Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: I said I wouldn't...  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
  • Oft muß Mann "zum Teufel damit"
    • reenactor.Net
  • TMA Member: TMA Member #819. Membership expiration 11/24/2022
I said I wouldn't...
« on: May 15, 2019, 10:40:23 PM »
So, up popped an eBay add for a pair of Dyer moccysinns last night. Want my size, but another below it was. Got a decent price, they look good. Gonna see what I can put in 'em to help my diabeettus afflicted feet. Thoughts?
Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Head Village Idiot at www.reenactor.Net and www.romanobritain.org

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
Re: I said I wouldn't...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 06:59:04 AM »
Hey Marsh. Thanks for the post. I also have a pair of new mocs in the mail, and have been wondering the same thing.

I have thought about adding a thick wool insert made of two or more layers of blanket, or even a wool and moose hide liner. Both of those would be fairly HC, and offer a decent amount of protection.

I am also in the process of making a pair of center-seams (from a DGW kit) that I might try to wear inside the mocs I ordered. Mark Baker talks a great deal about wearing more than one pair of mocs at the same time.

Anyway, thanks again for raising  the subject. Hopefully some one out there has some better ideas that will help us both.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 10:25:47 AM »
Well, I'm gona put Dr. Scholls in mine. About 6 months before I retired I started developing heal spurs (they can be very painful for sure. In my regular shoes they work good for the purpose of heal spurs, so I'm hoping the same holds true for the mocs.
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 12:18:02 PM »
A lot of it depends on the size of your feet vs the size of the mocs.  (well, duh).  I think for the best foot insulation, snowmobile boot liners cannot be beat.  A lot of the time, they are too warm for me.
A problem with them slick, slimey moc bottoms is trying to go uphill (or down, for that matter).  You can get set on your setter real quick.
As far as HC/PC with Dyers, I think it would have to be a very narrow minded gathering that would outlaw them.  I have seen them worn at a lot of national events without ever a word being said about them.  Personally, I wear a high top moc for the support it affords my ankle.  Broke it snowmobiling decades ago, but it is still kinda weak and without support, it folds over just like a wet envelope.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 03:31:52 PM »
I can tell you that when wearing Roman sandals (caligae), it's like standing on a frying pan for me (most people really)... When I got my Roman closed shoes (called calcei), I got the Dr. Scholl's where you stand on the machine at the Mart de Wal. Wow! I move them also to my WWI boots too.

We'll.see.what events say. I saw some kinda boot I liked (not hi-lo trekker), but he said half boot... Wouldn't mind that, but hobnailed on bottom (it's a German reenactor thing).
Marsh Wise
Ah likes flintlocks, but any gun is good -- okay, guns that hurt to shoot aren't good.

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 04:31:47 PM »
If your persona would warrant it, a pair of plain toed half Wellington boots would also be proper and appropriate.  Of course, with leather soles nailed on.  The heels would also want to be leather as well.  Caution, it is bad manners to wear them to your grandmother's home with the nice hardwood floors.  However, they would probably not be appropriate with leggins and a breechclout or buckskin pants.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Online Two Steps

• TMA Charter Member
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member #47 Expires 3/22/23
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 04:52:42 PM »
bigsmoke explained:
A problem with them slick, slimey moc bottoms is trying to go uphill (or down, for that matter).  You can get set on your setter real quick.
Exactly how I got the camp name Two Steps...One step up a hill in NM. and ....and...slide Two Steps back down!  Took a looong time to get to that next shooting position  :Doh!
Two Steps/Al Bateman
I envy no man that knows more than myself,
and pity them that know less.  (Sir T. Brown)

TMA Charter Member 47

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 04:53:15 PM »
My grandma is dead. Wellies are rubber...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Marsh Wise

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 05:01:05 PM »
Hey Marsh. Ya got me intrigued...How many different time periods do you cover? Are you a living history exhibit...? :lol sign I cannot even get one close to covered, and the thought of doing two or three, just makes me plum jealous...My hat's off to ya!  :hairy
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 05:44:23 PM »
Hey Marsh. Ya got me intrigued...How many different time periods do you cover? Are you a living history exhibit...? sign I cannot even get one close to covered, and the thought of doing two or three, just makes me plum jealous...My hat's off to ya!  :hairy
Not that many. Ya get tired. And I hate most public events...

WW2 got weird, so I stopped. Used to be cool people. Them was shinin' times. Nowadays, just too politically correct and not fun.

WWI... I've been doing it since fall of 1990. I'm a unit co <www.ir23.org> and also the secretary of the Great War Association... Originally, I was going to retire last fall at the end of the centennial, but I gave my word that I'd stay until the end of my term. This fall is it. I've done my duty for Kaiser and country. :-P

Ancient Rome... I've been doing that since like 2003. Started in Cali, when I moved back here, we started up Legio IX. We have training event in June. We will be at the Virginia Highland Games too, but we really don't do much public stuff. I still don't have that kit 100%, but do you ever? I live Roman stuff -- it's so long ago, it truly is experimental archaeology.

My big Roman site <www.RomanoBritain.org> has loads of ancient recipes, if which I recently got almost all the citations done for, along with Latin and translations of, for many.

All kinds of stuff there. Medicine, military, society, inventions. It's at about 500 long pages. Works well on your cell phone too. I'll stop now. :-P

I also own reenactor.Net which is about to get a major update. It's been too long. That covers everything. Wanna help out? I'm such a recruiter.
Marsh Wise

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 10:57:13 PM »

Hey Marsh. Thanks for the post. I also have a pair of new mocs in the mail, and have been wondering the same thing.

I have thought about adding a thick wool insert made of two or more layers of blanket, or even a wool and moose hide liner. Both of those would be fairly HC, and offer a decent amount of protection.

Anyway, thanks again for raising  the subject. Hopefully some one out there has some better ideas that will help us both.

What about these liners: <https://www.townsends.us/collections/shoes-shoe-buckles-stockings/products/natural-fleece-shoe-liners-fl-978>

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Marsh Wise

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 09:29:13 AM »
Hey Marsh...Thanks for the link. As often as I am on that site I had never seen the sheepskin liners. I think I am going to get a pair just to check them out. The liners don't have many reviews but the few they have are all highly positive. Once I get them I will let you know what I think.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 09:46:51 AM »
That would be great
Marsh Wise

Offline Flinchlock

• TMA Forum Member
    • reenactor.Net
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 11:03:30 PM »
Okay, they came. Fit, good shape. No liner. Need to be oiled, not going to rush.  Anyway, thought I'd share that. They are the rendezvous model (waugh... says I in my most mundane voice). Any thoughts? Advice?
Marsh Wise

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 06:30:43 AM »
Grats, Marsh! I'm jealous...mine have yet to arrive. You should post some pics of you in the new mocs.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan