Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: How many sparks from a flint to ignite  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Hood

• TMA Forum Member
How many sparks from a flint to ignite
« on: November 19, 2017, 02:39:27 AM »
Okay, I know it only takes one. But do you have any video or pictures showing what you expect? Im having trouble getting what I feel should be adequate amounts of spark from my flint. This is for a fowler using English Flints not the precision ground flints.Thanks

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: How many sparks from a flint to ignite
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 04:47:26 PM »
Okay, I know it only takes one. But do you have any video or pictures showing what you expect? Im having trouble getting what I feel should be adequate amounts of spark from my flint. This is for a fowler using English Flints not the precision ground flints.Thanks

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Video+of+Flintlock+sparking&view=detail&mid=DA418289406EBA4A5531DA418289406EBA4A5531&FORM=VIRE

There's plenty good videos on the internet....just Google 'em up, and you decide whether your flintlock is "good enough"...like you say, "it don't take much", but this is a situation where more is better.

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 05:28:47 PM »
Is your gun firing as it should when you pull the trigger?  If so, you're getting plenty of sparks and you have no problem.  But if not, you need a better flint, mount it properly and/or check the lock for soft frizzen.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline ross

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA Member: 786
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 10:03:52 PM »
Well the more the merrier. I had a navy arms with a "soft" frizzen. I re-hardened the frizzen with great results. The rock needs to be sharp and also lock timing could be the culprit. Ross

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 09:00:49 AM »
SAFELY!  As in lock removed from gun, gloves and glasses on.   No prime. In a very dim to dark room or out doors. Dry fire the lock at arms distance to see how many sparks are actually being produced.  I’m sure you’ll be surprised.

TC
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Offline AxelP

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 11:11:55 AM »
The sparks are not always easy to see in daylight.

With an unprimed gun, I usually see two or more recognizable sparks in daylight... and the hot metal chards will dance and sizzle a little right in the pan. You can see more in the dark or fading light.

K