Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > General Interest

Paper Patching for Muzzleloading Rifles

(1/4) > >>

Idaholewis:
Here is A video i did on Paper Patching bullets for Muzzleloading Rifles. If anyone is interested in trying this I would be glad to help you out. This is what actually got me Hooked on Muzzleloaders in the Beginning, i have a lot of Experience in this area, as i have been doing it non stop from my Beginning  :bl th up This stuff is EASY, and a Lot of Fun to do! So far i have not seen a Rifle that would not Shoot a Paper Patch Load, Most shoot them EXCEPTIONALLY Well

Idaholewis:
Sorry in advance Guy’s, It easy to get Flubbered up and Ramble, Repeat myself in these darn videos, I know what i need/want to say but i catch myself wandering in to something else. I would be much better off to Write down things i need to say and check them off after i get done, otherwise I forget if i covered it or not? If anyone is interested in Paper Patching for their Rifle/Rifles i would be more than happy to answer any questions, And help get you going on the right track  :bl th up

This Video explains how I adjust Bullet fit

Idaholewis:
Paper Patching for these Muzzleloaders is truly a LOT of Fun to do, Every aspect of it! Again, Paper Patching is what peaked my interest in these Old Muzzleloaders in my very beginning, and where most of my Knowledge is. I was like a Sponge soaking up all of the info i could on this stuff, Then a LOT of time on the Range Testing Different things, I have Sent a TON of lead down range with Paper attached to it  :bl th up It all started to come together for me, at this point i feel i have it down as good as I possibly can get it. I love shooting these Patched bullets, More so from a Bench on Targets, But i have Many Good SOLID hunting loads for them as well

Idaholewis:
This is a Paper Patched bullet “Bump Test” Video i did to show what it takes to get the bullet to slide off the Powder Charge. This is not to Detour you from Trying Paper Patch, Just to Show the importance of Bullet fit. This is PRECISELY why i made Video number 2 above to show how to adjust Bullet fit.

This would also applies to Pure Soft lead Bullets like the Maxi Ball, Lee R.E.A.L. Lyman Plains etc. Even with the Oversize Front Driving bands. In certain barrels, Upon Loading about 3/4 of the Way down the Bullet Driving Band “Gives up” and the Bullet has VERY little Holding Resistance left. I worked diligently on a Solution to this for my Grease Groove Bullets, Here is what i came up with To combat this problem, i bumped up the Lead Hardness just a Little, and that worked like a Dream! I can tinker with Lead Hardness just a Little and adjust Bullet fit per Bore, I can make them load Easier, or Tighter by adjusting Lead Hardness

Again, this is NOT to Scare ya, just Educate on the importance of Bullet Fit, especially if you plan to Hunt with Paper Patch, In a controlled environment such as Target/Bench Shooting i prefer a Looser Fitting Bullet, i want that Bullet to just “Kiss” the Rifling on the Way down (Tip to me from 2 time World Champion, Lee Shaver’s  :bl th up) 

Idaholewis:
Here is another method that i came up with to tighten up a PP Bullet for HUNTING ONLY, I did this about a Year ago. I tested the cold bore Shot loaded like this for Several days in a Row, accuracy was not effected in the least, My Cold bore shots Hit right where they supposed to when Loaded this way. With paper measuring 0.002 single, this ads 0.004 to the Bullet, if you load your Cold bore shot like this it will NOT budge until you Pull the Trigger!  :bl th up

I filled my tag with method above, about a Whole Hour in to Doe Tag  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version