Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Cordage and care, usage and knots etc.  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Mad Irish Jack

• TMA Contributing Member
    • Rangers of the Ohio Company
  • TMA Member: Tma Member #796
Cordage and care, usage and knots etc.
« on: January 25, 2018, 10:08:10 PM »
Over the years I've gotten much positive, attentive notice to my use of cordage in my camp and on equipment. I use ropes of various sizes to do various tasks in camp. I use hitches, splices and I whip the ends to strengthen and prolong the life of my rope.
If have a fray spot in a rope, I cut it out and splice them together and add whipping, which makes the spliced area stronger than the original area. Some may say why not use or buy a new rope. Well, that isn't what we are trying to portray or live that life cheating with the easy way out. Pioneering skills is what the knots and cordage use fall under. They lacked funds to just buy whatever they needed. They tied pack horse loads, packages, fix broken items (temporarily until it can be done right, or until replaced) Hauled many loads, hung items up and tied them down etc. You can find many sites on the internet on knots, but here's one with a good group of basic knots to get started with. Strive for persona accuracy. :applaud
 http://www.animatedknots.com/indexscouting.php
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
   The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Offline Buzzard

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Cordage and care, usage and knots etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:26:03 AM »
Thanks, Jack. Good job
NRA Life
NMLRA Life
TMA Member #258
Ohio State Trappers Life
Longhunter Measurer

Expires 04/09/2016

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 09:43:40 AM »
Good post, Jack!  :bl th up

My grandson (8 yrs old) has a Scouting "camp in" tonight at a big gymnasium over in Chadron (I'll be camping with him), I think I'll ask the Scout Leader when they're a gonna start teaching the kids knots. I was never a Scout myself, so I don't know if they have a specific level they start teaching them about this? Thanks for the post, it's food for thought.

By they way, I too try and get every inch worth of use out of my ropes. Repair is a lot less expensive then continually buying new. :toast
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:45:26 AM by Ohio Joe »
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 02:52:44 PM »
Having been involved on and off for the last 40 years with Boy Scouts I can say that they do start with knots and lashing early on (11 years old). I think the Cub Scouts do some even younger. The first few Boy Scout ranks (Scout, 2nd Class, 1st Class) all have knots and lashing requirements. Beginning with Square Knot (Reef Knot), and continuing with whip and fuse the ends, two half-hitches, taut-line hitch, sheet bend, bowline, timber hitch, clove hitch, square, shear, and diagonal lashings. Then there's the Pioneering merit badge. I always make them practice until they could tie the knot behind their back so they could do it in the dark and could understand how the knot was formed by seeing it in their mind.

I agree that the Animated Knots website (www.animatedknots.com) is excellent, but I'm prejudiced 'cause several years ago I suggested a tip on how to pull the frappings tight on lashings and he included it and gave me credit.   There's also a great Animated Knots phone app for when you're out in the wilderness and can't quite remember how to tie that Alpine Butterfly Loop or Trucker's Hitch.

This brings back lots of memories of one-handed bowline contests with scouts and getting a good laugh as they either fall one their rear or squish their fingers in the knot when they lean back when they're not quite finished.

For those who don't know about one handed bowline contests, I'll explain.  Tie one end of a 8 or 10 foot rope to a tree about eye height.  Face the tree. Pass the loose end around your waist and grab the end with one hand. At the starting sound use the one hand to tie a bowline with the end in your hand and the section of the rope between you and the tree. When you think you're done let go of the rope and lean back to about 45 degrees so that the rope supports you. Just remember to pull your fingers out BEFORE you lean back.  :o  :P
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Offline wattlebuster

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: Member #223 Expiration Date 08/13/18
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »
Thats a handy site to have. I have saved it cause it will be needed. Thanks for posting :hairy
Pleasure is the feel of a fine handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a still frosty morning
Member # 223
Membership Exp 08/13/18
Member NMLRA
member CLA