Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 180 Days  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
180 Days
« on: October 03, 2018, 09:25:09 AM »
As of today I have 180 days left to retirement. I bet it'll be the longest 180 days of my life... :lol sign

You military veterans probably remember our (short timer's calendar's). Well, this isn't quite the same but it comes pretty close.

I've had so many people tell me that, "oh, you're gonna be bored when you retire." I usually reply that I can find enough stuff to do, and I have have plenty of stuff to get done around the ol' homestead to keep me busy, not to mention all the hobby's I've created for myself over the years.

So, I guess I better get to work and knock out day 180..... :bl th up
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: 180 Days
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »
Those 180 days will seem to have passed quickly, after you're past them,.... trust me.  :laffing :toast
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 01:22:44 PM »
Joe, following your retirement from a paying job, you're going to wonder when on earth you ever found time to go do that job!

I mean with all the things that didn't get done over the years , because you knew you "had to go work", you will soon find yourself getting behind on all the things you had wanted to do before that retirement.
You will find yourself with more commitments, after retirement, than you ever had before in your life.
More people will come to you "for help" because they know you're retired.
You'll have to learn to say no, and not put your own life on hold just because you're not clocking-in any longer.

I think that knowing you have all these things you want to get accomplished is every bit as important as helping a neighbor stretch fence, repair a post hole digger, drop a transmission, or fix that neighbors old gun that has been 'broken' for the past 40 years, all because he also "worked" and didn't have time to do it himself.........while you have found time to actually do all this in the past, you just might find your self setting some new priorities.

"Love thy  neighbor, and help thy neighbor"  has always been a part of the Buckskiners's creed, IMHO
However, being retired, you will soon discover your neighbor, and your friends, all need a lot more help than they ever did prior to your retirement....remember what I said about you, your own self  ever finding time to go to work?

And, like most of us old pfharts, your disposition will change to the point where you will often be referred to as grumpy.
But you will still be the same old Joe.
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
Sound wisdom, Russ.   :toast :shake

Rondo, you're no doubt right about that time passing quicker then a person knows it.  :toast :shake

I do have some projects lined out that I've intentionally put on the back burner for years, and of course it entails muzzle loading. I've been collecting up parts for years for a certain rifle build for what I would call a "fancy" flintlock with some semi fancy engraving work. My curly maple slab I've had stored in my workshop for 10/12 years ought to be ripe for stock shaping by retirement. (it's always been ready to build a stock from, but heck, I set it aside a long time ago for just this purpose so that's what I'll use it for)... Also have a couple short barreled flintlock pistols planned that I have parts for.

I figure I'll split my time with home remodeling, muzzle loading hobby builds, and going to my grand kids activities. I also have the ol' row boat for fishing,,, so if'n someone needs me, I'll be here, there, or somewhere... :laffing

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
Great news Joe!  :applaud
 I had decided to retire in 2015, told the wife I was sick of working hurt- I was 57. She had come to GA to take care of her Dad.
So we put the house up for sale it sold the first week. I decided to make my last day at work Aug 28th which was closing day.
She found a home in Hull, GA that May.
10 days prior to me leaving the company outsourced the group. I  hung around until Nov 17th which about killed me.

When people ask me if I had a good week. I reply, every week is a good week for me, I'm retired.

:toast :toast

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »
The question I have is how does one stay retired?
We sold our original business in 2005 and moved down here to LaLaLand in April, 2006 to care for Ms. Smoke's mother who was in failing health.  We had planned a short time here, then maybe move back to Idaho, or ???  Well, as is said, man plans and God laughs.
Anyway, while here, since I had not sold the horn part of the business, I started making powder horns again and kept working until I was 70, at which time I sold the horn business and retired, yet again.  Earlier this year I was having an email conversation with the new owner of the business, and somehow or another, we agreed that I would start making powder horns for him.  So, I am now 73 and back out in the horn shop, making horn dust, albeit on a smaller scale than before, but I still manage to send out a box of finished powder horns every week or two.
Retired?  Yeah, sort of, but not quite.
Best of luck sticking with your decision to pull the plug.  It doesn't always work out as planned.  Of course, in my case, our travel plans kind of outdistance the income, so I did have to do something.  Might as well make powder horns, what else can I do?  Be a greeter at WalMart?  Nah, don't think so.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 08:15:54 PM »
Great news Joe!  :applaud
 I had decided to retire in 2015, told the wife I was sick of working hurt- I was 57. She had come to GA to take care of her Dad.
So we put the house up for sale it sold the first week. I decided to make my last day at work Aug 28th which was closing day.
She found a home in Hull, GA that May.
10 days prior to me leaving the company outsourced the group. I  hung around until Nov 17th which about killed me.

When people ask me if I had a good week. I reply, every week is a good week for me, I'm retired.

:toast :toast

:hairy  Sounds like it worked out good for you Bill  :bl th up

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 08:34:45 PM »
I'll still stay busy John, not overly busy of course.   :shake

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 09:17:09 PM »

Knowing you Joe, you betcha!

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 10:40:01 PM »
Congratulations! 
Yeah, they told me I would get bored too.  I told them the only people who get bored, are boring people.  They also said I would not be able to stayed retired.  That's easy, just have to learn to say NO!  Your week will soon consist of One Sunday and six Saturdays.
Steve Sells

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 10:56:24 PM »
I find lots of time for NAPS, between the other projects going on....  :lol sign

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2018, 12:03:58 AM »
Ah, a nap. That'd be nice. I consistently wake up every morning at 3:30 / 4:00 o'clock.  No matter how hard I try to get more then 5 hours of sleep each night, I just can't do it, and many a nights I doubt I even reach 5 hours. The only place I ever get more then 5 hours of sleep is when I'm in Rendezvous camp, but even then that's sometimes in question.

So, if the sleep thing continues when I'm retired, I'll just go out to my workshop and tinker and not worry about having to be anywhere when the sun comes up.  :shake (well, unless I have to be somewhere for some reason)  :Doh!

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2018, 12:08:08 AM »
Congratulations! 
Yeah, they told me I would get bored too.  I told them the only people who get bored, are boring people.  They also said I would not be able to stayed retired.  That's easy, just have to learn to say NO!  Your week will soon consist of One Sunday and six Saturdays.

Prairie Dog, everyone tells me the same thing. I just laugh and tell them, "I'll risk it..."  :lol sign

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 12:09:12 AM »

Uncle Russ, you know me pretty darn well my friend!  :toast :shake

Offline Uncle Russ

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 02:11:14 AM »

Uncle Russ, you know me pretty darn well my friend!  :toast :shake

Joe, I've been harassing you for well over 10 / 12 years about your "Tinkering"....i've even been the recipient of many of your so-called tinkering "end products."
I have found a little brass hammer is quite the Jewell for knapping flints, plus your bows are a class act in their own right.
(As long as you can receive them in one piece.)

There's been many little tinkering items come out of your shop, and to the best of my knowledge, they have all been practical and useful.......so please, don't give up your tinkering.
Heck, the next item I get just might be the one thing I have needed all my life and didn't realize it.

Tink-on Tinkerman !  :bow