Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: My Retirement Appointment  (Read 937 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
My Retirement Appointment
« on: February 08, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »
Well, today is the day for my Social Security appointment at 10:30...  Officially I have 18 working days left - then I go on vacation - and then wait for the Eagle to start crapping monthly... Well you guys that are retired now know what I mean.  :toast

I've been asked so many times now about if I'm sure I want to retire at 62? Well the answer is and always has been, yes.  I have plenty to occupy my time, not only projects going on, but family things as well, and perhaps even sleeping in until 5:00 am instead of always waking up at 4:00 / 4:30 am worrying about if I'm gonna have enough hours in the day to get done what I want to get done. Who knows, I might even start making it to 5:30 am before crawling out'a bed.  :laffing

I can't remember a time I didn't work - whether it was when I was 7 or 8 (maybe 5 or 6) years old picking up rocks out of the field for a nickle a day and sometimes a dime for candy money, and then getting my first real job at 13 years old when we moved off the farm to town and I went to work at the Ohio Theater as an usher making big money (.75 cents and hour)... Well those days are long behind me now, as are the trips to town before I became a teenager and we hunted pop bottles for the .02 cent return deposit or mowing lawns, raking leaves, and shoveling snow... It's been a long run and some folks make even a longer run,,, but my goal since I can remember has always been to retire at 62.  It's been quite a ride, and in the end being able to spend more time with my wife, kids, and grand kids - has made it all worth it.  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
Re: My Retirement Appointment
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 10:16:24 AM »
I retired at 62 last year, Joe. No regrets. Still have dreams (nightmares) about work occasionally  but fewer now. Congratulations  and welcome to the good life. Those 18 days will fly by.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online Fyrstyk

• TMA Forum Member
  • "When your dumb, you gotta be tough"
  • TMA Member: Member #799
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 11:37:58 AM »
I retired even earlier at 60 on the recommendation of my physician.  He told me if I didn't retire, the stress from the job would put me in the grave before I could collect SS.  Best advice I ever took.  At first I just couldn't change my schedule of sleeping, but I gradually overcame that.  I also had a hard time slowing down.  I used to run around like a madman on the weekends trying to get all the homeowner type jobs done.  Then i realized I didn't have to rush, I had plenty of time.  I could mow half the lawn one day, and the other half the next, and the trimming the next.  I also had plenty of time to do some fishing, and go to the range to perfect BP loads in my guns, and spend more time hunting.  Retirement is great. I am finally doing the hunting, fishing and hiking that I always dreamed of.  Yeah, maybe I don't have as much money to spend, but I spend what money I have more carefully.  It took me about 6-9 months to slow down, but now I am in the best shape, heath wise, than I was in my fifties. 
Best of luck to you.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 04:45:40 PM »
Thanks Nessmuk and Fyrstyk   :bl th up I'm in good company! :shake

Well they claim my first check will be deposited into my bank account on May 4th - so, so far so good. They also told me if I wished to continue to work I was allowed to make no more then $17,400 in a given year until (I forget what age he said)...

Anyway, I need to play out the string into March - so not many working days left at all. I will continue to watch my spending - as one must do, or should do, so I'm no stranger to that as I've been a doing it for sometime as I was preparing for this day.

Only one thing left to do of real importance - get my small game and fishing licence for 2019!  :hairy

Well, got some honey do's to do as well... :laffing  Ahhh, the list.... :pray:

Online dmarsh

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 09:37:13 PM »
I retired at 62 as well.  That was 8 years ago.  Took about 6 months to get into the swing of it.  I was getting up at 5 AM and working by 6 AM.  Now I get up at 8 or 8:30 and we have our coffee and start a nice easy day doing what ever we enjoy.  Mowing the lawn isn't a hassle as I can stretch it out if need be.  I shoot, hike, kayak, hunt and fish when I want to and can gear activities to the weather which actually has bee pretty crappy the last 6-8 months I would say.  Anyway as they say come on in, take your shoes off, put your feet up and relax a while.  Enjoy …... :hairy :toast :*:

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Online Hank in WV

• TMA Member: Charter Member #65
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 09:55:59 PM »
I'm feeling a bit like an out-cast somewhat. I haven't been able to make myself retire. I pretty much like my job, don't have a boss that's always checking my shirt size, and pretty much take on the projects I choose to. Like Joe, I'm hanging it up in May with mixed emotions about it but I am getting tired. I'll be 72 when I'm done. The bad thing is I'll miss all the extra money. Oh well.
Hank in WV
TMA Charter Member #65, exp 4/30/2026
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 06:31:40 AM »
Hank my friend, I know you'll do just fine. I expect the Pittsburgh Pirates will have a seat reserved for you this season. :toast 

I expect we all miss the money we use to make, but it's not like a person still can't do some stuff on the side to make a few extra bucks here and there, and the nice thing is - you have the option to pick and choose what you want to get involved in...

I think you're gonna enjoy retirement just fine. You've earned it.  :shake

Offline blackpowderbill

• TMA Forum Member
    • BlackPowderBill Blog & Sales
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »
I left at 57 which was my goal in 1993 when hired at Xerox. I had worked since I was a kid gardens,lawn , painting gas stations,REVCO Rx then the USN. At Xerox I was sick and tired of working hurt. Fed up with the union and company shuffles. I had decided to retire early in 2014 . The wife and I figured GA as some of her family if here. Her father needed help he died in between all this.

Figured to live in his place , which he had given to the wife 10 yrs earlier till we found another one.

She found a home outside Athens in May. Our house in New Yorkisstan sold in a week that June I never told anyone at work. Lousy looters they are always slithering around.  I was set to retire Aug 28 2015 the same day as the closing on the NY home. The Looters and company called a special meeting Aug 18 to announce we were being outsourced.

Yea no one said squat to me.  So I went to GA on the 28th returned for another 2.5 months of torture so as not to loose out on 6 months of pay and medical. Stayed at a friends home.

I didn't work sat around on limited duty. Oct 17 I was called into the office and told they had to send me home, Rules ya know past 90 days on the light duty list. Took a month hung around the club some. Finally on Nov 17th I signed the papers and was gone by 0830 am headed south. The week of the 7 ft snow storm.

I was reminded if I sued I had signed papers it was up to me to pay the company lawyers. I responded , nah I think if I sue that will be decided on by the judge and if I win you'll be paying your fee.

The real burner is the union knew in April this was going to happen. I was called into the office on the same light duty stuff then.No one said hey Bill go out now and don't say anything.

I was on my way to SS disability and it was pulled back when I was stuck at work.

I did sue for my workers comp the company failed to pay me for. As I knew my lawyer was no win-no pay. He was paid and the company ate their fees.

Last July 2018 I received notice of being awarded my SSI full shot like I was 65-66 and back pay from April 2015. Can't even imagine the IRS taxes owed coming up this tax season.

I love being retired.  :hairy
It is a tad boring here in Athens not many gun clubs around. ML shoot once a month where as in NY I could shoot 3-4 times in matches per month.
I hang out at a local gun shop and help with misused items.

Other than playing the medical insurance shuffle it's COOL being retired.

Bill

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 02:13:10 PM »
Bill, I talked to my older brother the other day (he's 1 yr & 1/2 month older then me) and he had his retirement appointment the other day, just like I did mine... Anyway, it's funny - we're both (set / scheduled) to start drawing benefits at the same time... I had no idea he had decided to retire, but good on him!  :toast :hairy

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 08:41:15 AM »
As of today I have 7-1/2 working days left - then on to vacation (7 days) - then on to Retirement. I'm edging a bit closer with each passing day.  :applaud  I'm gonna be so under-foot, my wife ain't gonna know what to do with me...  :lol sign

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 09:13:18 AM »
 :hairy :applaud :*:
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online dmarsh

• TMA Member: Member #798
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 09:26:12 AM »
As of today I have 7-1/2 working days left - then on to vacation (7 days) - then on to Retirement. I'm edging a bit closer with each passing day.  :applaud  I'm gonna be so under-foot, my wife ain't gonna know what to do with me...  :lol sign

Well if your wife is anything like mine she will have plenty for you to do....... :lol sign :Doh! :hairy

Dave
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline amm1851

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 11:36:56 AM »
Congratulations on your approaching retirement. You have earned it! I plan to retire at 62 in a little over three years, and look forward to it more than I care to admit. Enjoy!
Life member, National Rifle Association
Molon labe

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 01:48:19 PM »

Well if your wife is anything like mine she will have plenty for you to do....... :lol sign :Doh! :hairy

Dave

That's what I'm a'feared of Dave...  :pray: :laffing

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 01:54:27 PM »

Dave

:hairy

Yep, that's how the lady folk seem to roll.
And, it seems to come on pretty strong, right about retirement time.

:Doh! Otherwise,  How in the world did I ever find time to go to work all those years?

Russ...

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4