TMA Events and Activites > TMA Postal Shoots

Shot the September Sil. Match Targets Today

(1/1)

Maven:
September promises to be a hectic month so I decided to take advantage of our almost autumnal weather today and try to hit more of those [target] critters than I did last month.  (Maybe I should say, I tried not to miss as many as last month? :laffing)  Anyway, I did several things differently this time, which I think made a difference:  First, I used a thicker patch (.020" - .021") with a Lyman .490" RB (.488" in fact).  Second, I oriented the targets vertically* since I seem to hit better when the "pig" and "goat" are standing up.  Lastly, I took a day off from the gym, which means I haven't been there since Monday (but I did ride my bike Tuesday and earlier today!), and that makes shooting  a 9 lb. rifle offhand a bit easier.

*However, I reoriented the chicken - goat target vertically since the chicken isn't elongated enough to make a difference.

Mad Irish Jack:
Maven, I had to revisit my shooting notebook. I moved 5 years ago now and was pleasantly happy about it. I was reacquainted with my shooting logs and notes. I reviewed them last spring ('16). After rehabbing my surgically repaired shoulders ( they'll never be 100% again) I was able to steady my technique up. I've closed up my stance up and rotating makes me more rigid and steady; Rock solid for about 2-3 seconds, enough time to hold on and break trigger. It's working great for me. If my shot isn't in those little figures I'm breaking the line. So far I had a jerked flyer, on me. I take my time and sometimes I take 2+ hours of range time to shoot my targets. Sometimes it only takes 45 minutes.  Sorry about the Mike Fink target. My dropped shot under the cup cost me 20 points. -10 for the miss which negated a +10 on the cup. It touched the line but barely. I'm still waiting for the missing Jethro to score those other targets I shot. I love shooting all these matches. It gives me a reason as to why I need to go to the range. Also, I have no idea why all members of the different sites don't shoot. You read posts and they complain the need to shoot more for practice. Duh, what do they think these matches serve as? I shoot novelty targets at my club ( cross strings, playing card edges, bottle caps etc) and the other members inevitably ask, "How do you keep doing those shots?" I tell them practice. They say they have flintlocks in their closet or safes, and can't hit anything with them. I tell them, unless you shoot and burn powder, you never will have much success. I do have a couple guys (a father and son) shooting now.oh well. As long as I can still afford it and can hold the weapon, I'll be happy. When I go , it goes in the box with me.

Maven:
Jack, I pulled a shot on the MF target too. :Doh!  Generally I take my time with "record" targets, but yesterday I was pretty steady and used only 1 practice target and ~6 shots.  (It isn't the gun! ;))  Tomorrow I'm going to a local woods walk and will try a more closed stance as per your advice.  Unless things have changed radically at that club, there are enough small targets (e.g. Tootsie Roll Pops @ 20 yd.; splitting a playing card at the same distance, etc.) to hone one's technique.  The 3' pc. of rebar @ 40 yd. (maybe 50) is a real joy too as is the horizontally suspended chain at the same distance. ::)  The final target, however, is a 6' oxygen tank painted orange at [at least] 125 yd. Maybe I'll be able to hit it tomorrow...if I hold steady enough. :pray:

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: Maven on August 24, 2017, 03:05:54 PM ---September promises to be a hectic month so I decided to take advantage of our almost autumnal weather today and try to hit more of those [target] critters than I did last month.  (Maybe I should say, I tried not to miss as many as last month? :laffing)  Anyway, I did several things differently this time, which I think made a difference:  First, I used a thicker patch (.020" - .021") with a Lyman .490" RB (.488" in fact).  Second, I oriented the targets vertically* since I seem to hit better when the "pig" and "goat" are standing up.  Lastly, I took a day off from the gym, which means I haven't been there since Monday (but I did ride my bike Tuesday and earlier today!), and that makes shooting  a 9 lb. rifle offhand a bit easier.

Now if OJ is generous, I think I scored an "8"; if not a "7".  I pulled one on the "turkey" and shot a tad high on my last shot of the day on that microscopic "chicken." 

*However, I reoriented the chicken - goat target vertically since the chicken isn't elongated enough to make a difference.

--- End quote ---

As with most of us (if not all) we find ourselves during these better weather months with things we need to do before the weather changes,,, so any of our TMA Paper Silhouette competitors who need to shoot early for some reason or another (which we have no way of knowing one way or the other) I don't see a problem with this. Yes, I prefer we would shoot our targets in the month they are required to be shot, but if not possible - please keep your score under hat until the month those set of targets are due before you release them to the public. Simply mail them to me (NMD) and I'll see they get posted when the time comes.  :shake

Hawken:
I missed the gym today myself; matter of fact I've missed it every day for the past 60 years! :bl th up :laughing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version