ARE YOU A FORMER MEMBER AND REQUIRE FORUM ACCESS ASSISTANCE?

Author Topic: Now I've gone and done it!  (Read 255 times)

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Member
  • TMA Member: 806
Now I've gone and done it!
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:58:56 PM »
I've been lurking around long enough. Now I've gone and done it! Joined up that is.

After several months of reading the forum posts and asking a few questions all resulting in my black powder, muzzle loader knowledge growing by leaps and bounds I decided to come right out and admit I'm hooked. Yeah, I'm hooked on black powder, muzzle stuffing, tomahawk throwing, knife making, dressing like a mountain man and letting my beard grow out as long as I want.

The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.

Offline amm1851

• TMA Member
  • TMA Member: 768
Re: Now I've gone and done it!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 10:28:20 PM »
Welcome to the dark (black power) side. I am sure you will find it a strangely addictive pastime, hobby or obsession, just as I have for these past 35 years! :bl th up

Online rollingb

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: Board of Directors
  • TMA Member: #6
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 11:10:42 PM »
Welcome to our TMA campfire SharpStick  :*: :shake,..... 'fore ya know it, this hobby might just turn into a "lifestyle", least it did for me many years ago.  :)
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can be a member of the TMA.
TMA Co-Founder
TMA Charter Member #6
TMA BoD

Online Two Steps

• TMA Officer
  • TMA: Board of Directors
  • TMA Member: 47
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 03:01:51 AM »
Welcome there Mr SharpStick  :shake Glad ya found us.  Let us know what you're shootin' and how it's going  :hairy
Al
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47
till 3/4/19

Offline RobD

• TMA Admin
    • http://www.tradgang.com
  • TMA: Treasurer & Webmaster
  • TMA Member: 698
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 03:16:12 AM »
welcome dana!

thanx for joining and supporting what is now the ONLY national organization devoted strictly to all things about traditional muzzleloaders.

Online Ohio Joe

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: National Match Director
  • TMA Member: 8
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 05:34:24 AM »
Welcome SharpStick!  :shake  :toast
Ohio Joe
TMA Co-Founder - Charter Member #8
TMA National Match Director

Offline greyhunter

• TMA Officer
  • TMA: Vice-President
  • TMA Member: 291
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 06:57:59 AM »
 :hairy Hello and welcome SharpStick! Glad to have you here, tall tales and pictures welcome!
Pa. TMA State Representative.[/color]
Member#291 Keep your eyes on the skyline, and your nose to the wind. member until 2/5/17

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Member
  • TMA Member: 806
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 08:28:07 AM »
Thanks for all the welcomes!
I found this website back in April and I've been lurking ever since. Reading it every day and enjoy all the sage advice and camaraderie. To reintroduce myself I'll repeat some of what I first put up back in April.

A few weeks months ago my son invited me to help him at the Mogollon Mountain Man Rendezvous. I pulled out all my old mountain man regalia from a previous rendezvous, tried it on. I was looking in the mirror and something was missing.  A smokepole!  Bought a kit and put together a Traditions Mountain Rifle. Spent 4 days at the rendezvous.  It's quite an event. 800+ young men ages 14-15 (Varsity Scouts) dressed up as mountain men and running around with knives and tomahawks. All kinds of mountain man related activities with black powder muzzleloader shooting one of the most popular.

Now that I have my muzzleloader I'm trying to find the time and place to shoot it and info on how to do it properly and safely.  I can just picture myself out in the desert all alone with a rifle that just went to pieces on the first shot  :P  That's what brought me to TMA.   And what a find!  Tons of info here. Already found links to local groups. I'm sure I'll find some willing to give advice  ;).        [ I did find someone locally to give me great advice and shot the rifle for the first time. Now I'm trying to find time to finish sighting it in, i.e., gotta do some filing on that extra tall front sight. ]

I'm from Mesa Arizona. I like shooting. And playing mountain man. And now I'm old enough to not care and just laugh at the looks I get walking into a convenience store with all my regalia on. And when I've grown my beard out for 6 months and have knives and tomahawks tucked in in my belt and a smokepole in my hands the kids don't call me Santa.  :laffing  I'll post pictures when I figure out how to do it.  I've taken a few shots with black powder before with other people's rifles and pistol's. Now I'm looking forward to seeing how well mine shoots.

Since I posted that, I've added to my BP equipment and I've got a patch knife in the works to be followed by a shooting bag. And I need to print some of those silhouette targets and go see if I can shoot the beak of a bird or maybe put a hole in Mike Fink's "hat".
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.

Online RussB

• TMA Founder
  • TMA: TMA Current Secretary
  • TMA Member: #4
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 03:54:06 PM »
Quote from: Sharp Stick
..................And I need to print some of those silhouette targets and go see if I can shoot the beak of a bird or maybe put a hole in Mike Fink's "hat".

Welcome Sharp Stick!
Man! we'uns here just love it when ya talk like that!

As John said previously, "Welcome to the dark side"....this is a sport / hobby that gets under your skin, kinda like a wild and very mad virus, it affects the mind, the thinking processes, and you will develop a hunger for more information, but it's an affliction that you will learn to love as you grow with it, and it certainly don't take all that long to come about.

Many of us old timers have been involved in this sport for the better part of our lives and enjoyed every minute of it....it's a lifestyle you can't beat, not even with a 'sharp stick'.

We truly appreciate the fact that you have 'picked-up' a few pointers since you've been with us, because that's what we are all about .

You will find the Membership of the TMA to be the most caring and supportive folks in the world....period!

Welcome!

Uncle Russ...

Anyone interested in becoming a State Rep, contact me!
It's the many things we don't do that sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4