Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > Shooting the Bow

"The White Company"

(1/5) > >>

RobD:
whilst sir arthur conan doyle was best known for his sherlock holmes books, here is his fictional account of a band of archers during the hundred years' war in 1366.  click the image below to begin.  it's got a goodly amount of middle english nomenclature and verbiage, but you'll get the gist of it all.  i reread this book annually.  interesting archery chapters are in chapters XIII, XVI, XXII, XXXIV.

(yes, wyeth's illustration of the battle archer is incorrect - war archers never used shoulder quivers, always a canvas bag quiver on their hip or at their feet, stocked with 24 bodkin pointed shafts at the least - to boot, this archer's quiver is on the wrong side for a right handed draw, and the draw bow suggests the tips are reflexed, whilst english longbows were straight with some string follow)

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Ohio Joe:
It's my understand that the longbow (Warbow) English Archers also simply stuck their arrows in the ground next to them and went to showering their enemies.  :shake

RobD:
dirt and feces on the bodkins added contamination to wounds, so i've read.  troop movements required the large canvas hip quiver.

Ohio Joe:
I've read that too, Rob.

I've always wanted to build a Yew warbow, but it wouldn't do me any good as those things ran (as I  understand it) anywhere from 90 to 120+ pound (give or take)... I'd never be able to string it, or pull it if I ever did get such a thing strung. They are a very interesting bow to be sure, as is the arrow tips designed for specific usage against all sorts of enemy armaments.

RobD:
i used to be able to hold a 65# for at least 3 seconds without any trembling, these dayze i can only do that with a 48# bow.  aging ain't fun.  ::)

the bodkin was the armor piercing point and the most common arrow head for war.  some were tri or quad sided, some more spear-like, but all were quite long.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version