Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Alonzo Selden Target Rifle  (Read 1934 times)

Offline LawrenceN

• TMA Forum Member
Alonzo Selden Target Rifle
« on: December 15, 2017, 07:46:49 PM »
This is uncharted territory for me.  I attended an auction, and this beauty was on the block.  From what I've been able to ascertain thus far, it was made by Alonzo Selden at his shop in Whitehall, NY.  As near as I can tell, it's in .40 cal. and in wonderful condition.  This was my first time actually handling a rifle with the long sight tube and it was somewhat surprising to discover it had no magnification, just a bead-on-post reticle.  Having restored old military and commercial firearms in the past, I know enough to just give this rifle a good cleaning and not polish the brass work or alter the patina.  The bore is beautiful with the rifling still very pronounced and no discernible pitting or fouling.  Mind you, one would expect a serious shooter to take good care of such a lovely beast.  My question for you gentlemen is what would a piece like this be worth?  I assume a dedicated shooter would wish to put some rounds down range with it.  Also, there is not a lot of information of A.Selden on google, so any info on the man and his rifles would be most appreciated.  Are target rifles in this sort of shape a rare thing?  Is there a small niche market for them or is appreciation and use more wide spread than I know.  Sadly, there were no accessories with it like a worm, nipple wrench, etc.  For now, enjoy the pics. 
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 09:38:14 AM by LawrenceN »

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Re: Alonzo Selden Target Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 08:30:13 PM »
That is a wonderful looking rifle!
I have yet to see any back-action lock that I didn't like,  this is one very special rifle, in my eyes.

Thanks for sharing that with us, along with a hearty Welcome to the TMA.
Looking forward to more posts, and more pictures.

Insofar as value.....like many other very things of serious value, the value of this piece would be in the eyes of the beholder. Also, the name of that builder may add to the value of the gun.
As for the rarity of the piece, although unique in many respects, I would personally say such rifles are far from being rare as many such "race-guns" are built, and being used today. 
It's the cost that prevents them from being "common."
However, I have personally been witness to 30 plus guns, much like this one, being on the firing line at one time.

Seen by the right person, at the right time, many of us, myself included, may find the dollar  "value" of this piece simply astounding.

You didn't mention the "False Muzzle" such fine guns are normally always accompanied by a False Muzzle. Perhaps that was an oversight on your part and it's actually there.
That one little piece can make a huge difference in the price of any Bench Gun, as it is cut from the same barrel you see here.

Once again, glad to have you with us.

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline LawrenceN

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 09:03:06 PM »
Russ, thank you for your welcome and your kind words.  I've come across the Selden name on several gun boards.  I know he was born in Quebec, Canada in 1842 and he died in Whitehall, NY in 1881.  After he emigrated to the U.S., his first gunsmith operation was in Bridgeport, CT.  He later moved and set up in Whitehall NY.  I'm told by an much more knowledgeable front stuffer that he made a very good quality product and is sought after by a niche group of black powder enthusiasts.  Sadly, as I'd mentioned, there are no accessories like the false muzzle, worm, etc., just the rifle.  I was told it could command as much as 5 grand and up to 7 if it had all it's bits.  As I'd mentioned, this is a whole new realm for me and though I'm reluctant to question his assessment, I thought, "Really???". 

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 09:56:38 PM »
I am of the opinion that 'your friend' gave you some sage advise.

Seems your own research pretty much mirrored that of my own, especially the Whitehall, NY part.

From my own very limited search, he was very popular while in Whitehall, and I did see some mighty fine sidelock smoothbore credited to his name....enough so, that I'm satisfied that his name alone is going to increase the value of that gun, despite its shortcomeings, if such can be said.

Russ... 

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline LawrenceN

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 11:00:56 AM »
I've noticed on other gunboards that black powder afficionados often mention the barrel width on octagonal barrels so I thought I'd take a measurement for those curious folk who want more detail.  The barrel is 1-3/16" across and 1/2" across the flats, but when I was doing the measurements, I noticed the number "80" stamped on the face just above the ramrod.  Any thoughts?

Offline Hanshi

• TMA Forum Member
    • http://www.martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 02:53:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum, LawrenceN.  That's a serious looking rifle, IMHO.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 04:48:06 PM »
That is a beautiful piece!

The term "across the flats" refers to the distance across the barrel from one flat (i.e. the left side) across to the other side (right side for this example).  I assume that the 1/2" is the actual width of one flat?

Could the number "80" be a serial number?  Perhaps the last two digits of a serial number, stamped on all the parts like my old 1895 Mauser had?  Just a thought.

~WH~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 07:19:10 PM »
Very nice rifle from what I'm seeing of it. Please take and post some pictures of both sides of the rifle, the muzzle, top, bottom, rear, and remove the lock an please take a picture of that area as well. Thank you, look forward to seeing more pictures.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 08:25:01 PM »
I see this rifle has been shown at this link;

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/305686/

If I read this correctly, David Minshall is in question of the actual maker (Edward Alonzo Selden) and (A. Selden), so the actual history is still in question by, Mr. David Minshall?

It's an interesting piece that I hope gets researched further for historical interest and value.

Thanks for sharing it with us.  :shake
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:36:30 PM by Ohio Joe »

Offline LawrenceN

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 08:56:22 PM »
Very nice rifle from what I'm seeing of it. Please take and post some pictures of both sides of the rifle, the muzzle, top, bottom, rear, and remove the lock an please take a picture of that area as well. Thank you, look forward to seeing more pictures.  :shake
I think the rifle is lovely, but alas, out of my field of interest or expertise.  Pictures I can take no problem, but without more "hands-on" experience, I'm reluctant to start disassembling anything.  Give me a Lee Enfield?  No problem?  Most commercial rifles?  The same, but when it comes to fine antique rifles, I'd prefer to be in the company of somebody with more experience.  I would think that those custom gun smiths made "one-of's", but again, someone with more experience can set me straight on that.  I figure, given that he's in Whitehall when this was made, that it would be circa mid 1870's?  As the barrel stamp just reads "A. Selden -  Whitehall", perhaps it's just Alonzo Selden. 

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 08:36:20 AM »
Here is a youtube video of an "A Selden" Rifle in action, for those that would like to view it.  When I get a chance, I will check Ned Roberts book on muzzle loading caplock rifles... There may be some info in it about the Selden muzzle loader, you never know?

Offline LawrenceN

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »
I'd seen this before when I was researching "A.Selden".  It's great to see those old guns in action.  The one I have is considerably heavier and I assume to be a competition rifle rather than a hunting arm. 

Offline LawrenceN

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 02:29:56 PM »
For Ohio Joe, as requested, here's the pics.  You will note the stress crack on the left side of the action by the screw.  I assume the screw may have been over-tightened and stressed the stock.  It's purely cosmetic and should not affect function, but that's the only flaw visible to my untrained eye.  On an interesting note, the back of the ramrod has a jag!  I don't know if this was common, but I thought it to be a neat touch.  For now, here are the pics you'd requested.  Any comments or observations would be more than welcome. 

[/url]

][/url]

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 05:14:57 PM »
At first I thought that was an awfully coarse thread for the sight adjustment, but then realized that the pivot point would be near the front of the barrel. I guess being that far away makes it a fine adjuster after all.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »
Hello LawrenceN, thanks for the pictures, you took some good ones...

Here's what I'm seeing, and mind you, I'm no expert...

To my eye the barrel appears to have been shortened at the muzzle at some time as I believe I'm seeing cutting scars on the muzzle. This may have been done for several reasons (all conjecture) of course;

1. It may have started life out as a Target rifle with a False Muzzle and someone may have wanted to turn it into a hunting rifle, so they shortened the barrel? (If so, what a shame).

2. It may have very well have had a longer barrel and someone may have tried to add a False Muzzle and it didn't align it correctly (if it was an after thought) - or - it may have been drilled for a False Muzzle and perhaps a bit broke - or - the holes on the muzzle flats were not drilled straight not allowing a False muzzle to be used so perhaps the idea was given up on adding / making a False Muzzle and the muzzle was cut down to simply offer it as a lighter target / hunting rifle?

I expect only the maker can tell us what the 80 stands for on the muzzle, or is it 08, depending on which direction it is to be viewed from?

Regardless if any of the above conjectures hold true, it is still one heck of a piece of history that I will say again it would be great to know this rifle's history.

I expect Recoil could be one reason for the stock fracture, or the rifle could have been dropped and just hit wrong on the butt end of the stock which may have caused it? That's an awful heavy barrel on that rifle.

Again, I hope we can find more out about this rifle and its history. A remarkable find that just needs a paper trail. Where a person would start, I have no real idea, but I thank you for letting us have a look at this piece of history.  :shake