Traditional Firearms > Cap and Ball Revolvers

The 'new ' Walker Colt...

(1/7) > >>

Uncle Russ:
Many of us love the old Caplock pistols. Replicas have been produced in record numbers since the early 1970's, when the public interest in all Filntlock, Caplock Rifles, and Pistols, experienced a phenomenal rise in interest.

Here is, IMO, a very fine example of just that.
(I thought my fellow members just might enjoy knowing, and seeing this.)

BTW; I have no interests in either the Texas Ranger Foundation, or Cimarron Firearms!

Cimarron Firearms, known for their solid replicas and popular Cowboy Action guns, is producing a limited edition run of Walker replicas in .44-caliber. Colt Walker or Walker Colt revolvers were the most powerful, mass-produced black powder handguns made in its time.

Additionally, very few — 1,100 — original Walker revolvers were ever made. And most were made for military use making them rare and very collectible. Cimarron wants to put new guns in the hands of shooters and collectors alike with their replica 1847 Texas Ranger Walker .44 black powder repeater.

“The 1847 Walker was specifically designed to meet the hostilities of war and it put Samual Colt on the map as a gun maker,” said Jamie Wayt, Cimarron Firearms vice president. “The Texas Walker replica is meticulously produced. The attention to detail and craftsmanship make this replica a very special collector’s item.”

Walker insisted on a design so powerful that it would set the standard for decades to follow. (Photo: Cimarron)

The replicas will be as authentic as possible with original-style company markings with a special finish by Cimarron. Cimarron isn’t the first company to make Walker replicas but these guns stand out with their special aged finish and period markings.

The Texas Ranger Walker is a six-shot single-action .44 with a long 9-inch barrel. It has a substantial steel frame to handle the large charges. Walker insisted that the gun be capable of taking out a soldier on horseback, either by stopping the soldier or stopping the horse.

The original 1847 Walker revolver was a collaboration between Texas Ranger Captain Samuel Hamilton Walker and Samuel Colt. Built to fight in the Mexican-American War, Walker carried two of the revolvers but was killed on the battlefield shortly after receiving them.
See Also: Cimarron’s Evil Roy Cowboy Colt Replica

They are heavy at well over 4 pounds and were originally intended to be stowed in a saddle holster. That does help with recoil — each chamber can hold as much as 60 grains of powder.

In recognition of their legacy, Cimarron is going to donate 5 percent from each sale of every Texas Ranger Walker to the Former Texas Ranger Foundation.

And while the replicas are intended to be collectible with only 1,000 made, they’re very affordably priced with a suggested MSRP of $668. At that price, they will go fast, so collectors will have to move quickly before they’re completely sold out.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/cimarron-texas-ranger-walker/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20180216_FridayDigest_161&utm_campaign=/blog/cimarron-texas-ranger-walker/

Uncle Russ...

Bigsmoke:
Good posting, Russ.  Thanks.
I sure did enjoy having one of them back in the day.  I don't think I was ever able to cram 60 grains of powder into mine, though.  52 or 53 was about my max charge.  Just couldn't get anymore in.  Especially with a wonder wad under the ball.

Above it says that Cimarron is making the guns?  I really wonder about that.  I would think rather that Uberti is making them to Cimmaron's specifications.  Hopefully, they will make the loading lever retaining spring a little more positive.  It sure is irritating to have to return it to home position after every shot.

On mine, I had a dovetail machined into the barrel just ahead of the forcing cone and I installed a simple fixed sight on the barrel.  That alleviated the famous Col. Colt's disappearing rear sight.  Big benefit.

Hope the new model works out well for Cimmaron.  Good people.

John

Stormrider51:
My first handgun was an Italian replica of a Colt 1851 Navy.  The second was a replica Walker.  I literally wore that Navy out over the years.  The Walker didn't see much use because I got frustrated with the loading lever dropping with every shot.  Heck of a hand cannon, though.
John

blackpowderbill:
Thanks Russ
bigsmoke you may be onto them.  Uberti and I'll check my Taylor's account to see if one shows up.

Update: Taylor's show 4 styles[colors] one is unfinished mfg. is Uberti

One in an antique finish like the one Uncle Russ posted. Actually IMO the antique finish is a well used coloration.

Ohio Joe:

--- Quote from: Stormrider51 on February 16, 2018, 09:11:54 PM ---My first handgun was an Italian replica of a Colt 1851 Navy.  The second was a replica Walker.  I literally wore that Navy out over the years.  The Walker didn't see much use because I got frustrated with the loading lever dropping with every shot.  Heck of a hand cannon, though.
John

--- End quote ---

Loading lever dropping is a pain - no doubt about that. I've only shot a Walker once and I must say it handled good for such a heavy Revolver, but because of the loading lever issue - I'd take a 3rd Model Dragoon any day. (Not that I have a Dragoon)... My BP cap-n-ball Revolvers are the 1858 Remington Army, 1851 and  '63 Colt Navy Replica's. Regardless, the Walker is a classic!  :bl th up 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version