Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Interesting Info On Powder Horns  (Read 559 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Interesting Info On Powder Horns
« on: March 11, 2019, 07:03:03 PM »
I ran across this video on YouTube, and found it pretty interesting. In short, it covers the basic powder horn and safety within the building of one. Check it out... :shake

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
Re: Interesting Info On Powder Horns
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 10:41:59 AM »
Good information.  Thanks for posting that.
Steve Sells

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 12:01:27 PM »
His use of bees wax and wood pegs for the horn base plug does make a lot of sense.

Also, I do agree with him on the usage of "priming horns..." I do use them, though it never occurred to me that the little "priming horn" was actually a "powder horn" for possibly handguns. I never (after 40+ years in this game ever thought of that,,, at least of what I can remember.

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 02:03:42 PM »
His use of bees wax and wood pegs for the horn base plug does make a lot of sense.

Also, I do agree with him on the usage of "priming horns..." I do use them, though it never occurred to me that the little "priming horn" was actually a "powder horn" for possibly handguns. I never (after 40+ years in this game ever thought of that,,, at least of what I can remember.

Yeah,.... I call rubbish on the "pistol powder horn" claim he's making :laffing, IMO,... the smaller powder horns were more likely used/prefered when carrying small caliber rifles.  :bl th up

"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »

Yeah,.... I call rubbish on the "pistol powder horn" claim he's making :laffing, IMO,... the smaller powder horns were more likely used/prefered when carrying small caliber rifles.  :bl th up

And I agree with Rondo as well. I'm pretty flexible about this stuff.  :bl th up

This is kinda one of those topics (small priming horn) that resembles the (ball block) discussion of if they were ever used, and of course now we know they were... I believe Rondo discovered the bags with ball blocks in a post he made not to long ago. I'll also say that I like my little priming horns 'cause I don't make near the mess as I do when I prime from my main horn.  :laffing :shake   

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 04:30:45 PM »
In looking at the size of his "priming horn" example, I'd say it was a bit large for that.  Or a pistol powder horn as well.  Baloney there, too.  A powder horn for a small bore rifle sounds like just the thing.  Or even for a large bore rifle, I would think that if it held enough powder for 4 - 6 shots it would be a plenty.  You are not going out to fight a war, for crying out loud.  In the day, you might have been, but not today.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 10:13:56 PM »
Or even for a large bore rifle, I would think that if it held enough powder for 4 - 6 shots it would be a plenty.  You are not going out to fight a war, for crying out loud.

Nesmuck (George Sears, not OUR Nesmuck) made a trek of over 200 miles and started out with only 6 cartridges for his Billinghurst rifle (muzzleloader of course, 60 balls to the pound).  I think those were his sentiments exactly!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Thunderhawk1828

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: TMA Supporting / Contributing Member #181
  • TMA Member: Expiration date; 11/05/2019
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 12:00:35 AM »
That is Keith Burgess (Australian) and in my opinion he is very knowledgeable and his you tube channel is very good. I would highly recommend him. Believe he has also provided some information / responses on the forum in the past. Check him out - believe you will like him as well.

Thunderhawk 1828
TMA Member #181
NRA Life Member
Renewal Date: 11-5-19

Offline River Runner

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member # 828
  • TMA Member: Membership expiration; 3/15/2020
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:14:06 PM »
I have sat through many discussions on small powder horns.  Around here (central NC) many of the collectors of late flint NC rifles contend that many small horns that we think of as maybe priming horns were "day" horns that were  carried in the shooting bag for local day hunts. This makes sense when you consider that the calibers were small (around .36 plus or minus) and locals didn't range out far on their small game hunting trips. 

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 09:30:37 PM »
I have sat through many discussions on small powder horns.  Around here (central NC) many of the collectors of late flint NC rifles contend that many small horns that we think of as maybe priming horns were "day" horns that were  carried in the shooting bag for local day hunts. This makes sense when you consider that the calibers were small (around .36 plus or minus) and locals didn't range out far on their small game hunting trips.

I fully agree with those thoughts regarding the small powder horns.  :hairy :hairy  :shake
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 02:01:05 PM »
I'm sure "Multi-use" items didn't start with our generation. A small horn would be perfect for both functions.
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 03:03:41 PM »
I'm sure "Multi-use" items didn't start with our generation. A small horn would be perfect for both functions.

Yes, yes it would.  :bl th up

I find myself thinking again... I have several small "priming horns" that's what I use them for, and I think the only reason I use them for that is that I have 4fg powder on hand (bought for that purpose) so what else would I use the 4fg for if not priming?  I'll keep my small horns and use them for that purpose...

I have primed with 3f, 2f, and even 1f powder - just testing it, and it all works as a prime - so maybe when the 4f is all used up, I'll just load and prime from one horn... We'll see.  :shake 

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 04:31:53 PM »
Maybe some 40 years ago, I decided that priming horns seemed just a bit too bulky for my personal taste and I surely did not care for the push type valves on primers that were made by Treso.  So, I came up with the idea to press fit a horn bushing into a 150 grain fixed powder measure and then screw a regular horn valve into that with a 15 grain measure installed.  I felt that was THE answer to the problem. 
A year or so later, Linda and I were displaying at the SHOT Show and I had one of those on the table.  So, one morning, Don Minor and Andy Fautheree (owner and manager of House of Muskets) came walking by and stopped to visit.  Linda and I were chatting with Don about something and Andy was checking out stuff on the table.  All of a sudden, he calls out, "Don, look what they are doing to our products!!!"  So Don looks at the primer and says, "I can make these better than that.  How many do you want?"  I said, "If you can make them markedly better, I will take 100 of them.  When will they be ready?"  And so it went.  I have no idea how many of them I have sold since then, but it has been a bunch.  I think they now have a 135 grain capacity body and a one piece valve/nozzle.  The nozzle holds about 3 grains, so it is pretty right for priming and 4 Fg flows out of the valve like water.  Priced at the factory in Thompson Falls, MT, they are $16.00.  I would guess Fffg would also work in the primer, but Ffg would probably be a little coarse.  It is called the Free Flow Primer.

Over the years, I have used 4Fg, 3Fg, 2Fg and 1Fg in various flinters and they all work pretty good.  I can see using any grade of powder to prime with, and I don't think you really loose much if anything by priming out of the horn as far as ignition time goes.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life