Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The 'new ' Walker Colt...  (Read 4502 times)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
The 'new ' Walker Colt...
« on: February 16, 2018, 03:10:53 PM »
Many of us love the old Caplock pistols. Replicas have been produced in record numbers since the early 1970's, when the public interest in all Filntlock, Caplock Rifles, and Pistols, experienced a phenomenal rise in interest.

Here is, IMO, a very fine example of just that.
(I thought my fellow members just might enjoy knowing, and seeing this.)

BTW; I have no interests in either the Texas Ranger Foundation, or Cimarron Firearms!

Cimarron Firearms, known for their solid replicas and popular Cowboy Action guns, is producing a limited edition run of Walker replicas in .44-caliber. Colt Walker or Walker Colt revolvers were the most powerful, mass-produced black powder handguns made in its time.

Additionally, very few — 1,100 — original Walker revolvers were ever made. And most were made for military use making them rare and very collectible. Cimarron wants to put new guns in the hands of shooters and collectors alike with their replica 1847 Texas Ranger Walker .44 black powder repeater.

“The 1847 Walker was specifically designed to meet the hostilities of war and it put Samual Colt on the map as a gun maker,” said Jamie Wayt, Cimarron Firearms vice president. “The Texas Walker replica is meticulously produced. The attention to detail and craftsmanship make this replica a very special collector’s item.”

Walker insisted on a design so powerful that it would set the standard for decades to follow. (Photo: Cimarron)

The replicas will be as authentic as possible with original-style company markings with a special finish by Cimarron. Cimarron isn’t the first company to make Walker replicas but these guns stand out with their special aged finish and period markings.

The Texas Ranger Walker is a six-shot single-action .44 with a long 9-inch barrel. It has a substantial steel frame to handle the large charges. Walker insisted that the gun be capable of taking out a soldier on horseback, either by stopping the soldier or stopping the horse.

The original 1847 Walker revolver was a collaboration between Texas Ranger Captain Samuel Hamilton Walker and Samuel Colt. Built to fight in the Mexican-American War, Walker carried two of the revolvers but was killed on the battlefield shortly after receiving them.
See Also: Cimarron’s Evil Roy Cowboy Colt Replica

They are heavy at well over 4 pounds and were originally intended to be stowed in a saddle holster. That does help with recoil — each chamber can hold as much as 60 grains of powder.

In recognition of their legacy, Cimarron is going to donate 5 percent from each sale of every Texas Ranger Walker to the Former Texas Ranger Foundation.

And while the replicas are intended to be collectible with only 1,000 made, they’re very affordably priced with a suggested MSRP of $668. At that price, they will go fast, so collectors will have to move quickly before they’re completely sold out.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/cimarron-texas-ranger-walker/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20180216_FridayDigest_161&utm_campaign=/blog/cimarron-texas-ranger-walker/

Uncle Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
Re: The 'new ' Walker Colt...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 03:31:10 PM »
Good posting, Russ.  Thanks.
I sure did enjoy having one of them back in the day.  I don't think I was ever able to cram 60 grains of powder into mine, though.  52 or 53 was about my max charge.  Just couldn't get anymore in.  Especially with a wonder wad under the ball.

Above it says that Cimarron is making the guns?  I really wonder about that.  I would think rather that Uberti is making them to Cimmaron's specifications.  Hopefully, they will make the loading lever retaining spring a little more positive.  It sure is irritating to have to return it to home position after every shot.

On mine, I had a dovetail machined into the barrel just ahead of the forcing cone and I installed a simple fixed sight on the barrel.  That alleviated the famous Col. Colt's disappearing rear sight.  Big benefit.

Hope the new model works out well for Cimmaron.  Good people.

John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 09:11:54 PM »
My first handgun was an Italian replica of a Colt 1851 Navy.  The second was a replica Walker.  I literally wore that Navy out over the years.  The Walker didn't see much use because I got frustrated with the loading lever dropping with every shot.  Heck of a hand cannon, though.
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 03:34:59 PM »
Thanks Russ
bigsmoke you may be onto them.  Uberti and I'll check my Taylor's account to see if one shows up.

Update: Taylor's show 4 styles[colors] one is unfinished mfg. is Uberti

One in an antique finish like the one Uncle Russ posted. Actually IMO the antique finish is a well used coloration.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 03:42:16 PM by blackpowderbill »

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »
My first handgun was an Italian replica of a Colt 1851 Navy.  The second was a replica Walker.  I literally wore that Navy out over the years.  The Walker didn't see much use because I got frustrated with the loading lever dropping with every shot.  Heck of a hand cannon, though.
John

Loading lever dropping is a pain - no doubt about that. I've only shot a Walker once and I must say it handled good for such a heavy Revolver, but because of the loading lever issue - I'd take a 3rd Model Dragoon any day. (Not that I have a Dragoon)... My BP cap-n-ball Revolvers are the 1858 Remington Army, 1851 and  '63 Colt Navy Replica's. Regardless, the Walker is a classic!  :bl th up 
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 05:24:11 PM »
I would like to bring this thread back to life if I can....

Since posting this my Daughters slipped a new Walker in Father's day gift.

(FWIW: It seems the girls still care for their old dad, although we had a little disagreement a couple of years back when a Gibbs Rifle showed up under the Christmas Tree....I had been looking at a Gibbs for some time, and was really thinking about one, but I would never  expect it from my daughters. (They have other things to spend their money on.)
Besides that, there was problems with the rifle I didn't like it as soon as I opened it, so I sold it, unfired, at a bit of a loss but I did recover most of their money, thanks to my grandson.
Rob, our Admin and perhaps a couple more, know a bit of the story....but that was then, this is now.... I love my kids!)

Anyway, I have a brand new Walker, still unfired, much like the Ruger Old Army they gave me 15 or so years ago.
I ain't going to shoot that old Army, but as soon as I'm able I will be shooting the heck out of this Walker.

Got 200 OP Wads soaking in Mutton & Bees Wax, just have to "squeeze 'em out", got a .454 mold, and a .456 six-banger on order, and on the way.
Got enough caps, and enough Goex FFFg to last a lifetime, so this gun is going to get shot!!!

Here's a few pictures of this large revolver. I am going to call it "2 Sams"....Colonel Samuel Colt, and Captain Samuel Walker.
Two Sams that put their heads together to come up this beautiful revolver.
I put a .44 Mag Super Blackhawk in the picture because many folks "think" that BLackhawk is a big heavy gun...it ain't, not no more anyway.
Pictures are worth 1,000 words, or so they say.
But you decide.

Russ...   

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
The Origional "Magnum".
 John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 05:48:51 PM »
Quote from: RussB
Anyway, I have a brand new Walker, still unfired,

Ain't there a law (or sumpthin),.... against havein' an "unfired" pistolgun??????  :o :o

I'm sure I read that somewheres years ago.  :laffing :applaud :toast :bl th up
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 06:59:20 PM »
"I put a .44 Mag Super Blackhawk in the picture because many folks "think" that BLackhawk is a big heavy gun...it ain't, not no more anyway.  Pictures are worth 1,000 words, or so they say."  ...Uncle Russ

I think you're correct, Russ.  Even with its 10.5" bbl., my SBH doesn't weigh as much as the Colt's Walker.  Btw, I got to handle an original at an upscale auction in NYC years ago and it was as impressive as it was heavy.  Good luck with yours! 

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 07:09:18 PM »
Rondo, Oh my goodness, I guess I am guilty of yet another bit of law breaking.  I picked up a really sweet little 1862 Colt Police maybe 5 years ago, more or less, might have even been longer than that.  If someone before me fired it, I'd be surprised as it sure doesn't show any signs of wear.  And I know I have not shot it, yet.  Been too lazy to consider cleaning it afterwards.  So, unfired it sits.  Pity.  Probably needs a new home with someone who would take it out and exercise it on a regular basis.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 07:12:28 PM »
"I put a .44 Mag Super Blackhawk in the picture because many folks "think" that BLackhawk is a big heavy gun...it ain't, not no more anyway.  Pictures are worth 1,000 words, or so they say."  ...Uncle Russ

I think you're correct, Russ.  Even with its 10.5" bbl., my SBH doesn't weigh as much as the Colt's Walker.  Btw, I got to handle an original at an upscale auction in NYC years ago and it was as impressive as it was heavy.  Good luck with yours!

Maven, it is big, no doubt about it.
I found an old picture of my Revolvers from a few years back, I hate to dig 'em all out, unbox 'em, just to take pictures.
However, you can rest assured they are all alive and well!

...................snip...Gone..........

There is also a picture of the Old Army, that my daughters had engraved, and shes never been fired...it also spends its life in a box. I know that's a shame, a dirty rotten shame, it's just that some marbles are more colorful than other marbles, and dear to the heart.

This photo deleted as inappropriate by Uncle Russ...

Russ...

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 07:31:16 PM »
Rondo, Oh my goodness, I guess I am guilty of yet another bit of law breaking.  I picked up a really sweet little 1862 Colt Police maybe 5 years ago, more or less, might have even been longer than that.  If someone before me fired it, I'd be surprised as it sure doesn't show any signs of wear.  And I know I have not shot it, yet.  Been too lazy to consider cleaning it afterwards.  So, unfired it sits.  Pity.  Probably needs a new home with someone who would take it out and exercise it on a regular basis.
John

Then off to the gulags with you John,.... until you fire that sweet 1862 and redeem yoreself!  :laffing
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 08:40:46 PM »
I've only shot a Walker colt once (at Chadron Fur Trade Days) in the Diamond Jim Match that ol' Red Donker was holding. I gotta say, I liked it. The first and only shot I ever took with one went right through ol' Diamond Jim's heart and I won the match. Pure luck no doubt.  I remember thinking that the recoil wasn't all that bad and it pointed and held well as long as you didn't try to fine tune your hold.

Keep them hog'legs handy boys, 'cause next year I'm adding handguns to our Postal Match menu.  :bl th up

That's a great gift Russ!  :hairy 
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 11:24:33 PM »
Joe, I know you guys are probably tired of seeing that first picture of my pistols, but it was all I could find on my computer.

My love affair of C & B Pistols has waxed and waned over the many years I've been shooting them.
I think one major reason for that was because of my 1st Walker back in the mid 80's, early 90's.
The other reason would be the mess they make when you're putting a lot of rounds through 'em before scrubbing 'em down good.

IIRC, that 1sr Walker was made by ASM (Armi San Marco...I think?) and at the time it was thought by many to be the best thing since Doughnuts. At least that was what Dixie Gun Works was telling everybody, and Turner Kirkland sold 'em like Hot-Cakes.
Well...It wasn't!  The cylinder didn't line up real good and it spit lead, caps were continually falling off,  plus the loading lever dropped every time I shot it, no matter what load I was using.
I traded it off for a Palmetto Walker, that was butt-ugly, and practically worn out, but I shot it much better, so life was good. 

I have had other C & B Colt Pistols over the years that shot much better than I could hold them at 50 / 60yds but they were a ton of fun to shoot from the bench, and at 30yds.
At one time I owned a 1858 Rem Target Model with adjustable sights, but the guys wouldn't let me shoot with 'em cause I'd win all their Nickles & Dimes.... just about every time.
Since those guns were few and far between at that time, they decided to change the rules of the game a little bit to non-adjustable sights, so I traded that 1858 Rem. for another Colt. 
Their little deal ended up being okay with me after a while, because I had a Colt that shot dead center at about 60 'paces', and with the targets being on stands about about 4' high at 25yds, all I had to do was get a sight picture about half-way between the ground and the bottom of the black, and at times I even surprised myself.  I actually made black more often than not.

Somewhere between North McGregor Range and White Sands Missile Range, I shot, and / or shot at, a truck load of Jack Rabbits, and bagged two Badgers.....can't do that no more, the Badger Population on North McGregor is closed to hunting.
Plus, I 'killed' a hundred rocks, and a whole bunch of Prickle Pear Cactus that was "sneaking up on me" out there in that desert.
My goodness that was fun! You don't have to be a kid to have fun, it's available to everyone!

C & B Revolvers can indeed be a fun game.
You'll either love 'em, or you will end up hating 'em, because they are the dirtiest gun out there.
Of course, you guys already know all this.

Just reminiscing a bit I suppose. But I am looking forward to getting out as soon as I feel up to it again.
Got my OP wads all finished, and about 100 .454 ball ready to go, so we'll just wait and see what paper targets tells us about this new Walker.

Russ...

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 11:49:42 PM »
Caution: Non m/l content!

Uncle Russ, back around 1972 or 3 I lived near North Pole, Alaska, over by Fairbanks.  I always got my gas at Scotty's Gas Station, and the owner knew I like guns.  He asked me to come into the shop one day, and hands me a HUGE single action revolver, in .45-70.  A lovely piece he had picked up over the years.  He had never fired it, but his mechanic (who stood over 6') did, once. :laffing

Fast forward a couple of years when I was at the Gavora Mall in Fairbanks.  There was a gun shop there called "Down Under Guns", which was named that because it was under the stairs going to the second floor.  Under the glass of the counter was what I took to be the gun I had seen previously, and I made a comment along the lines of "I see you got Scotty's pistol."  The guy behind the counter immediately said "you know where the other one is?"  Then he told me the history of these guns.  It seems that in the 1930s a guy from Minnesota was planning to go to Alaska.  He had heard about all the big bears so had a pair of .45-70 pistols hand made, and took them up with him.  However, Alaska didn't suit him for some reason or other, he didn't get to be rich, and he sold the pistols for money to get back to the Lower 48.

A week after this I was back at Down Under Guns, and both pistols were facing each other under the glass.

I don't know what has happened to them.  in 2000 when I was last in Fairbanks, my ex-wife's husband was working at Down Under Guns (which had moved to the old Railroad depot) and I didn't really want to renew my acquaintance with her or him and didn't frequent the place.

Kees
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025