Shooting Traditional Firearms and Weapons > Trail Walks and Trekking

Favorite Trekking Meal

(1/5) > >>

Oldetexian:
Puffer's recent post 'bout his pork loin, tators & onions got me thinking about all the good vittles I have had while trekking or at events. Out of all of those great eats my favorite has not changed.

My favorite camp meal is sliced venison tenderloin fried up with plenty of onions and served with some fried potatoes. A cup of good hot coffee sends it over the top. Dessert is a second cup of coffee generously laced with brandy. It is my "go to" meal of choice if I am hunting and only going out for a night or two. In fact I always have some tenderloin in the freezer that is reserved for that purpose.

I would love to hear what you guy choose for your favorite trail meal. I just bet I can find out sumthing I will have to try.

Einsiedler:
I used to take a whole deer ham and hang it over a fire from a wood tripod. Then you take your belt knife and cut you off a slice. We’d all eat all way down to the raw part. Wait a little while and start over! 

Shining times.

Now all I can handle is a hunk of elk on a stick. Still purty tasty! 

Old son cures his own bacon. He’ll throw a big hunk of it on a grill and when done, we’ll cut us off a big, artery cloggin’ hunk!  Now thats high on the hog! 

Puffer:
I am surprised that no one HAS posted my (my families) favorite meal (during this time of year.)

FRIED VENISON LIVER (& Heart), BACON, ONIONS with FRIED TATERS !!!

Oldetexian:
That deer ham idea sound purty dang good, and I would luv to have a hunk of elk right 'bout now, but got to admit that I started drooling on myself when I saw Puffer's post 'bout the Venison Liver...

I love calf liver & onions...but I have never had Venison Liver...I want that recipe. It's got to be good. Please share what you do to prepare the liver. I know I have been missing out on same fine eating...

Winter Hawk:
Nothing better than fresh venison liver! :toast

Although heart and tongue come close.  And many years ago I stumbled into a sheep hunter's camp after dark (I was helping bring horses to a guide's cabin with his assistant guide) who shared the back strap off a sheep he had shot that day.  Oh, GLORIOUS!!! So I guess I should qualify my statement and say that there is better out there, but it doesn't come easy!  :laffing

~Kees~

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version