Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: "The White Company"  (Read 2832 times)

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
"The White Company"
« on: October 22, 2018, 06:49:46 PM »
whilst sir arthur conan doyle was best known for his sherlock holmes books, here is his fictional account of a band of archers during the hundred years' war in 1366.  click the image below to begin.  it's got a goodly amount of middle english nomenclature and verbiage, but you'll get the gist of it all.  i reread this book annually.  interesting archery chapters are in chapters XIII, XVI, XXII, XXXIV.

(yes, wyeth's illustration of the battle archer is incorrect - war archers never used shoulder quivers, always a canvas bag quiver on their hip or at their feet, stocked with 24 bodkin pointed shafts at the least - to boot, this archer's quiver is on the wrong side for a right handed draw, and the draw bow suggests the tips are reflexed, whilst english longbows were straight with some string follow)

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: "The White Company"
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 09:09:25 PM »
It's my understand that the longbow (Warbow) English Archers also simply stuck their arrows in the ground next to them and went to showering their enemies.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 09:29:00 PM »
dirt and feces on the bodkins added contamination to wounds, so i've read.  troop movements required the large canvas hip quiver.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 09:06:20 AM »
I've read that too, Rob.

I've always wanted to build a Yew warbow, but it wouldn't do me any good as those things ran (as I  understand it) anywhere from 90 to 120+ pound (give or take)... I'd never be able to string it, or pull it if I ever did get such a thing strung. They are a very interesting bow to be sure, as is the arrow tips designed for specific usage against all sorts of enemy armaments.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 09:17:46 AM »
i used to be able to hold a 65# for at least 3 seconds without any trembling, these dayze i can only do that with a 48# bow.  aging ain't fun.  ::)

the bodkin was the armor piercing point and the most common arrow head for war.  some were tri or quad sided, some more spear-like, but all were quite long.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Maven

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #778
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 10/21/2021
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 09:29:31 AM »
Most interesting & informative discussion. :bl th up  I hope it continues!

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 08:50:26 PM »
i used to be able to hold a 65# for at least 3 seconds without any trembling, these dayze i can only do that with a 48# bow.  aging ain't fun.  ::)

the bodkin was the armor piercing point and the most common arrow head for war.  some were tri or quad sided, some more spear-like, but all were quite long.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

I wonder how they held there arrow heads on? Hide glue, bees wax? I don't know if I ever read what they used. We know the Indians would use senew to hold their flint arrow heads in place.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 09:16:42 PM »
prolly easiest and most secure - a single pin.

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 10:27:35 PM »
Take a look at my post below on the history of the Long Bow.  I would have to reread portions of it, but I believe Mr. Hardy covers the glues used, etc. in his book.

Incidentally, if anyone wishes to borrow mine I'll gladly mail it as long as I have your firstborn as security that I will get it back.  On second thought, I have an empty nest now, so keep the firstborn.... :laffing

Kees

P.s. I just ordered this (used) from Amazon.  There was a NEW copy for $63+... :o
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:57:40 PM by Winter Hawk »
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 04:12:06 PM »
My copy arrived today, in pristine condition except for a small piece of the dust jacket being torn off.  I don't even think it has been opened, as it has that new book feel when flipping the pages.  I have skimmed through it and am sure I will thoroughly enjoy reading it once I am done with The Voyageur by Grace Lee Nutte and H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald.

Thank you Rob for posting this!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 02:56:07 PM »
I finally got to reading The White Company.  Thank you Rob for suggesting it, I really enjoyed the read.   :hairy

The last chapter wasn't equal to the rest in my opinion; it felt like Conan-Doyle was just trying to make a quick end to it.  Otherwise it made me want to get out in the back yard with my longbow and fling some arrows!

If anyone wants to borrow it, let me know and I'll pop it in the mail to you.  I won't even hold out for your fist-born!  :laffing

-Kees-
NMLRA Life

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 03:06:42 PM »
the middle english can be a bit daunting but a good read, and good stoke for grabbing a longbow and some feathered ash shafts.  8)

i prefer reading a real book, however i did put it here, online .... The White Company

these chapters will be of particular interest ... XIII, XVI, XXII, XXXIV

Offline LRB

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 01:08:31 PM »

I would suspect hide glue or friction. All a war arrow would need is enough security to not fall off easily. Look up Henry the 5th and his wound. He took an arrow in the face. below the eye, 6" deep. The shaft was simply pulled free leaving the iron head inside. A surgeon had a special tool made to retrieve it, and Henry survived.

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 01:24:35 PM »

I would suspect hide glue or friction. All a war arrow would need is enough security to not fall off easily. Look up Henry the 5th and his wound. He took an arrow in the face. below the eye, 6" deep. The shaft was simply pulled free leaving the iron head inside. A surgeon had a special tool made to retrieve it, and Henry survived.

for a military war arrow, i totally agree - probably fish glue, same as was used for fletching.

for hunting, roving, etc, wherever arrows are to be retrieved and reused, the heads had to be riveted.

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 05:52:56 PM »
Awesome post and great string of comments. After years of bow hunting, my should finally betrayed me. I have since stalked the wily stag with a crossbow, and in fact got a nice 5 pointer on first day of bow season this year.

But the truth is I do not like the crossbow. It is an ugly and ungainly machine that has none of the grace of a bow and needs none of the skill required either. I use my crossbow because it allows me another month to be in the woods and attempt to fill my freezer. But, I long for the days when I was fit enough to pull back a real bow.

Thanks again for a great post.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan