Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: April 2019 Monthly Postal Match Results  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: April 2019 Monthly Postal Match Results
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2019, 06:33:22 PM »
Well, the only other two things I can thing of; 1. are your caps stored where they're drawing moister? 2. Perhaps your lock's main-spring is getting weak?

I guess there is one other thing - you might try and take some emery cloth and run it around the nipple cone.  Perhaps the nipple cone is to large where the cap base bottoms out on that cone?
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2019, 01:03:10 PM »
Joe
Yes those matches were all off-hand
Steve Sells

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2019, 01:13:34 PM »
Sharpstick,

Check your nipple.  when it becomes mushroomed from use the cap will not seat all the way down.  The first hammer fall only drives it down onto the nipple and the second hammer fall will fire the cap.  This may be your problem.

I see this often on the firing line at rendezvous shoots.  Two quick fixes are:  try a larger cap.  Remington caps are a little larger than CCI.  Replace the nipple.  I always have a spare nipple in the patch box.  The damaged nipple can be filed down by rotating it in your drill while filing it.

If that doesn't do the trick try a new tin of caps.  It's possible the caps are damaged but I doubt it.  A weak mainspring would be the last possibility I would suspect. 
Steve Sells

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2019, 01:17:04 PM »
Joe
Yes those matches were all off-hand

Good deal, Steve!  :toast :hairy

Offline SharpStick

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: State Represenative, AZ
  • TMA Member: Membership #806 Expires 8/11/2021
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2019, 01:26:40 PM »
Sharpstick,

Check your nipple.  when it becomes mushroomed from use the cap will not seat all the way down.  The first hammer fall only drives it down onto the nipple and the second hammer fall will fire the cap.  This may be your problem.

I see this often on the firing line at rendezvous shoots.  Two quick fixes are:  try a larger cap.  Remington caps are a little larger than CCI.  Replace the nipple.  I always have a spare nipple in the patch box.  The damaged nipple can be filed down by rotating it in your drill while filing it.

If that doesn't do the trick try a new tin of caps.  It's possible the caps are damaged but I doubt it.  A weak mainspring would be the last possibility I would suspect.

prarie dog,
I haven't had time to look at the nipple closely yet, but I think you've pointed me in the right direction - a mushroomed nipple. And I like the idea of using the drill to file the nipple down a little.
Thanks
 :bl th up
The trouble with doing things right the first time is no one realizes how hard it was.
Often, however, the following is more applicable.
I stand corrected, a position somewhat painful to achieve, but once there, is quite satisfying.

Posts starting 6/20/20 - 151
Posts ending  9/20/20 - (?)

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2019, 05:22:02 PM »
I replaced the original a while back and I noticed the newer one may be slightly larger in diameter than the original such that the caps don't seem to fit as well.
When it becomes mushroomed from use the cap will not seat all the way down.  The first hammer fall only drives it down onto the nipple and the second hammer fall will fire the cap.

It sounds like this is definitely your problem.  The slightly larger nipple acts the same as if it were mushroomed.  I had the same problem many years ago, which is one reason I shoot flinters!   :laffing :laffing :laffing

And, as Steve said, chuck the nipple in a drill and run it against a piece of sandpaper.  Be sure to check it frequently with a cap to make sure you don't take too much off!  Let us know how you do, inquiring minds need to know.

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2019, 07:20:14 PM »
April Scoreboard has been up dated.  :bl th up