Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 2018 Mike Fink "Partner Up" Match  (Read 4314 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: 2018 Mike Fink "Partner Up" Match
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2018, 11:26:23 PM »
I am not a cut flint fan.  I use Tom Fuller and Rich Pierce's white ones from Missouri.  Both are great and coupled with a Chamber's lock you can't go wrong.

:hairy  8)

Dave

Dave, not that long ago I sent our own VP (Greyhunter, Lynn Adams) a few Rich Pierce, and a couple Tom Fuller flints. Haven't heard anything much back from him, other than a "Thank You", so I have to suspect they served him well..... His health went South on him last year so, like many of us, he may not have got to 'exercise' those flints enough to recognize their quality.

I'm pretty sure you're aware of this, but I have read of, and talked to guys,  who say they can get 70, 80, or even 100 shots from a Ton Fuller flint.
I can't do that!
I have to true-up flints after as few as 30 shots, according to the number of ball I put down range, sometimes getting a few more......but NEVER that magical 75 or 100.

I would like hear a bit more on just how happens, but those who say they do it don't know of anything special they're doing, soooo, could someone please relate just how that's done.

Uncle Russ..

If I recall, I was working on a flint that had reached 80 and shortly after that I just couldn't coax much more but a few shots from it. I think a lot depends on the quality of the flint and the lock, and the maintenance of that flint in the lock.

I feel the lock has a lot to do with it as well. My L&R Classic (which is very similar to the Large Siler - but the springs don't really seem as heavy) will give me about 50+ shots,,, while that Large Siler will give me about 35 to 40+.... Sometimes you just get lucky and a flint will give you quite a bit more,,, but more times then not (at least for me) I'd say 40 to 50 is a reasonable ballpark number for a Tom Fuller 3/4x7/8 Black English Flint.

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
Re: 2018 Mike Fink "Partner Up" Match
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2018, 05:08:29 PM »
:pray: :Doh! :o  OOooooppps!

Yea hot glue!!  I mess so much with perma glues I forget about my hot glue stick stash!  Thanks Jack!