Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Little help for Casters, especially those just getting started.  (Read 7143 times)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
Little help for Casters, especially those just getting started.
« on: January 20, 2018, 06:09:21 PM »
Over the years I have had several requests for a Manual / Instruction sheet for Lee Casting Pots / Smelters.
I got such a request last week and for the life of me I can't find those Instructions.

It is not unusual at all for anyone to stumble across a great deal on a nice Casting Pot at Garage Sales, or Flea-Markets, or a friend that decided due to the lack of time he no longer wishes to do this, but normally it comes as a bare pot....No box, no Instructions, no nothing except a good deal on a great little Casting Pot....of course there's better pots, pots with more accurate temperature controls, and fancy bases that accommodate anything you slide under them, but you do pay for all those little niceties, so much so that a beginner may have to pass.

For those in the situation where you want to cast as cheaply as possible, while adding a whole new dimension to your shooting game, you simply can not beat the lowly Lee Casting Pot.
And for those who recently got that "deal of a lifetime" at a local Yard Sale, but it lacked all the paper work, I think you may find the following very helpful.

https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/EL3469.pdf

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Little help for Casters, especially those just getting started.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 03:22:00 AM »
Russ,.... I have 2 of those LEE pots, 1 is a bottom pour and the other isn't, and they both work great.  :hairy
Can't say as I still have the instructions for'em, so thanks.  :hairy :shake
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 06:14:13 AM »
I have one as well!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 10:27:20 PM »
Mine's a Lyman I bought around 1969.  It doesn't plug in.  ;D  I fire up the little kerosene camp stove and set it on there.  I've used the gas cook stove also, with doors and windows open.  I've never tried it over a wood fire, should I guess, one of these days.  In fact, I have a nice little "Pocket Stove" which folds open and you burn twigs, etc. in it to cook on.  That may be just the ticket for melting lead.  Hmmm, another experiment is on the horizon....

-Kees-
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 08:18:48 PM »
I was going through my war chest yesterday afternoon, and I think I found deep down in the basement of it what I think is my old Lyman electric casting pot.  Now, I really didn't have the interest to dig it out and look at it too closely, but if memory serves me right, it might be like I don't know, 15 pound capacity???  It does have a rheostat on it and I am sure it goes up over 800 degrees.  It is not a bottom pour style, strictly ladle pour.
I would guess it has maybe 30 hours on it?  I am thinking I got it in the late 90's, so it's about 20 years old, but has been sitting idle for the last 12 years.  I got it about the time that I got interested in the big bore rifles, and needed something to cast .980 and .820 diameter balls with.
Anyone got an idea on what something like that would be worth?
Thanks,
John
PS  As I recall this was a fairly expensive pot, near to $200 at the time.  Lyman shows one at $53.95 and their 25 pound digital one at $359.95  bottom pour.  I don't think mine is either one of those.  Ideas?
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 06:30:34 PM »
The link provided by our favorite Uncle doesn't seem to work any more.  I am attaching two downloads from Lee for their lead pots.

~Kees~

Well, THAT didn't work.  :Doh! The files were probably too big.  Anyway, here is a link to the instructions on Lee's site.  Scroll down to Bullet Casting and they are the last two items, EL3469 and EM 1142.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 08:36:11 PM »
Thanks Kees!  :hairy

If anything, and I do mean anything Goodcould be said about the Corona-19 Virus, to me, it's the fact that this "stay at home, with everything being closed" policy, I can now honestly say that I not only got caught up on my casting, and paper patchin, but I could well be a star on the next TV program of  Hoarders
I own and shoot a lot of different calibers when I can get to the range.
There has been times when I'm well into my second can of Goex when I walk away disguested, or with a big smile on my face, depending on circumstances.
There's other times, when a Zero vertification is the only thing required, and that's when I haul all that "stuff" I carried out there, back to the house and put it up.
Then there's times, like right now, that I couldn't go the range if I wanted to, since my wife is Wheel Chair bound, and has been since early August, and I can't leave her long enough for range time since I have to drive about 30/40 minutes to the range, but this too shall come to an end within the next 60 or so days.
Casting, to me, has added a whole new dimension to my shooting.
There is quite a bit more to it than just filling a Mould with Galena.
Once you get into it, I mean really into it, for everything you shoot, then you'll know what I'm talking about.
It has been know for years that I also shoot Center fire, which adds yet another dimension to this casting game.
But Casting, Black Powder, Muzzle-loaders, and Buckskinners, is where my heart has been for the past five decades, and I imagine it will remain there.
You never get old to learn, and I suspect I pick up a little bit here and there on almost a daily basis, especially when it comes to the sport of Muzzleloading.
casting may seem like the most simple thing on earth, but Kees just passed on some of the most important information ever with his PDF Files on Casting.
In small print, on both of those examples, you will find a few instructions on Casting that are very valuable to the beginners.
Richard Lee is a well know name, from Roto-Metals, to the LA Silhouette Shooters.
There is a whole world of "Brand Names" and Specialty Mould Builders out there, but when you're first getting started save your money for all the lead you will need, and go the big names once you're comfortable with the Lee brand, and/or Lee equipment for casting.
The biggest question ever asked, and it continues to be asked every day, is the question of cost....is the RCBS, the SACO, the Rappine, or the Lyman worth the extra cost???
That is a very subjective question that only one person can answer and that one person is you, and your own knowledge level of the basis Casting rules, along with your own expectations.
When you really get your heart into the wonderful world of Casting you may want to pay a visit to the LA Silhouette Shooters Club's own Glenn Fryxel's on Casting Bullets.......   http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
Just start reading at your present level and I guaranoote ya, you're going to pick up a few pointers.
BTW: You will see the name IHMSA(international Handgun Metallic Shooters Association.
FWIW, I was a Charter Member of IHMSA number 13, If I remember right, and that Organization was formed at the FT.Bliss Rod & Gun Club, El Paso, Texas, back in 1976 or 1977. I was the Manager of that Club for 6 or 7 years back then and have shot with some really big names in the Shooting world back then....One cast bullet shooter that I shot with, and loved like a brother, was the late Skeeter Skelton, another was the late Elgin Gates, a world know Hunter and Shooter.....all the big name shooters have shot cast bullets at one time in their life, and every one of them that I've met are good, down to earth people.....and they have all been willing to share their knowledge.

Respectfully, Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 05:57:45 PM »
yep, that "lowly" lee 4# pot works just as well as any big buck furnace.  it's only limitation would be for casting 300 grain or more projectiles, where the pot would empty purty quick like.  i still believe the better value is in the lee 20# ladle pot and never any bottom pour pot.  add to this a good ladle, and a good mould - which to me means a cheap lee aluminum mould for dropping balls, and a BACO Jim mould for dropping bullets for greasers and slicks. ;)

for muzzleloaders requiring balls, one pot is all that's required, filled up with nothing but the silver stream galena.  it also does yeoman work for casting fishing sinkers, too, and i cast a variety of "sputnik" claw sinker weights for surf fishing.  however, i also need a variety of BPCR alloy bullets, so i have 20# pots dedicated to 1:16, 1:20, and 1:30 for tin:lead,  life is still good - so far!  ;)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 06:03:46 PM »
Running balls with a Lyman 8# pot ...

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 09:32:52 AM »
(V1.10.21.20)

To get into casting balls, it can be done very effectively on the cheap.  The Lee 4# furnace pot, a Lee ball mould, some pure lead, a pair of heavy gloves, and do wear proper clothing that will cover up both torso and extremity skin.  While most anything will do for a ladle, a proper ladle with a snout is best, acquired from Lyman, RCBS and others.  There is no pressing need for thermometer to check lead temperature, but it can help to dial and remain in a good temperature range.  For fluxing the lead, a bit of candle wax or sawdust works just fine.  For keeping the mould handle closed pressure uniform, a #64 rubber can be used.  A rubber mallet or big stick will be needed to whack open the mould sprue after casting, and maybe to whack the mould handles to release the balls.  We never hit the mould itself, not good.  A large spoon is needed to stir the lead and remove slag.  A 100% cotton towel to drop the balls onto.

The working casting temperature range will be 700 to 800 degrees, so that there alone is a safety concern.  Don't get burned, watch what yer doing, mind the ladle in the pot as the handle is easy to bump into and flip it and molten lead out.  What's most important is not to introduce any liquids into the casting pot, which will have an immediate tendency to literally explode the lead in grenade fashion.  Lead fumes are not human friendly, so all casting must be either done with a fan blowing or sucking fumes away from the caster, or just do it outdoors and it'll be fine.

With all that out of the way, running balls can begin.  Whether the mould is new or used, it typically should get cleaned inside and out with alcohol or acetone or my fave, brake cleaner.  Place the mould on the rim of the casting furnace and do the same for the ladle.  Plug in the furnace, turn the temperature dial to full on, allow the lead to liquefy and the mould and ladle to get hot.  When molten, remove the mould and ladle, add a pinch of sawdust or a pea sized bit of candle wax into the lead - it will smoke and flames will shoot up.  Stir the lead and scoop off the slag and debris.  What's left is a shiny silver lake of galena (lead).  Put the ladle into the lead and the mould on the furnace rim.  Give it a few minutes for the pot to come back to temperature.  Hold the mould in one hand, turn the mould top about 45*, fill the ladle.  If your ladle has a snout, push the snout into the mould sprue opening and turn both the mould and attached ladle upright, lift  out the ladle and dump the entire load of lead onto the mould.  If your ladle has no snout, pour the molten lead into the mould cavity as both are turned upright, and dump the entire ladle of lead on top of the mould.  Do the same for the other ball cavity,  Put the ladle back into the pot.  Within 5 -15 seconds, whack open the mould sprue plate, save the sprue lead and any lead knocked off the mould for remelting and casting later (not now), open the mould, drop the balls onto a soft 100% cotton folded towel - if they're "stuck" in the mould, whack the handle 'til they drop out.  Close up the mould and repeat the casting process.   

Temperature indicators --- If the dropped balls are shiny but wrinkled - this means the either the lead or the mould aren't hot enuf.  If the balls drop with a dulled silver "frosted" luster, this means the lead or the mould is too hot.  Shiny, clean, uniform dropped balls are the goal.  As the amount of lead lessens in the pot due to casting, typically the pot temperature will rise.  All of this may mean the pot's temperature control might need to be tweaked during the casting session.

When casting is over, leave the mould filled!  Allow it to cool completely, then wrap the mould tightly with Press 'n' Seal.  This keeps the mould from oxidizing and it's ready for immediate casting without cleaning or oiling.  I keep all cast balls in plastic baggies, with a squirt or two of WD40 to keep the balls shiny and not oxidized.

Online KDubs

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 10:54:22 AM »
 thank you for all this info, ive been thinking about casting balls for awhile.
 my father back in the 70'S used to make sinkers this way for fishing in the Detroit river. ( ya lose alot of sinkers in the river) as a young teen i found it fascinating, loved helping him.
 wish all these years later i had saved his stuff.
 when i got my 1st ML last year i bought 200 balls and patches thinking " that should last me a lifetime"  WRONG.
 besides i like to tinker and muttle around the shop anyways.
 Man this stuff is fun
 kevin
TMA Idaho rep.
USAF Medic 1982-1992  Aim High

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 11:15:01 AM »
Casting .490 balls for a .50 caliber using a cheap Lee 4# pot and cheap Lee ladle.  Did I mention this is "cheap"?   ;D

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 03:23:47 PM »
i still believe the better value is in the lee 20# ladle pot and never any bottom pour pot.  add to this a good ladle, and a good mould - which to me means a cheap lee aluminum mould for dropping balls,

RobD, I have not tried running ball. Why do you dislike bottom pour pots? Also, what do you think of those moulds with multiple cavities for making several balls at once?  Is it best to stick with a 2-ball mold, even if it's slower?

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 03:50:16 PM »
i still believe the better value is in the lee 20# ladle pot and never any bottom pour pot.  add to this a good ladle, and a good mould - which to me means a cheap lee aluminum mould for dropping balls,

RobD, I have not tried running ball. Why do you dislike bottom pour pots? Also, what do you think of those moulds with multiple cavities for making several balls at once?  Is it best to stick with a 2-ball mold, even if it's slower?

My opinions ...

Bottom pour pots can and will eventually have issues with the pour valve.  I'd bet that most pour pots eventually get plugged with a ball bearing and used as a ladle pot.  Ladle use is simpler, easier, cheaper, foolproof, allows "compression casting", and you will find they are vastly preferred by the BPCR match shooting crowd.

In the above "casting on the cheap" video I'm using a lee ladle.  It is far better to use a ladle such as by Lyman, RCBS, and others, that holds a lot more lead and has a "snout" that will allow compression casting (which will make for more uniform balls, bullets, and slicks).  They ain't cheap, but will work much better.

I prefer the Lee 2 cavity moulds for running balls and see no need for a more expensive ganged mould - save that money for a good ladle instead (as well as saving money on a ladle pot instead of a bottom pour pot).  A full ladle will allow quick pouring of both cavities.  A dozen balls can easily be cast inside of 5 minutes.  I see no need to go any faster.     

Using a better Lyman ladle to run balls ...

r.

Online Smokey

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 04:57:09 PM »
Thank you, RobD!  Your response was very informative.