Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Dan'l Boone & Colonel Coon???  (Read 448 times)

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
Dan'l Boone & Colonel Coon???
« on: December 01, 2018, 12:38:39 PM »
In the early 1950s when our family didn't have a t.v. and I spent many hours listening to radio programs, there was a 5 minute "filler" show by the above title.  It would have some adventure or other of Daniel Boone and his sidekick, a racoon named, you guessed it, Colonel Coon (or was that Kernel Coon?).  That's all I remember about it from when I was about 8 years old.  Does anyone else remember this show?  Just curious...

~Kees~

Oh, and my folks didn't get a t.v. until 1977.... :laffing
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
Re: Dan'l Boone & Colonel Coon???
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »
I think we got our first one about '56. I remember watching my Brklyn Dodgers on Sat afternoon. Don't remember listening to that show Kees.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 10:23:12 PM »
It may have been locally produced in Hawaii.  Like I said, it was only about 5 minutes long, and humorous situations.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 08:08:24 PM »
Us ain't had no TV till 19FiftyFoe! :Doh!

Sides...I was too much a busy shootin sparrows wit my Red Ryder at night wit a flashlight attached to the barrel!! :bl th up
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Online doggoner

• TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 01:22:04 PM »
I remember the "Big John and Sparky" show on the radio. I still break out in their theme song sometimes. It was "The teddy bears picnic". That was 1949 or maybe in the early 1950's. Good memories.

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

Offline Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 08:35:21 AM »
I confess to being an "Old Time Radio" addict. I researched "Daniel  Boone" and there were a number of  shows but none with a "Colonel Coon". Sorry, Kees. It probably was a local filler and not archived. Audio tape and wire was expensive and often reused back then.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 02:08:00 PM »
I remember the "Big John and Sparky" show on the radio. I still break out in their theme song sometimes. It was "The teddy bears picnic". That was 1949 or maybe in the early 1950's. Good memories.

doggoner

That was my favorite radio show "back in the day."  A couple of years ago, I was looking around a web site called something like "Free Sheet Music" and found The Teddy Bear's picnic.  Of course, I printed off a copy.  How could I not, even if they charged for it.  Guess now I will have to spend some time looking for it and give it a play.  Or maybe I will just find it on the computer again.  Probably  be faster.
John
PS  Failing memory getting the best of me.  What was Sparkey, just cannot recall.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 04:36:33 PM »
OK, a couple of bits of trivial knowledge.
Teddy Bear's Picnic, written in 1907, words were not written until 20+ years later.
Sparky was a puppet.
None of the early radio shows were recorded by the studio.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online doggoner

• TMA: Supporting Member # 687
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration; 9/2021
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 11:34:53 PM »
Bigsmoke

Sparky was a puppet I think. The show was on KFBK out of Sacramento, Ca. on Saturday morning. I was raised in Galt Ca. which at the time was a wide spot in Hwy 99 almost half way between Sacramento and Stockton. It was a great place to grow up in but has went downhill as the years have gone by. I carried my shotgun to school on the school bus and left it in the principal's office . After school a couple of buddies and I would go duck or pheasent hunting or whatever. No one thought it unusual or out of place. Now a kid would be torn limb from limb for even saying he had a gun. One of several reasons I live some place other than where I was raised.

doggoner
"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," --Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.