Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Any one interested in a[nother] smoothbore shoot?  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
Any one interested in a[nother] smoothbore shoot?
« on: June 06, 2018, 02:55:07 PM »
I'm sure we all have plenty of chores to start and/or complete given how unpredictable the weather has been lately, but is anyone interested in a smoothbore shoot, say 5 shots @ 25 yd. offhand?  (I know this id odd coming from me since I'm hardly a great offhand shot:  Just look at my 2018 Silhouette targets if you need convincing :laffing)  Target choice can be a problem, but as was rummaging through my master copies of targets, I found this one, which is attached below.  It's 7" tall with a 2 3/4" bullseye + 1" X-ring.  Our club used to use it for a 25 yd. shoot in February as a respite from cabin fever.  I'm thinking ~November or so.

Let me know what you think.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Any one interested in a[nother] smoothbore shoot?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 03:24:05 PM »
I'm sure we all have plenty of chores to start and/or complete given how unpredictable the weather has been lately, but is anyone interested in a smoothbore shoot, say 5 shots @ 25 yd. offhand?  (I know this id odd coming from me since I'm hardly a great offhand shot:  Just look at my 2018 Silhouette targets if you need convincing :laffing)  Target choice can be a problem, but as was rummaging through my master copies of targets, I found this one, which is attached below.  It's 7" tall with a 2 3/4" bullseye + 1" X-ring.  Our club used to use it for a 25 yd. shoot in February as a respite from cabin fever.  I'm thinking ~November or so.

Let me know what you think.

Maven, we have three smoothbore monthly matches scheduled for (June / August and October)  Check out the link below. :shake

http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php?topic=22428.0
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 06:15:53 PM »
I didn't realize we had SB matches :Doh!, mostly because I don't participate in the monthly frolics*.  That being the case, I'll have $$ in the mail to you in the morning.  Also, to reduce the confusion, perhaps I should delete my post?

*2 reasons for this:  (1) Our range is closed between November & December for deer season.  (2) Sorry to say, my wife & I have become snow birds and are away from home for several months.  Ergo, monthly matches are not possible.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 06:50:25 PM »
I didn't realize we had SB matches :Doh!, mostly because I don't participate in the monthly frolics*.  That being the case, I'll have $$ in the mail to you in the morning. Also, to reduce the confusion, perhaps I should delete my post?

*2 reasons for this:  (1) Our range is closed between November & December for deer season.  (2) Sorry to say, my wife & I have become snow birds and are away from home for several months.  Ergo, monthly matches are not possible.

I wouldn't worry about that, Maven... Heck, some others may see this thread and join in the monthly matches.  :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 09:38:05 PM »
I didn't realize we had SB matches :Doh!, mostly because I don't participate in the monthly frolics*.  That being the case, I'll have $$ in the mail to you in the morning. Also, to reduce the confusion, perhaps I should delete my post?

I wouldn't worry about that, Maven... Heck, some others may see this thread and join in the monthly matches.  :bl th up

Maven, I would not worry about deleting your post, or creating confusion.
Heck, some of us never have the opportunity to leave home, unless it's a have-to-go situation....and still can't get to the Range!!!
I use ever excuse one can imagine, but my best excuse, so far this year, has been the weather.

To say it has been unpredictable and miserable would be putting it mildly, I / we didn't really see a nice Spring day until about mid May. 
A very common saying / joke right now has become......."Did we miss Spring this year ? Or did you enjoy all the Spring weather this year, we have had 3 or 4 of 'em, which one did you like best ? ?"

BTW: I like your Target.
I printed off a couple copies, hope color will help my score as nothing else seems to.
But first, I have to shoot to see.....right ??

Uncle Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 07:57:01 AM »
Russ, Ah yes, the weather.... :o  April was cold, but May was the hottest on record in these parts.  June has been a tetch chilly thus far, which is another way of saying range time is as unpredictable as, wait for it, the weather. :laughing  Glad you liked that target, which our club used for a squirrel shoot  (called a "Squirrelthon").  It might be a good smoothbore target, but as I wrote, I've never tried it.  OTOH, I have subscribed to OJ's June-August-October SB Match and have cast and gathered up stuff for it yesterday.  Like you, all I need to do now is get to the range and practice. :pray:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 12:28:49 PM by Maven »