Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: 325 Yard Patched Roundball in Wind (Lyman GP .54 Cal)  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
325 Yard Patched Roundball in Wind (Lyman GP .54 Cal)
« on: September 21, 2019, 08:05:05 AM »
I couldn’t resist, had to play at longer distance with the Lyman GP .54 Cal Patched Ball, Lubed with GENUINE SKUNK tallow, SUPER SKUNK that is  :), Target is my LARGE 20” Steel Plate, 1/2” Thick AR500, This Thing is HEAVY, like 60 pounds, I stil kick myself for not getting the 3/8” AR500, oh well. Needless to say, The 230 Grain .535 ball is NOT gonna Swing this Big heavy plate. But you can hear the Hits. I pack this CHUNK of Steel up the Hill and get setup, the Winds Starts in, What's a Guy to do? SEND EM!!  :bl th up

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
Re: 325 Yard Patched Roundball in Wind (Lyman GP .54 Cal)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 08:11:37 AM »
On to 500 Yards, I Need a DEAD CALM Morning for it. I am determined to find where the Ball say’s i Quit  :) This 230 Grain .535 Diameter Ball from my .54 would stil be LETHAL at 325 Yards from what i seen. No one should EVER attempt such a thing on Game Though!!! But if i were in a Fire Fight up there this evening at 325 Yards, i would have Shot my way out of it and made it home  :bl th up

When i left it was PERFECTLY Calm, And it Stayed that way til i packed that 60 Pound Chunk of Steel up the Hill and Hung it on the Stand. On my way back down to my Truck the Wind Started Blowing, GO FIGURE  ::) I hoped it would Stop, NOPE it kept getting Worse. It takes a LOT of Work to Set this stuff up, Then Have to leave without Firing a Shot (I’ve had to do that several times) I decided to Throw Caution to the Wind  And GO WITH IT. I fired at the Calmest points i could Feel

After the 2 Shots on Steel, the Wind Became unbearably bad, i Started Packing my stuff up, the Wind was blowing my Things off the Tailgate of my Truck. My gun was loaded, The Wind was Back n Forth, I decided to unload my Gun, i Took another Pop Shot at my Target (Off Camera, it was put away in my Truck) I missed, I didn’t hear the Gong Come back? I get up the Hill and Start Taking my Target Down, That is when I Seen this

3rd shot off Camera, Hit High (BAD WIND) Hit my 2X4 Hanger

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown

Online rollingb

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder
  • TMA: Founder
  • TMA Member: TMA Charter Member#6
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 09:12:57 AM »
Great video and some fine shootin'.  :hairy :applaud
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"
For only $1.25 per-month, you too can help preserve our traditional muzzleloading heritage.
TMA Founder
TMA Charter Member #6

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 03:21:09 PM »
I agree, great video! Stay with it - I'm interested in your results.  :hairy

In one of my many books there's a short mention of the Army giving an actual Hawken Rifle the "Oak" penetration test from 400 yards, and if I recall it passed muster on that - but I don't recall which book I read it in... I do recall it being back in the neighborhood of the mid 1800's...

I think you'll be able to tweak that ball in, and by that I'm thinking at the ranges you're shooting from - if you get 12 to 16 inch groups or even 12 to 18 inch - that ain't bad at all for a patched ball... I don't think they'll be consistent groupings - even on a calm day. The ballistics just ain't in your favor, but please continue on and let us know how it goes.

Good test, I really like it!!!   :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Idaholewis

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »
I don’t think it will be that Difficult for me to get on Target at 500 Yards with this Setup? After seeing what This .535 Ball stil had on it at 325 Yards, it will get to 500 no problem. Accuracy is my Concern. I am shooting this same Gong at 600 Yards with 1 of my TC Renegades and Long Lead  :) (That’s On Video as well  :bl th up)

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 09:43:21 AM »
I don’t think it will be that Difficult for me to get on Target at 500 Yards with this Setup? After seeing what This .535 Ball stil had on it at 325 Yards, it will get to 500 no problem. Accuracy is my Concern. I am shooting this same Gong at 600 Yards with 1 of my TC Renegades and Long Lead  :) (That’s On Video as well  :bl th up)

Looking forward to seeing that video!  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska