Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Favorite Trekking Meal  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
Favorite Trekking Meal
« on: October 16, 2019, 09:37:53 AM »
Puffer's recent post 'bout his pork loin, tators & onions got me thinking about all the good vittles I have had while trekking or at events. Out of all of those great eats my favorite has not changed.

My favorite camp meal is sliced venison tenderloin fried up with plenty of onions and served with some fried potatoes. A cup of good hot coffee sends it over the top. Dessert is a second cup of coffee generously laced with brandy. It is my "go to" meal of choice if I am hunting and only going out for a night or two. In fact I always have some tenderloin in the freezer that is reserved for that purpose.

I would love to hear what you guy choose for your favorite trail meal. I just bet I can find out sumthing I will have to try.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Einsiedler

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Favorite Trekking Meal
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 05:05:27 PM »
I used to take a whole deer ham and hang it over a fire from a wood tripod. Then you take your belt knife and cut you off a slice. We’d all eat all way down to the raw part. Wait a little while and start over! 

Shining times.

Now all I can handle is a hunk of elk on a stick. Still purty tasty! 

Old son cures his own bacon. He’ll throw a big hunk of it on a grill and when done, we’ll cut us off a big, artery cloggin’ hunk!  Now thats high on the hog! 

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 01:40:00 PM »
I am surprised that no one HAS posted my (my families) favorite meal (during this time of year.)

FRIED VENISON LIVER (& Heart), BACON, ONIONS with FRIED TATERS !!!
TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 06:09:31 PM »
That deer ham idea sound purty dang good, and I would luv to have a hunk of elk right 'bout now, but got to admit that I started drooling on myself when I saw Puffer's post 'bout the Venison Liver...

I love calf liver & onions...but I have never had Venison Liver...I want that recipe. It's got to be good. Please share what you do to prepare the liver. I know I have been missing out on same fine eating...
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 08:46:52 PM »
Nothing better than fresh venison liver! :toast

Although heart and tongue come close.  And many years ago I stumbled into a sheep hunter's camp after dark (I was helping bring horses to a guide's cabin with his assistant guide) who shared the back strap off a sheep he had shot that day.  Oh, GLORIOUS!!! So I guess I should qualify my statement and say that there is better out there, but it doesn't come easy!  :laffing

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 08:50:12 PM »
That deer ham idea sound purty dang good, and I would luv to have a hunk of elk right 'bout now, but got to admit that I started drooling on myself when I saw Puffer's post 'bout the Venison Liver...

I love calf liver & onions...but I have never had Venison Liver...I want that recipe. It's got to be good. Please share what you do to prepare the liver. I know I have been missing out on same fine eating...

Even better that that is Elk Heart! sliced about 1/4" thick, season with what ever your favorite steak type seasoning is, (mines Johnnys Hunters Blend) then pan fried in butter & onions in a hot skillet, about 2 mins per side, thats it! don't want to over cook it and make it tough!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Einsiedler

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 08:37:13 AM »
We have a fine old gent up around the Colorado ranch who helps us occassionally with things and keeps a good clear eye on stuff for us. All he requests is our elk heart and livers. We gladly share them with him!  He’s a great neighbor

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 05:56:35 PM »
Beaverthang seez.... "
Even better that that is Elk Heart! sliced about 1/4" thick, season with what ever your favorite steak type seasoning is, (mines Johnnys Hunters Blend) then pan fried in butter & onions in a hot skillet, about 2 mins per side, thats it! don't want to over cook it and make it tough! "

And this old bird has to agree with him!
My wife and I love Liver & Onions fried up while in Elk Camp.
It simply don't get "no mo betta" than that right there.
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 11:25:19 AM »
Beaverthang seez.... "
Even better that that is Elk Heart! sliced about 1/4" thick, season with what ever your favorite steak type seasoning is, (mines Johnnys Hunters Blend) then pan fried in butter & onions in a hot skillet, about 2 mins per side, thats it! don't want to over cook it and make it tough! "

And this old bird has to agree with him!
My wife and I love Liver & Onions fried up while in Elk Camp.
It simply don't get "no mo betta" than that right there.

:bl th up :bl th up :bl th up Elk liver and onions would be my 2nd choice for dinner then some back strap and eggs the next morning for breakfast!, now thats' some fine chewing!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 11:15:21 PM »
I reckon I'd have to nominate buffalo.  Never been much for organs so I'd have to be thinking a steak or a roast.  Sauteed onions and mushrooms, and a passel of spuds.  Coffee?  Of course and a second cup ala Oldetexian.  Probably would have had a snort of the brandy before dinner as well.  And some nice red wine with dinner.
Dammit, I just ate and now I am getting hungry all over again. :luff:
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 11:30:58 AM »
Trekking as a hobby is something I've never really done, and the closest I've ever came to this would be my muzzleloading deer season I hunt. In a way (for me) that's my trekking activity 'cause I spend a lot of time scouting area's that look promising - so I'm what one might call a "day trekker" - and as such I rely on jerky, and yes not period correct "trail mix"

Now I do take water with me and fixin's to make a fire - and few other modern day things such as the "space blanket" in case something should happen where I would get stranded or hurt - but I certainly do see the value of extending my pack to more "over night" outing items  - just to be further prepared for the unimaginable should it ever happen...

There is certainly some very good information here to be had.  :hairy
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 04:16:35 PM »
A dream hunt for me would be to do a multi-day period Elk Hunt with my Jaeger flinter. So far, it remains firmly in my bucket list. "When" it happens you guy have convinced me that my first meal after I put one on the ground has to be liver and onions."

I am also going to make sure that the liver and heart of any deer I get this season will be saved for the skillet as well.
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 06:53:27 PM »
A dream hunt for me would be to do a multi-day period Elk Hunt with my Jaeger flinter. So far, it remains firmly in my bucket list. "When" it happens you guy have convinced me that my first meal after I put one on the ground has to be liver and onions."

I am also going to make sure that the liver and heart of any deer I get this season will be saved for the skillet as well.
I "always" cary three 1 gallon zip-lock freezer bags in my pack dedicated to this purpose....keeping those two items nice and clean is all a part of the field dressing.
Keep in mind that the average Elk Liver is huge!

In two days I will be in Albuquerque, NM, and likely Taos come Monday morning. I don't have a tag, but both my sons do and they are chomping at the bit for the old man to get there.
Hope this old man is up to the altitude change, 8,500' near Wheeler Mtn. Base......over 9,000' at peak...we'll see!
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 08:25:26 PM »

I "always" cary three 1 gallon zip-lock freezer bags in my pack dedicated to this purpose....keeping those two items nice and clean is all a part of the field dressing.
Keep in mind that the average Elk Liver is huge!

In two days I will be in Albuquerque, NM, and likely Taos come Monday morning. I don't have a tag, but both my sons do and they are chomping at the bit for the old man to get there.
Hope this old man is up to the altitude change, 8,500' near Wheeler Mtn. Base......over 9,000' at peak...we'll see!

Remember Unc, slow and steady wins the race!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

Online BEAVERMAN

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 08:27:58 PM »

If your looking for a multi day Elk hunt, we have a 16 day ML Elk season here on the west side of Wa state, coincides with a 3 week Deer season (Deer runs a week longer), some units are antlerless elk or 3 point and bigger bull, and any deer!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA