Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: The Birthday Present & A Trip Down Memory Lane  (Read 924 times)

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
The Birthday Present & A Trip Down Memory Lane
« on: July 31, 2019, 09:42:20 PM »
I reached my 68th birthday on July 12th.  Truth is that I was told I probably wouldn't make it this far.  Twelve years ago some doctors told me that they had nothing to offer in the way of treatment and that people with my form of cancer averaged 7-10 years survival.  I managed to last long enough for them to come up with two drugs that, while they won't kill the cancer, slow it way down. 

So I was still here and browsing through online gun auctions a couple of weeks back when I came across something that caught my eye.  There are a number of things for which I'm a sucker.  Some of them have to do with flintlock rifles.  My father started building muzzleloaders in the 1950's.  Needless to say, this was before you could go to the store and buy a ready-made rifle or a kit.  It was even before everybody had to have a "Hawken".  A .45 caliber was a big-bore and considered adequate for any game east of Dallas.  Serious builders were on a first name basis with Turner Kirkland.  My first rifle was built on the pattern of Jacob Dickert and was in .40 caliber.  I took my first deer with it at the ripe age of 8.

So back to the up-for-auction rifle.  First thing that caught my eye - lefty.  Second - Tiger striped maple stock.  LOT'S of striping!  Third - .45 caliber.  Lancaster School.  Long and slender.  Fourth - some well executed line engraving/carving. 

Adding to the intrigue was the patch box lid being engraved with "Nemo Me Impune Lacassit".  I had to look that up.  Turns out it was the motto of the Scottish Royal family, the Stuarts, from at least 1578 and remains the motto of the Order of the Thistle and a military regiment today.  An exact translation is difficult but basically means "You will not attack me with impunity".

The seller told me the lock was a Siler and that the barrel had no markings.  Everything was in good shape except that the stock has a ding on the bottom of the butt.  There was a photo of that.  Looked like something I could at least lessen.  Turns out the seller wasn't exactly telling the truth about the lock and barrel.

I bid the starting bid amount without expecting to win.  I won.  About a week later a package arrived with one of the best packing jobs I've ever seen.  It took me about a half hour to cut and peel my way through the first and second box then all the bubble wrap.  Despite my best efforts I decorated the kitchen floor with a fair number of styrofoam peanuts.  Finally, I had her free and she was if anything more beautiful than I expected.  Examining from muzzle to buttplate, I almost got the feeling I was holding one of my dad's rifles from 50+ years ago.  I closed my eyes, shouldered the rifle, opened my eyes and I was looking directly over the sights.  I noticed that the sights are what was called "fine" back in the day.  Narrow and low.  Not ideal for old eyes.  I can fix that.

The face of the frizzen had a coat of rust that I removed with oil and fine sandpaper.  Once clean the frizzen bore no scrapes from being struck by a flint.  Is this gun unfired?  I rooted around and discovered that I have a dozen or so flints of the right size.  A few minutes later I learned that the lock throws a beautiful shower of sparks.

How was the bore?  I ran an oily patch down and back out.  No rust.  My micrometer calipers indicated the bore was exactly .450".  Twist is 1:66".

A few days later I removed the lock.  Visible on the back of the lockplate was RUSS with more letters obscured by the sear lever.  Now I don't usually disassemble a lock unless it needs work but my curiousity was killing me.  I've never seen a Siler lock with RUSS stamped on it.  So I removed the sear spring and sear.  The stamping read RUSS HAMM.  So I have a Russ Hamm lock and a left-handed one at that.

Might as well remove the barrel.  I wanted to be sure the underside wasn't rusted and the barrel channel in the stock was either oiled or waxed.  Time for the second surprise of the day.  That "unmarked" barrel was clearly marked "G.R. Douglas   .45".  To the left was "J.M. Chandler", almost certainly the name of the maker.  NOTE: I can't find a reference to a gunsmith by that name.  If any of you have this information I would greatly appreciate you passing it on to me.

So that's the story of my birthday surprise.  I haven't taken her to the range yet but that's in my plans for the next week.  If she shoots as good as she looks....
John
 [ Invalid Attachment ]    [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:15:41 PM by Stormrider51 »
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: The Birthday Present & A Trip Down Memory Lane
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 11:03:05 PM »
I'd say that's a pretty darn good birthday present Stormrider51. All the way 'round!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Spotted Bull

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 11:09:30 PM »
The American Longrifle Association forum has a LOT of knowledgeable folks on fun maker history, and reference materials as well. You might give them a try for maker info.

Beautiful present too. Happy birthday!

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 07:54:34 AM »
Happy Birthday, young feller. Glad you are still with us and congratulations on your fine birthday present. 

Are you still on Canyon Lake?

TC
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th

Offline Stormrider51

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Contributing Member.
  • TMA Member: Membership #632 Expiration date, 02/05/2020
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 10:30:45 AM »
Happy Birthday, young feller. Glad you are still with us and congratulations on your fine birthday present. 

Are you still on Canyon Lake?

TC

Hello Tom!  Good to hear from you.  Yep, still at the lake.  Coming up on 4 years.  You wouldn't believe the number of deer out here, white tail and axis.  Of course, I can't shoot one because I live in a subdivision.  Drives me crazy.

How are you doing?
John
Life is an adventure.  Don't miss it.
Member #632

Offline Rocklock

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 02:54:27 PM »
Continued via email.
Ain't nothin' hard if ya have the right equipment AND know how to use it.  :lt th