Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: More Smoothbore Maintenance / Sear Spring Broke  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
More Smoothbore Maintenance / Sear Spring Broke
« on: July 19, 2018, 01:05:33 AM »
I discovered I had a weak Sear Spring when shooting my smoothbore at Rendezvous, so tonight rather then ordering one, I took the old one off the lock (which it promptly broke) but not a big deal at all as I had some metal strapping that's used to bundle wood posts, so I simply made and fitted a new one. It works good. In fact, I think it works better as I believe the strapping I used is of better material then the original on the Lott Lock.

In any event, I'm back in "smoothbore" business you might say. And it didn't cost me a penny!  :bl th up

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: More Smoothbore Maintenance / Sear Spring Broke
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 02:15:13 AM »
I discovered I had a weak Sear Spring when shooting my smoothbore at Rendezvous, so tonight rather then ordering one, I took the old one off the lock (which it promptly broke) but not a big deal at all as I had some metal strapping that's used to bundle wood posts, so I simply made and fitted a new one. It works good. In fact, I think it works better as I believe the strapping I used is of better material then the original on the Lott Lock.

In any event, I'm back in "smoothbore" business you might say. And it didn't cost me a penny!  :bl th up

That sounds like a "bargain" to me.  :applaud :hairy
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 08:21:18 AM »

That sounds like a "bargain" to me.  :applaud :hairy

:hairy

I've always said to myself, "if I can make the part - I'd rather do that then buy it." And it's good experience.  :bl th up

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 10:08:52 PM »
Details!  Did you anneal the strapping first?  How did you cut & form it?  If you annealed it, I guess you would have tempered it again - oil quench?  Inquiring minds need to know! At any rate, it sounds like another great home remedy to me!  :bow

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 10:32:24 PM »
Details!  Did you anneal the strapping first?  How did you cut & form it?  If you annealed it, I guess you would have tempered it again - oil quench?  Inquiring minds need to know! At any rate, it sounds like another great home remedy to me!  :bow

~Kees~

I didn't anneal it as it's "springy" enough the way the strapping is. I just cut it with shears and dremal tool and some file work / bend it into shape avoiding making any "sharp" tight bends, and since it doesn't take much to push the sear into place at both half and full cock, it's working fine. Even made a spare one tonight when I got home,,, just in case. So far all is working good. I've used this metal before to repair springs in the old time skeleton key door locks. Naturally the true test will be Range use and time.  :bl th up  I'll post some pictures tonight.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 11:32:18 PM »
I Made and fit another sear spring tonight - just in case. I now have 2 spare sear springs to carry with me in my shooting bag if I should need one (or two)... It's good practice.  :)

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 05:25:41 PM »
 :Doh! Joe, Joe, Joe, building, repairing, tinkering in the shop, your name should have been "Tinker Bell".
In all the years I've known you you have never slowed down, not even a little bit.
Wish I could find the time in a day to do even one-half the things you do!  :bow

It's about 2 pm here as I write this, and hotter than the shades of Hades outside.
Wildfires all around us, the Rifle Range has been closed due to "Fire Hazard" since the first part of July and, although the A/C is on in the shop, you'd never know it.
Less than six weeks ago everybody was wondering if summer would ever get here.
She came in like a charging Lion and she ain't let up, not even a little bit. I expect water rationing to come into play pretty soon as the snow on the mountains is getting higher and higher up the mountains, the first part of June was all about flooding, now we're wondering if we will have enough water....

When it gets like this a short nap seems in order, and I do that best in my old recliner.
Guess where I'm headed?  :toast
But, before I do that I wanted to say what a nice job you do with your "tinkering".
You hang in there brother, you're going to really enjoy that retirement when it gets here.  :bl th up

Uncle Russ....
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 06:43:15 PM »
you're going to really enjoy that retirement when it gets here.

I will, I can't wait to start tinkering even more!  :lol sign :toast  :shake

Russ my friend, thank you for the kind words. I do enjoy my little projects, especially the ones that I can say to myself; "if they could do this over 200 years ago, there's no reason I can't do it today."

Sure, some of the "hidden" materials and techniques my not be exactly the same as they were over 200 years ago, it's that workable end result I'm chasing - so to speak.

It's really hot here as well right now, so no workshop time until evening (if it cools down). Sure hope you get some relief from that heat out there.  :shake

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 06:48:47 PM »
Nice job, Joe! :hairy  How about posting a tutorial on how you accomplished it, as I'm most interested?

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 07:10:24 PM »
Nice job, Joe! :hairy  How about posting a tutorial on how you accomplished it, as I'm most interested?

Thank you Maven.

I don't know how good I'd be at posting a tutorial. I just kinda look at the project (like this Sear Spring) and jump in with what materials and tools I think I'll need - and just do it.  I think anyone could make and fit one of these if they needed to. All that's needed is that spring strapping, scratch awl, good hand metal shears, dremel w/ metal cutting wheel, small needle-nose pliers, measuring stick, and a 1/8" metal rod to make bends around it, as well as a bench vise. I would say to always try and avoid making sharp bends in the metal as that IMHO creates the start of a weak spot where a break could, and usually does appear.  :shake

Offline ridjrunr

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 12:43:00 AM »
I like your mindset Joe! Thats one of those things I have yet to mess with, springs. But it looks to me like you done it up right! Thanks for sharing this. :toast
HCH member
NRA member
Fluent in English and sarcasm
TMA Member #313
Expires 10/8/21

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 02:06:17 PM »
Thank you ridjrunr.  :shake