Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Lyman .54 GPR - All But Finished  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Lyman .54 GPR - All But Finished
« on: October 21, 2017, 07:04:55 PM »
Okay, the Lyman GPR .54 cal Caplock rifle kit is all but finished, (only have one coat of stain on it at this point). It's actually Range ready now. Here is a picture of it, along with the Powder Horn Strap I won in our TMA Raffle (from the Weaving Welchman), and my home-made Powder Horn it will go on, along with a 75 grain horn tip measure.

So my plan for this rifle will be to take it,,, along with my .50 cal Flintlock Lyman GPR as part of my Rendezvous arsenal which also will include the Smoothie, and my pistol... So I have plenty of time to get it zeroed between now and July.

I kind'a doubt I'll use it in our TMA Postal Matches, but you never know? It would depend what I find out from Range trip accuracy,,, but I got plenty of .45's for the Postal Matches, and that's always been my favorite caliber for shootin' matches. 

I started this kit build yesterday (I think about mid morning). It's only the 2nd Lyman kit I've done, the first being the .50 cal flintlock I mentioned above. I think these are pretty good kits.  :bl th up

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Re: Lyman .54 GPR - All But Finished
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:46:30 PM »
More details, please!  I.e. what stain did you use, what did you blue it with, did you have to inlet the wedge finials?  Where did you get the kit?

I may have to get another of these.  I sold the last one I had without telling the wife, and I heard about it, let me tell you!  She thought it was the prettiest of my guns and was NOT happy that it was gone... :o

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 10:57:34 PM »
More details, please!  I.e. what stain did you use, what did you blue it with, did you have to inlet the wedge finials?  Where did you get the kit?

I may have to get another of these.  I sold the last one I had without telling the wife, and I heard about it, let me tell you!  She thought it was the prettiest of my guns and was NOT happy that it was gone... :o

~WH~

You're a lucky man WH, your wife getting upset over you getting rid of a firearm... :bow

Everything is inletted and you have to file/sand down the wood, and shape the stock's cheek piece and do some shaping up the comb and wrist, and around the lock plate(s) area, and forearm.

Right now I only have one coat of Watco Black Walnut on the stock. I want to do some more light sanding and polishing before running a few more coat's and then a light sealer of Tru-oil... I used Birchwood Casey Super Blue... The tennon area holding the barrel wedges is not an easy area to blue as they've soldered those tennons in after seating them, but since it's out of sight you don't have to get to upset over that. You'll want to pin the Ramrod tips, they don't come pinned. The tang bolt hole was off center a bit, but it's easy enough to use your hand-drill to align it. My stock has a bit of "cast on" rather then true straight or even a slight cast off... Not sure if that will be a problem until I shoot it. I normally build with a slight 1/16" cast off, but that's just me.

I personally prefer to work with Maple, but this Walnut isn't to bad to work with. Overall, the metal to wood fit isn't bad at all. You'll have to do a little cleanup in the inlets, but minimal... Overall, I'm happy with it, though I'm not a fan of "coil spring" locks, but I'll follow my own advise and use it until it wears out. (which probably won't happen in my lifetime.

I got my kit from one of our suppliers where I work, so I got it at cost. These days there's not that much difference between cost and retail, and they had a special on these kits. Sorry, I'm not at liberty to say what I paid.

Kind'a itching to get out and shoot it as soon as I can.  :shake

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:12:28 AM »
You sure made quick work on that GPR.It is lookn very nice. :applaud
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 09:11:45 AM »
You sure made quick work on that GPR.It is lookn very nice. :applaud

Thank you Roaddog!  :shake

I wanted to go shoot it this morning and start the zeroing process, but it's so darn windy (and cold) right now, I don't know if I'll make it out today or not?  Isn't that the way of things - it seems... :)

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 10:20:41 AM »
Looks like she came out really slick. No hick-ups or off centered milling that you encountered.   :applaud

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 02:56:56 PM »
She came out right fine, Bill.  :bl th up

I'm hopeful I get out and shoot her this coming Wednesday. Weather forecast looks pretty good for my area.  :hairy

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 03:41:27 PM »
Joe, you might want to take a look at my post on captive wedges in the gun building forum...

Nice looking rifle you have there!

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 05:38:03 PM »
You've done a bang-up job so far.  And you work quick, as well.  Looking good.  :hairy
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 07:15:40 PM »
I saw that post on the wedges, WH.  That's a good idea.  Now I've never lost a wedge yet - but there is always a first time so I'm going to pursue your idea.  Thanks!  :bl th up

You've done a bang-up job so far.  And you work quick, as well.  Looking good.

Thanks Hanshi!  :shake

We didn't have the grand kids this weekend and this was my three day off weekend, so I just jumped in and got'er done.  Though I did forget to pin the ramrod tips and stain the ramrod as well, but I did that this afternoon. :Doh!

Stock (kit) ramrods always worry me. I will eventually make a ramrod for this rifle, but for now the stock ramrod is just for looks and feel when I go to the Range on Wednesday.  I'll take a ramming stick with me (no tips) and a Range Rod just in case something would go south.

I got my shooting bag setup and ready to go. I have a drift punch, hammer, files, sand paper, and 00004 steel wool, with a little bottle of touch up Super Blue, Q-tips, and oil, in my pickup in case I have to move or file the sights (or both) on Wednesday.  :hairy

I still have a few more coats of Finish to put on this rifle, but I kind'a want to keep it looking "Rustic" for Rendezvous, so I guess I'll just try to remember to hand rub it every evening for a month and see if it gets me to where I want it to look. I'm not going to "Tru-Oil" the stock. That would defeat my purpose.   :shake

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 09:05:48 PM »
You're moving right along Joe.  :bl th up

Joe, I have to tell you a cold hard fact....In my own experience, which has been limited to two GPR, I have never shot a rifle, right outta the box, that was anywhere near as accurate as that GPR.

I was totally blown-away when it happened the first time, but the second time was the clincher.
Both were .54 caliber, both were flintlock, and both were never picky about the load, meaning powder, patch, lube, and RB....it just didn't seem to matter....if I could do my part, both of these guns would certainly do theirs.

If this should, by chance, turn into your favorite shooter, I would not be one bit surprised.
I have know you long enough to know you have a strong liking for your .45's...but I also know you like "candle snuffing" accuracy.

FWIW; Over the years I have owned a couple pretty fancy "Custom Made" rifles, with well know barrels, but I have never owned any rifle that impressed me as much as those GPR in the accuracy department...the "only" thing I don't like about the GPR is the butt plate and trigger guards,
But like hundreds of others, you learn to overcome that by holding them right....same thing with a T/C Hawken, I hate those whirly - twirly trigger guards and those pointed butt plates...but I still own 'em, and I still shoot the heck out of 'em. Can't imagine life without 'em.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 11:53:19 PM »
You're moving right along Joe.  :bl th up

Joe, I have to tell you a cold hard fact....In my own experience, which has been limited to two GPR, I have never shot a rifle, right outta the box, that was anywhere near as accurate as that GPR.

I was totally blown-away when it happened the first time, but the second time was the clincher.
Both were .54 caliber, both were flintlock, and both were never picky about the load, meaning powder, patch, lube, and RB....it just didn't seem to matter....if I could do my part, both of these guns would certainly do theirs.

If this should, by chance, turn into your favorite shooter, I would not be one bit surprised.
I have know you long enough to know you have a strong liking for your .45's...but I also know you like "candle snuffing" accuracy.

FWIW; Over the years I have owned a couple pretty fancy "Custom Made" rifles, with well know barrels, but I have never owned any rifle that impressed me as much as those GPR in the accuracy department...the "only" thing I don't like about the GPR is the butt plate and trigger guards,
But like hundreds of others, you learn to overcome that by holding them right....same thing with a T/C Hawken, I hate those whirly - twirly trigger guards and those pointed butt plates...but I still own 'em, and I still shoot the heck out of 'em. Can't imagine life without 'em.

Uncle Russ...

I do like my .45's, no doubt about that. You know me well!  :bl th up

I like the .54, always have. Shooting the smaller calibers (.40 & .45's) are powder savers and they get the job done, but I have a soft spot for large bore .50 and .54's an it's time to get reconnected with them. I've got a Lyman Flintlock .50 GPR, so this .54 caplock will have me covered for what we see a lot of at the Rendezvous for large bore rifles. I also have a .54 TC Hawken, and another .54 Plains Rifle I built in caplock, but these Lyman's are something I've always wanted a pair of in flint & cap. I finally have them and I know I'm gonna enjoy them. They have a good reputation for accuracy - no doubt about that!  :hairy

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 11:17:55 PM »
Okay, all is a go for tomorrow's Range trip with the newly built .54 Lyman Caplock GPR... Sounds like tomorrow will be about the only opportunity (weather wise)  to get to shoot this new rifle for a few weeks. I'm not going to worry about trying to zero this rifle just yet - I'm just gonna run some shots to get it broke in - then worry about getting a zero somewhere down the road when the weather is more consistent for getting a good zero. I think I'll just post an NRA TQ-4 100 yard target at 25 yards and just aim center, and see what happens.

Shooting Bag is packed, Powder Horn is full, Ball Blocks are loaded, Leather Cap Holder's are topped off.

My load I'm going with will be;

75 grains Goex 2fg, Pillow Ticking Spit Patch, .530 Hornady Ball, #11 RWS Cap.

I won't be able to sleep a wink tonight as I'm looking forward to tomorrow!!!  :laffing

:hairy

Offline Roaddog

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Paid Member # 247 Expires 3/15 / 2019
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 08:03:57 AM »
Sounds like your all set.Now for making some smoke and holes.Have fun Joe. :hairy
Minnesota TMA State Representative

Member #247

Online Paulk

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 09:37:46 AM »
Okay, all is a go for tomorrow's Range trip with the newly built .54 Lyman Caplock GPR... Sounds like tomorrow will be about the only opportunity (weather wise)  to get to shoot this new rifle for a few weeks. I'm not going to worry about trying to zero this rifle just yet - I'm just gonna run some shots to get it broke in - then worry about getting a zero somewhere down the road when the weather is more consistent for getting a good zero. I think I'll just post an NRA TQ-4 100 yard target at 25 yards and just aim center, and see what happens.

Shooting Bag is packed, Powder Horn is full, Ball Blocks are loaded, Leather Cap Holder's are topped off
My load I'm going with will be;

75 grains Goex 2fg, Pillow Ticking Spit Patch, .530 Hornady Ball, #11 RWS Cap.

I won't be able to sleep a wink tonight as I'm looking forward to tomorrow!!!  :laffing

:hairy

Joe, that's basically the same load I use in my GPR .54 cap lock except I bump the hunting load to 90 gr 2F, .018 patch, .530 ball.  It's a great shooter and flattens deer.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:40:52 AM by Paulk »