Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Another Harper's Ferry problem pistol.  (Read 1354 times)

Online Nessmuk

• TMA BoD
  • 2019 thru 2023 Postal Match Director
  • TMA Member: TMA Contributing Member
Another Harper's Ferry problem pistol.
« on: April 26, 2019, 10:24:26 AM »
I bought (probably  foolishly ) a  used Harper's  Ferry  pistol on Gunbroker . It's  an unmarked one but my problem is no spark. At all, ever!! I've  tried four different  flints, changed the position  and angle with no luck. I've  read other posts  about the same  problem and it was suggested  to harden the frizzen but how would  I  do  that ?  :Doh!
I'm  not  H/C or P/C or even a particularly  good shot but I have a hell of a good time!

Dedicated to the TMA.
Join us, Friend

Online dmarsh

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Member: Member #798
Re: Another Harper's Ferry problem pistol.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 10:35:01 AM »
Well what I do in a case like this is I remove the lock and send it to Brad Emig at Cabin Creek Muzzleloading and get back a lock that functions.  I don't even try anymore as I just don't have the expertise to fix them or harden the frizzen.  Trial and error can get expensive.  Good luck.    cabincreek.net/

:hairy

Dave

Give them a call or send an email in advance to get an idea of the coast and set up sending it in for a rebuild.
"I won't be wronged.  I won't be insulted.  I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Another Harper's Ferry problem pistol.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 11:39:55 AM »
Well what I do in a case like this is I remove the lock and send it to Brad Emig at Cabin Creek Muzzleloading and get back a lock that functions.  I don't even try anymore as I just don't have the expertise to fix them or harden the frizzen.  Trial and error can get expensive.  Good luck.    cabincreek.net/

:hairy

Dave

Give them a call or send an email in advance to get an idea of the coast and set up sending it in for a rebuild.

This would be a good link to have posted  / maybe in the Muzzleloading Bulilding area.  I didn't know cabin creek did this, not that I need a frizzen hardened, but it's good info to have on hand. Someday, I wouldn't mind trying to harden one.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska