Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: May Comments For Our May 2017 Paper Silhouettes Results  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: May Comments For Our May 2017 Paper Silhouettes Results
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 10:12:03 AM »
Darn it all,,, three days off and I can't even get to my local Range to shoot my May Targets! Rain/Rain/Rain, and more Rain! Oh well, there's only a 60% chance of rain on Wednesday - so maybe then? I don't want to complain too much as I remember those (days - weeks - months & years) of drought we've had in the past out here where I live. However, you might say this does put a damper on my plans... :Doh!
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 03:27:26 PM »
Paulk, received your targets for May, your score is posted! :bl th up

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »
I slipped out this morning and shot the targets for May.  Nothing to brag about, but it is what it is.  Strange thing, when I dry fire in the house the sights are rock steady on the target.  I got out to the 25 yard line and they were rocking and rolling!  :laffing  Either that, or the targets were doing a dance.

The club had put up foam targets for the archers.  After I was done shooting (and I was the only one there) I let the dogs out of the car to run a bit.  They saw the boar target and went ballistic!  The photo show the husky and cavashon checking it out; the little black female stayed safely behind me, growling at this new critter.  When i called them back to get in the car, the husky was very reluctant to come.  He really was interested in that strange interloper!

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Mad Irish Jack

• Rangers of the Ohio Company
  • TMA Member: Tma Member #796
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 04:31:53 PM »
I went out to shoot on Wednesday. Bad HI humidity. I shot 2 mags of 9mm and was dripping in sweat from the humidity. I HATE humidity and BP; they aren't good friends. Went home and visited the range yesterday. 73 degrees and low humidity. Started at the pistol range with .357 and 25 rounds. Good Day.
Moved to the rifle range 45 rounds of .22 cal. @ 50 yards and the wind was negligible. Put up 1 May target and thanks to the healthy black outlines, they kept me clean. I went into the club for a pop and food. Watched an outdoor show and around 4:50 headed back to the range. I shot the other May target and wished my first would have been as good. The left elbow feels fine and no after shooting problems. I mailed it in last night. I feel the practice targets helped understand the shots. I cut three of three cards just for fun and to show the other guys there the attainable accuracy of flintlocks.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
   The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 10:27:20 PM »
I slipped out this morning and shot the targets for May.  Nothing to brag about, but it is what it is.  Strange thing, when I dry fire in the house the sights are rock steady on the target.  I got out to the 25 yard line and they were rocking and rolling!  :laffing  Either that, or the targets were doing a dance.

The club had put up foam targets for the archers.  After I was done shooting (and I was the only one there) I let the dogs out of the car to run a bit.  They saw the boar target and went ballistic!  The photo show the husky and cavashon checking it out; the little black female stayed safely behind me, growling at this new critter.  When i called them back to get in the car, the husky was very reluctant to come.  He really was interested in that strange interloper!

~WH~

I'm seeing 9 hits WH. Touches count as hits in this paper game per our rules, so I think you did all right. :bl th up May not be the grouping you were hoping for, but you still got 9!

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 05:35:09 PM »
Well, the targets are in the mail although that means they won't leave our fine village until tomorrow after 4:00 pm.  Then you can look at them and see if they really ARE touching.  I still think the critters are alive and running back & forth!  :laffing

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 06:15:48 PM »
Well, the targets are in the mail although that means they won't leave our fine village until tomorrow after 4:00 pm.  Then you can look at them and see if they really ARE touching.  I still think the critters are alive and running back & forth!  :laffing

~WH~

I think the one in question is that Turkey leg shot. Even from 1200+ miles away, it still looks like a nick/touch to me. but we'll see when they get here. Thanks WH for taking part in this. I think it's a'lot of fun. I'm going to try and get mine shot (well - shot at) this coming Wednesday.  :shake

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 08:10:31 PM »
dmarsh and blackpowderbill, your May score's are posted. Thanks for taking part!  :toast

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 09:17:02 PM »
Okay, tomorrows plan,,, get out to the Range and shoot my May silhouette targets.

Finally, a day without rain is the forecast for Wednesday...  I can live with a 7 to 10 mph cross wind out of the south... Then, I'm gonna go watch my grandson play baseball tomorrow evening. Both will be good times!  :bl th up (Well, don't know how the shooting will go, but I'm just happy for a decent day to go shooting.)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 01:26:06 PM »
Here's my May targets I shot this morning. That 7 to 10 MPH wind I talked about last night only blew when I would go to the firing line six feet away from where I was loading. At least it sure seemed that way. I feel lucky to get out of there this morning with 8 of 10. It could have been worse. (Chicken 1/3, Pig 2/2, Ram 2/2, Turkey 3/3)...

I went with my Dickert style Ed Rayl 36 inch barreled .40 caliber caplock this morning (1 in 72 twist - .010 depth Round Bottom Rifling) my load was 45 grains 2fg Goex, .018 patch & .395 ball... I think I need to thin my front sight just a hair on both sides. I had installed a thicker front brass blade sight on this rifle some time ago and just widened the "V" notch last weekend. I know, an untested sight for silhouettes, but I was itching to find out where I was with them.

Anyway, a day/morning at the Range is better then a morning at work... :bl th up
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:37:23 PM by Ohio Joe »

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 03:03:18 PM »
Those chickens are tough to hit; they duck & run on ya!  Looks good to me, wish I had solid hits like you do!  :hairy

~WH~
NMLRA Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 03:20:26 PM »
Those chickens are tough to hit; they duck & run on ya!  Looks good to me, wish I had solid hits like you do!  :hairy

~WH~

Oh I don't have that many solid hits WH. Wish I did! I have solid misses! :)

I just received Mad Irish Jack's targets and they have solid hits. Nice shooting MIJ!  :bl th up
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:22:24 PM by Ohio Joe »

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2017, 06:50:57 PM »
Nice shooting, Joe!  You know, my problem isn't seeing those chickens, but hitting them! :laffing  I'm sure you'll do better on a calm day.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 11:01:27 PM »
 :laffing

Maven, I wonder if I should try nicking them? Who knows, I might hit 'em!   :pray: :applaud
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:54:43 AM by Ohio Joe »

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2017, 02:14:17 PM »

~WH~

Winter Hawk, I've just reviewed your targets (they just arrived) and your score of 9 stands!  :bl th up

That turkey leg shot is boarder line touch and nick but you're covered either way under our Scoring Rules, and it is good! Nice shooting!  :shake