Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: New TMA Smoothbore Match (Trial Run)  (Read 9253 times)

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: New TMA Smoothbore Match (Trial Run)
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2017, 05:16:02 PM »
Well Uncle Russ and Rob, with those targets you two have chased "all the kids off the block!" including this one! Whipped before I even primed the pan! Maybe I can hit paper if I use buck..................
Lynn,... I was thinkin' the same thing.  :o
Russ,.... if we can't out-shoot ya, maybe with enough cover we can at least surround ya and make ya say "uncle".  :laffing
I just bought another Northstar West trade gun today (that's the 2nd. one in about a month).  :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2017, 06:06:14 PM »
Well Uncle Russ and Rob, with those targets you two have chased "all the kids off the block!" including this one! Whipped before I even primed the pan! Maybe I can hit paper if I use buck..................
Russ,.... if we can't out-shoot ya, maybe with enough cover we can at least surround ya and make ya say "uncle".  :laffing
I just bought another Northstar West trade gun today (that's the 2nd. one in about a month).  :bl th up

Make me say Uncle???  :applaud

Rondo, You'll never believe who I though of when I read that!!
Do you remember, from years and years back, a fella named "Maxi-Ball"?
Back in the days when we were all on the old shooters dot com?
I can't remember his real name for the life of me, but he is the one that first started calling me Uncle Russ...then the Paso Del Norte bunch started, then the GRMM started, it seems to have just stuck.

Another new Gun?
WOW! When I grow up I wanna be just like you and Rob, and Joe!
Take a new gun to the range every time I go...lol

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2017, 06:45:40 PM »

Make me say Uncle???  :applaud

Rondo, You'll never believe who I though of when I read that!!
Do you remember, from years and years back, a fella named "Maxi-Ball"?
Back in the days when we were all on the old shooters dot com?
I can't remember his real name for the life of me, but he is the one that first started calling me Uncle Russ...then the Paso Del Norte bunch started, then the GRMM started, it seems to have just stuck.

Another new Gun?
WOW! When I grow up I wanna be just like you and Rob, and Joe!
Take a new gun to the range every time I go...lol

Uncle Russ...
Yeah Russ,.... I remember ol' Maxi-Ball, he was quite a character, I wonder if he's still around on some other website.  :laffing

I don't know about Joe, and Rob,.... but I'm gonna keep buyin' these things 'til I get one that shoots center each'n every shot, day or night, summer'n winter, right-handed or left-handed.  :bl th up :) :toast :*:
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2017, 09:17:23 PM »
I recall Maxi-Ball on the Muzzle Loading Forum and perhaps even Greybeards Forum, but I haven't seen any of his posts for years.

If Rondo gets tired of the first Northstar West TG and he brings it to Rondy next year,,, who knows??? I'll mow the weeds down for him before he and Beth arrive, set up their camp when they arrive, fetch 'em water and ice, pick the tics off 'em, make them a comfortable campfire, cook and serve them breakfeast, lunch, and dinner, and tuck 'em in at night,,, and just treat those fine (and I do mean, Fine folks) the way they ought to be 'cause they're my best'us friends, and I'll even volunteer to take those NSW TG's out for a little exercise when needed!  :hairy
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:19:35 PM by Ohio Joe »
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2017, 11:51:07 PM »
I recall Maxi-Ball on the Muzzle Loading Forum and perhaps even Greybeards Forum, but I haven't seen any of his posts for years.

If Rondo gets tired of the first Northstar West TG and he brings it to Rondy next year,,, who knows??? I'll mow the weeds down for him before he and Beth arrive, set up their camp when they arrive, fetch 'em water and ice, pick the tics off 'em, make them a comfortable campfire, cook and serve them breakfeast, lunch, and dinner, and tuck 'em in at night,,, and just treat those fine (and I do mean, Fine folks) the way they ought to be 'cause they're my best'us friends, and I'll even volunteer to take those NSW TG's out for a little exercise when needed!  :hairy

"Pic the ticks of 'em at night"...... :lol sign :applaud

:hairy
You guys crack me up!

Uncle Russ...

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2017, 01:29:59 AM »

WELL  :o,........ that certainly sounds like an offer that'll be hard to refuse.  :laffing :shake :toast :*: :hairy
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2017, 08:06:08 AM »

"Pic the ticks of 'em at night"...... :lol sign :applaud

:hairy
You guys crack me up!

Uncle Russ...

That ol' tic pickin' can be a deal maker for sure!  :laffing  :toast

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2017, 09:14:57 PM »
My smoothbore target is on its way.  This it the first time I have ever shot a RB out of a smoothy.  Also the first time I shot this gun.  The gun is a T/C Hawken that I got for free from a guy who built it as a kit, shot it about 10 rounds and then put it in his damp basement uncleaned.  She was a rust bucket so I sent the barrel to Bobby Hoyt and told him to bore it out as big as he could do safely.  So now although the barrel says 45 she is a 58.  I redid the stock and browned the barrel.  I have tried to post pictures of the target and gun but they don't show up when I hit preview so I don't know if they'll show when I hit post.  Not sure what I am doing wrong. 

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2017, 09:25:25 PM »
Good looking target, Dave!  I'm gonna have to Google Bobby Hoyt and see about maybe making my Pennsylvania Hunter a .54...

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2017, 06:55:36 AM »
WH, thanks.  I just leave it up to Bobby as to safety.  It all depends on the depths of the sight and pin in-letting depths.  No rear sight on this one at least so far.  Bobby's number is (717) 642-6696.  Headed for our remote cabin in Vermont this morning so will be off the grid for a couple of weeks.   :hairy

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »
Nice target for your 1st outing with RB's in that gun, Dave! :bl th up

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2017, 01:06:10 PM »
My smoothbore target is on its way.  This it the first time I have ever shot a RB out of a smoothy.  Also the first time I shot this gun.  The gun is a T/C Hawken that I got for free from a guy who built it as a kit, shot it about 10 rounds and then put it in his damp basement uncleaned.  She was a rust bucket so I sent the barrel to Bobby Hoyt and told him to bore it out as big as he could do safely.  So now although the barrel says 45 she is a 58.  I redid the stock and browned the barrel.  I have tried to post pictures of the target and gun but they don't show up when I hit preview so I don't know if they'll show when I hit post.  Not sure what I am doing wrong. 

Dave

Dave, IMHO, that is good, real good, for a smoothbore.
Over the years I have been witness to guys shooting their smoothbores where I just turned green with envy.
Many of them whuppin my butt while I was shooting a rifled rifle...and I'm not all that bad with my rifles....it's just that they were that good, using only a bead for a sight....Grrrrrr!  :bow

In fact, over the years I have spent some pretty big bucks on smoothbores, all in the hopes of learning to shoot them just like those guys do, but it has all been to no avail. I just can't seem to get the hang of sighting those things!

I wish it was otherwise, but it is what it is.

BTW: I can see your pictures just fine.
(Most of the time it's the other way around for me.)

Uncle Russ...

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2017, 12:50:26 AM »
We finally got a little break in the weather so I hope to get out to the woods tomorrow and do some shooting,  including my last-place winning target in the smoothbore shoot. As Uncle Russ can confirm,  we have had a long, hot dry spell in these parts.  Come on, fall weather!   :bl th up
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2017, 11:38:40 AM »
We finally got a little break in the weather so I hope to get out to the woods tomorrow and do some shooting,  including my last-place winning target in the smoothbore shoot. As Uncle Russ can confirm,  we have had a long, hot dry spell in these parts.  Come on, fall weather!   :bl th up

Good Luck John!
YES! We have had the hottest, driest , summer in years.

When we have those three digit days that occur one right after the other, you just can't hide from the heat...it's everywhere!
Get out if you can John...today, and even this entire week, is supposed to be a bit cooler, actually a lot cooler than what we've been seeing.

Uncle Russ...

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2017, 08:52:21 AM »
Well, tomorrow (August 15th) I'm going to go shoot my smoothie and see if I can hit at least one scoring Ring in the, No Rear Sight Class...  :pray:

This was a good idea that Maven came up with by golly!  :bl th up  Counting myself, and dmarsh's target, and amm1851's, when they arrive - this will give us 9 participants to date, which I expect will grow a bit more since we have until the end of August.

Mighty good suggestion, Maven!  :toast

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:54:58 AM by Ohio Joe »