Traditional Firearms > Traditional Archery

My Osage Orange Horse Bow in the makin'

(1/6) > >>

rollingb:
Just got word from Steve Donker in Cheyenne Wyoming (The Wicked Limb), with the latest update of the progress on my new osage orange Horse Bow,....

Rondo

Just wanted to show you the skins I got in the mail friday.  They are western diamond back  rattlers from eldarado KS.  For some reason I was thinking the guy I get these from was in Arizona  but I was mistaken.   Anyway he always has  first rate skins.  They are always in perfect condition and the pattern is really nice.  The more I work on this bow the more excited I get to see the end result.   This whole bow building thing really is an addiction.   

I have also done some rough tillering  and even took a few short draw shots with it this afternoon.   

I'll keep you posted on the progress.   

This bow will be backed with sinew and rattle snake skins.  :applaud

Ohio Joe:
That's looking good Rondo. We've both known Steve for a long time and one thing about the Donker's is if they're doing something for you - it's gonna be done right! I can hardly wait to see it at the Rendezvous this year.  :bl th up

Heck Rondo, I'm surprised you didn't go down on the Cimarron River and wrestle yourself a couple sidewinders to send Steve... :o

rollingb:

--- Quote from: Ohio Joe on January 28, 2019, 08:16:26 AM ---That's looking good Rondo. We've both known Steve for a long time and one thing about the Donker's is if they're doing something for you - it's gonna be done right! I can hardly wait to see it at the Rendezvous this year.  :bl th up

Heck Rondo, I'm surprised you didn't go down on the Cimarron River and wrestle yourself a couple sidewinders to send Steve... :o

--- End quote ---

Joe,.... if'n I ever get close enough to a rattle snake to "wrestle" him,.... there ain't gonna be enough left of that slitherin' critter to "back" a toothpick. :o (I hate snakes)

ridjrunr:
Thats looking to be a beautiful bow! What poundage are you aiming for? Btw, Eldorado is only 20 miles from me but I didnt know they had rattlers there😳

rollingb:

--- Quote from: ridjrunr on January 28, 2019, 12:10:44 PM ---Thats looking to be a beautiful bow! What poundage are you aiming for? Btw, Eldorado is only 20 miles from me but I didnt know they had rattlers there😳

--- End quote ---

Hi Dan,.... Steve is aiming for 45-50 pounds draw weight.  :bl th up

I've always wanted a "snakey" horse bow, and it looks as though this is going to be good one,.... if nothing unexpected happens.  :bl th up
I bought an osage orange bow (backed with silk) from Steve last summer, and gave it to my son and he loves it.

My next project is make a couple of early-1800's (western plains and rocky mountain) quivers for both bows, but I'm having trouble finding out EXACTLY how they were made. I have found a few pictures of Apache, Crow, and Sioux, quivers in museums, but not much else.

I want to make the quivers out of brain tanned deer and elk hides.  :bl th up

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version