Traditional Firearms > Traditional Archery

Traditional Bow Maintenance and complete course on Tillering!

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ohio Joe:
Russ, I like the looks of that Bamboo Backed Osage bow you made "A Lot!"  :bl th up

Three Rivers Archery offers bamboo backed bow kits (at least they use to) and that is another style I would like to make someday when I have more time. I've wanted to try that bamboo backing for a long time, but have never got around to it.

"Hunting The Osage Bow" has just went on my list of books to buy.  :bl th up

I too use a stringer to string my bows. I've always thought it the best way to go about it.

I remember the first bow I made you and shipped - someone ran over it in the cardboard tube and broke it, so's I made you another and shipped it in PVC pipe.  I recall making it a rather lite pull as at that time I'm thinking you were having shoulder trouble maybe? Perhaps I'm remembering that wrong? In any event I'm still happy to hear you've got that bow around.

Anymore I warm up with a 35# bow before switching over to 42# / 45#... Who'd of thought ol' mother nature would catch up with us...  :laffing  But she did!  :)

Primitive Archery, still one of the greatest past-times out there!  :shake

Keb:
Nice looking bow. I think osage is one of the prettiest woods out there especially when it gets some age on it.
I don't use a stringer and I also don't put my leg thru the bow. I put the bottom tip against the inside of my right foot with the back facing me, grab the bow by the handle with my right hand and pull while sliding the string up and into the nock with my left hand.

Uncle Russ:

--- Quote from: Ohio Joe ---.........I remember the first bow I made you and shipped - someone ran over it in the cardboard tube and broke it, so's I made you another and shipped it in PVC pipe.  I recall making it a rather lite pull as at that time I'm thinking you were having shoulder trouble maybe? Perhaps I'm remembering that wrong? In any event I'm still happy to hear you've got that bow around.
--- End quote ---

Yes Joe, you're spot on with your memory. :bl th up

I still have that same bad right shoulder, and the US Post Office is still breaking "stuff".
I distinctively recall the little lady at the Post Office Insurance asking, "you're saying the Bow was not like this, holding the two broke pieces,  before it was shipped???"
The Mail Carrier had made a note that the package was damaged on receipt and I honestly believe that's the only reason she paid up...then she mailed me the Insurance Check!!
:Doh!....what's a mother to do?

Using A PVC Tube is the only way to ship a longbow.... 

(I have no clue what happened in my previous post, I seem to have pictures of all sizes going everywhere....I gotta get a grip on this picture stuff,  I'm sorry about that!)

Uncle Russ...

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote --- "you're saying the Bow was not like this, holding the two broke pieces,  before it was shipped???"
--- End quote ---

:Doh!

I didn"t know there was a market for "pre - broke" new bows...... :Doh! :laffing

I enjoyed the pictures just as you posted them, Russ.  :bl th up

Uncle Russ:

--- Quote from: Keb on August 29, 2017, 09:07:34 AM ---Nice looking bow. I think osage is one of the prettiest woods out there especially when it gets some age on it.
I don't use a stringer and I also don't put my leg thru the bow. I put the bottom tip against the inside of my right foot with the back facing me, grab the bow by the handle with my right hand and pull while sliding the string up and into the nock with my left hand.

--- End quote ---

Hi Keb.......the method you use is very popular. If I were not using a stringer, I feel quite sure I would be using that same method, it would certainly be one less little piece of equipment to carry, albeit my stringer has its own place on my quiver, that same space could most likely be used for something else essential.

:hairy

Uncle Russ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version