Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New TMA Smoothbore Match (Trial Run)  (Read 9198 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: New TMA Smoothbore Match (Trial Run)
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2017, 02:39:53 PM »
Decided yesterday that I better make a 110 grain 2fg charger, so I did.  I've heard, read here, and saw on youtube, that 110 grains of the 2fg seems to be an accepted standard load for wadding loads so I'm going to try this on my next outing (2fg powder, wad, ball, wad). I've been using the 1fg that I have and will also continue testing with that, (I haven't checked but I think this charger should throw 100 to 105 grains of 1fg)...

I could just use my adjustable chargers, but what the heck,,, was feeling like making something.  :bl th up

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »
Joe, I've known you for many years now, and, IMHO you are always looking for an excuse to "just make something".
Can't say I'm a lot different in that respect, especially when it comes to them stinkin ol' smoke poles.

Keep us posted on your grouping progress!
Personally, I'm of the opinion that you will see an improvement in groups as you progress with this.
But then again, what would I know? I'm the guy that just totally gave up on a .69 cal. and was never happy with the "groups" I got from a very nice .62.

However, I am of the opinion that smoothbores are no different than guns that are rifled, in the sense that everyone is a science within itself, with no one single cure that covers accuracy in every Smoothie, just as there no one single cure for accuracy in Rifled Guns.

And, knowing you as I do, you are really going to enjoy this little journey.... :lol sign

:hairy

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2017, 04:02:26 PM »
Joe, I've known you for many years now, and, IMHO you are always looking for an excuse to "just make something".
Can't say I'm a lot different in that respect, especially when it comes to them stinkin ol' smoke poles.

I do enjoy the tinkering aspect of this black powder addiction, that's for sure!  :hairy

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2017, 07:08:41 PM »
Joe, The Sept./Oct. '17 Muzzleloader magazine has a Mike Nesbitt article, "Trade Gun Fun," which may interest you, though not because of its content.  Rather, Nesbitt's photographs of two of the paper targets (attached below) may be something to consider for a future smoothbore match. The "moonshine jug target" as Nesbitt calls it is from the Puget Sound Free Trappers/Evergreen Sportsmen's Club in WA.  The second target is available from the American Target Co.  Btw, the distances of some of the trade gun targets at the "frolic" Mike wrote about are rather long, e.g., 80 yd., but I witnessed a hit on a 6 ft. oxygen tank gong @ 125 yd. with a 20ga. smoothie at a woods walk on 8/27.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:07:36 AM by Maven »

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2017, 08:01:50 PM »
Joe, The Sept./Oct. '17 Muzzleloader magazine has a Mike Nesbitt article, "Trade Gun Fun," which interest you, though not because of its content.  Rather, Nesbitt's photographs of two of the paper targets (attached below) may be something to consider for a future smoothbore match. The "moonshine jug target" as Nesbitt calls it is from the Puget Sound Free Trappers/Evergreen Sportsmen's Club in WA.  The second target is available from the American Target Co.  Btw, the distances of some of the trade gun targets at the "frolic" Mike wrote about are rather long, e.g., 80 yd., but I witnessed a hit on a 6 ft. oxygen tank gong @ 125 yd. with a 20ga. smoothie at a woods walk on 8/27.

We may just borrow that idea, Maven!  :hairy  :shake