Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Pretty Bold Adventure!  (Read 567 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Pretty Bold Adventure!
« on: January 26, 2019, 08:13:24 PM »
Worth watching!  :bl th up

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: Pretty Bold Adventure!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 09:18:06 PM »
Thanks for the video Joe,.... I'm sure glad I ain't gettin' old like them fellas.  :laffing
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Winter Hawk

• TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 09:47:42 PM »
Cool little video.  I just finished reading "Man & Horse, the long ride across America" by John Egenes who rode from the West Coast to the East Coast in the early 1970s.  Not as a mountain man, though he did carry an old single action Colt.  Fascinating!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 11:05:35 PM »
I give them a'lot of credit for seeing it through. Don't know if anyone would even want to try something like that in today's world, but that might be my age talking. I've kind'a grown fond of those "creature comforts" if'n you know what I mean.

I expect the American Mountain Men would give it a good go.  :bl th up   

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 11:37:45 PM »
I give them a'lot of credit for seeing it through. Don't know if anyone would even want to try something like that in today's world, but that might be my age talking. I've kind'a grown fond of those "creature comforts" if'n you know what I mean.

Joe,.... they have in the past, though I don't know if any trips were recorded on video.  :bl th up

Some'a them fellas cover some serious ground riding to rendezvous (like the Rocky Mountain Nationals,... and the AMM Nationals).  :bl th up :)
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 03:06:22 AM »
Thanks for the video Joe,.... I'm sure glad I ain't gettin' old like them fellas.  :laffing

Rondo, I was just thinking maybe you shouldn't let your Mule "Moly" see this, you know, her getting up in age in all, she just might get a hankering for a "Road Trip", pack, carriage, and all.

Russ...
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 08:24:15 AM »
Rondo, I was just thinking maybe you shouldn't let your Mule "Moly" see this, you know, her getting up in age in all, she just might get a hankering for a "Road Trip", pack, carriage, and all.
Naw Russ...Moly is way smarter...she'd just tell Rondo "Go ahead, I'll catch up to ya in little while" :wave
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 12:26:11 PM »
Naw Russ...Moly is way smarter...she'd just tell Rondo "Go ahead, I'll catch up to ya in little while" :wave

Fact is fellas,........ I have been thinkin' 'bout getin' rid of Ol' Molly lately, because of her cumpleet and udder lack of, "natchural intelijunce",.....  :bl th up

After all these years,...... I'm beginin' to think there ain't much point in keepin'a dum/ignarunt mule around, thet has always made "ME" do all the packin'.  :o

HA! HA!,..... I'll finally git'tha chance to show hur, she ain't near as smart as she thinks I am!  :bl th up :applaud :toast :*:  :laffing

'sides,.... she drinks way too much'a my licker when I ain't lookin'.  :o
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Hawken

• TMA Forum Member
  • "A man's WORD....is his total value!"
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #802 Expiration 05-04-2021
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 12:33:39 PM »
I would have ventured out on that trip when I was 35 or 40 but during those years my backside was glued to the seat of an airplane day in and day out! Just like most folks trying to support and feed a family....very few have time for such as these guys got to partake of! :hairy

Now that I've retired...I find that I'm too old to enjoy those things such an adventure that these guys were privy to!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:35:32 PM by Hawken »
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 11:51:49 AM »

Joe,.... here you go!  :hairy

TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 12:10:13 PM »
Thanks Rondo  :hairy

I have seen this video before (just recently) and I was going to post it here (in fact I thought I did  :Doh! ) but something must of came up and side-tracked me, which doesn't seem to take much these days... :laffing

This is a great video, and well worth the watch folks!  :bl th up

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 12:49:50 PM »
Great video.  Kinda slow in places, but so what.  Nice scenery, green hillsides, easy ride where no one got hurt.
It was especially fun towards the end seeing a couple of fellows who I used to rendezvous with in years gone by.  It must have been a terrific hardship having to resort to propane fueled cooking fires because of fire danger.  But like the good boy scouts they are, they came prepared for that contingency.  But I do hate it when that happens.
Anyway, what a trip that must have been.  Can't say that I would be able to do it now, but back in the day, I would have been game to give it a try.  Good fun.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 01:29:12 PM »
Great video.  Kinda slow in places, but so what.  Nice scenery, green hillsides, easy ride where no one got hurt.
It was especially fun towards the end seeing a couple of fellows who I used to rendezvous with in years gone by.  It must have been a terrific hardship having to resort to propane fueled cooking fires because of fire danger.  But like the good boy scouts they are, they came prepared for that contingency.  But I do hate it when that happens.
Anyway, what a trip that must have been.  Can't say that I would be able to do it now, but back in the day, I would have been game to give it a try.  Good fun.

I know what you mean John,.... I'm gettin' old and my health ain't good, my horse is gettin' old and has arthritis in his hips, and my mule is gettin' old.

Time passes,.... but the good memories remain.   :hairy
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online RobD

• TMA Admin
  • TMA President & Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 05:09:55 PM »
it's all AWESOME good stuff!  :hairy  :hairy