Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Rendered some bear fat this past weekend  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Darren Haverstick

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Board of Directors, TMA Treasurer
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member.
Rendered some bear fat this past weekend
« on: April 04, 2017, 08:33:55 AM »
I have probably 30 pounds of bear fat in my freezer that I saved back from a hunt I went on a few years ago. I finally got around to rendering some of it out this past weekend. I read several threads and articles on the process and decided on cooking mine down in a slow cooker. I also read several times that it was okay to render the fat in the house if I was single but if I was married and wanted to stay that way then I had better do it outside. I am glad I heeded that advice!

I started with about 5 pounds of fat which I cut up into little chunks. I then put those chunks through my meat grinder using the wagon wheel plate. I poured about a quarter inch of water in the bottom of my crock, threw in the bear fat, and turned it on low to cook. I stirred the stuff around every now and then and in about 2 1/2 hours the result was a clear liquid with a bunch of cracklins in the bottom. Man, did my dogs love those cracklins!

This is what the grease looked like right out of the crock.

I poured the grease into a large dutch oven so it could cool and congeal. I had my daughter help me with this task. My sense of smell was severely damaged in a car wreck years ago but I could tell by her lip curling and derogatory comments that the liquid had an unpleasant aroma. I put the dutch oven up out of the reach of the hounds and let it set for a day. The dogs certainly didn't mind the smell.

This is what the grease looked like after a day of cooling.

I was surprised that the grease hadn't hardened up any more than it did. I'm not sure if I didn't cook it long enough, or at a high enough temperature, or what. Maybe that is the way it is supposed to be. You folks who have done this before might be able to answer that. Whatever the case, it will serve my purposes as it is. I will only be using it to lube patches and wads.

I had my wife help me pour the grease into 2 quart jars. Her reaction was the same as my daughter's so I guess the stuff does have an odor about it. I used a little to grease some patches and wads for turkey season and then put the jars in the freezer. I reckon I have enough to last me 10 years or so.

I shot my turkey gun a few times with the bear greased wads and patches but didn't notice any difference when cleaning it. I don't care, I still think it's cool!

Darren

Offline Sneakon

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Rendered some bear fat this past weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 09:05:25 AM »
Yep, that is cool!
Shining Times!
Sneakon
TMA Charter Member #76 expires 7/12/12

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Rendered some bear fat this past weekend
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 11:14:12 AM »
Nice write up! I have a small jar of bear grease I obtained in a swap about 10 years ago. One of these days I am going to mix it with some wax to make patch lube. I would be interested  in hearing any recipes anyone might have for making patch lube with bear grease and wax.
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe