We took some aluminum foil and rounded it and folded over one end, then filled it with some of the ashes.  I think we used a charge of about 1,000 grains of Fg powder, slid the foil bullet down the bore and packed it over with some wadding, stuck a fuse into the touch hole, lit it and stood back.  At about 75 yards, the foil ruptured and there was a pretty good grey cloud out over the range.  One of the spectators said in a stage whisper, "Damn, what a way to go !!!"
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 02:33:56 PM »
In 1992 or 1993 ? a very close friend of mine passed away.  He was the sort of fellow who never met a gun that he didn't like.  So, his memorial was set at the rifle range in Farragut Park in North Idaho.  The scene was amazing, there were cars in the parking lot from about every state in the Western US.  Anyway, John Grenn had built a mountain howitzer, with a maybe 3" bore.  We took some aluminum foil and rounded it and folded over one end, then filled it with some of the ashes.  I think we used a charge of about 1,000 grains of Fg powder, slid the foil bullet down the bore and packed it over with some wadding, stuck a fuse into the touch hole, lit it and stood back.  At about 75 yards, the foil ruptured and there was a pretty good grey cloud out over the range.  One of the spectators said in a stage whisper, "Damn, what a way to go !!!"

That's what my Wife and Son have been instructed to do with my ashes, take 1/2 of them to the PLR rondy, have everyone load blackpowder , then some of beaves powder and send me down range, then pour everybody a shot of my favorite Tequila! the other half go to my favorite hunting spot above Cle Elum.
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 08:28:15 AM »

:yessir: A proper and fitting send off fur sure...we all should go out with such a bang.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan