Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: A Little Hawk & Arrow Fun Today  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
A Little Hawk & Arrow Fun Today
« on: May 26, 2019, 07:30:04 PM »

Lucas had the best archery shot today - touching the "X" Ring... Then this afternoon he decided to throw his hawks (he has two), and I shot some more archery while he was hawk throwing.

He suggested that every time he stuck his hawks back to back - I had to hit the "Yellow" with two of my arrows back to back... So, this brings us to the next picture below.

Lucas stuck both hawks in the block - so I had to hit the yellow twice from 15 yards. My first shot is the north yellow hole - and my second shot was the south yellow hole...

Then,,, Lucas once again stuck both his hawks back to back in the block - so once again I had to try and shoot the yellow twice, (if I could)... I would have never guessed this happened until we went down to get the two arrows out of the yellow. I hit in the exact same north and south hole's - just like the first time.

Now I knew I hit yellow both times from 15 yards the second time, but I would have never expected to walk down and find both arrows in the same first two holes (North & South) that I put in the yellow...

I doubt it'll ever happen again - but at least Lucas was my witness. (They truly went in the same holes - I'm not that good) - but sometimes I get lucky with a bare bow longbow.   :shake

(Side Note; The 3 o'clock yellow hole was from earlier this morning when Lucas and I were shooting archery. 

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
Re: A Little Hawk & Arrow Fun Today
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 08:13:35 PM »
COOL!  :hairy :applaud
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 03:47:35 AM »
How is Lucas doing with his Bow shooting?
Can he draw and hold that little 40# of yours?

Seems funny to me, but my Grandson who is now 26, could beat the socks off me back when he was a teenager, on our 35 yd course using his own self bow. He beat me a good 60 / 70% of the time.

When he was here visiting this last year we shot a little bit at 25 "good paces" in the back yard, and I was tearing him up for a change....he just couldn't seem to get it together.  Claimed he hadn't been shooting for years, the bow he was using "felt funny", yadda, yadda, and on, and on, so I told him to bag it, we'd just go fishing, which we did...
I swear, the older the boy gets the more excuses he comes up with... If he was wasn't so dadburn big, I'd kick his butt and straighten him out....lol
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 05:56:56 AM »
To be quite honest Russ, I'm not sure how many pounds Lucas is capable of pulling these days, he seem to like #22 lbs and lite arrows. That might be something we'll work on while he's here spending some time with grandma & me this summer. Here and at Rendezvous is the only two places he shoots bow & arrow, though as I understand it over at the AF Base in Cheyenne where our daughter now works - he's enrolled in a "Summer Camp" there that will start in June - and archery is part of it.

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 08:18:54 AM »
Russ, I got to thinking and I'm a guessing this archery just like shooting firearms. fishing, biking, boating, hawk throwing, and so on, is an addiction of enjoyment and we seem to excel in those sports & hobbies that give us the most enjoyment. In Lucas' case, I feel he enjoys throwing hawk and going fishing from the boat more then archery or shooting... Which is good. Now I'm not saying once we get out to the Range with the muzzle loaders or .22's - that his interest wanes - as it don't. He does enjoy these things. I will say however, I think his first "sports" love is fishing. and I think that's great.  :hairy