Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Favorite Trekking Meal  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
Re: Favorite Trekking Meal
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 02:58:14 PM »
If your looking for a multi day Elk hunt, we have a 16 day ML Elk season here on the west side of Wa state, coincides with a 3 week Deer season (Deer runs a week longer), some units are antlerless elk or 3 point and bigger bull, and any deer!
[/quote]

WOW! That sounds great, Jim. even better in fact than the hunt Uncle Russ has coming up... the season in your part of WA probably isn't at 8500 feet...I would need a helicopter to hunt at that altitude... :lol sign

But Russ is right on about the ziplock freezer bags...I had already thought about putting a couple in my haversack. It's always good to be prepared :hairy...
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Puffer

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: Charter Member #133
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 05:22:30 PM »
That deer ham idea sound purty dang good, and I would luv to have a hunk of elk right 'bout now, but got to admit that I started drooling on myself when I saw Puffer's post 'bout the Venison Liver...

I love calf liver & onions...but I have never had Venison Liver...I want that recipe. It's got to be good. Please share what you do to prepare the liver. I know I have been missing out on same fine eating...

It is easy = Wash the liver in cold water. Drop it into a bucket of cold H2O. 2 - 3 hr.s - squeeze the liver (over the old water ) & change the water in the bucket with fresh.Repeat util bed. Morning take the Liver, squeeze it, dry it & cook !!! (note we did note soak it in milk (think no elec.) nor did we "flour it.

TMA CHARTER MEMBER # 133
THE TMA NEEDS YOU ___ JOIN TODAY
(THE BEST $15.00 I EVER SPENT )
**Cascade Mtn. Men

Expires = 12/24/24

War Eagle Society
NRA -  Range Safety Officer,

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 06:09:42 PM »
If your looking for a multi day Elk hunt, we have a 16 day ML Elk season here on the west side of Wa state, coincides with a 3 week Deer season (Deer runs a week longer), some units are antlerless elk or 3 point and bigger bull, and any deer!

WOW! That sounds great, Jim. even better in fact than the hunt Uncle Russ has coming up... the season in your part of WA probably isn't at 8500 feet...I would need a helicopter to hunt at that altitude... :lol sign

But Russ is right on about the ziplock freezer bags...I had already thought about putting a couple in my haversack. It's always good to be prepared :hairy...
[/quote]

No not at all! most of these units are west of I-5  sea level to maybe 1000 feet, most are in Werehauser or other company tree farms and there are a crap load of logging roads running through them! there are also units in the national forests and state DNR land plenty of low level hunting ground here! Now if you hunt the west slope of the Main Cascade range of the east slope, better be a frickin iron man to hunt on foot or own horses!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Online Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2019, 05:37:03 AM »
 Beaverman Seez......"No not at all! most of these units are west of I-5  sea level to maybe 1000 feet, most are in Werehauser or other company tree farms and there are a crap load of logging roads running through them! there are also units in the national forests and state DNR land plenty of low level hunting ground here! Now if you hunt the west slope of the Main Cascade range of the east slope, better be a frickin iron man to hunt on foot or own horses!"

Well let me tell ya a story, He ain't wrong when it comes to the Cascade Slopes. East or West.
Bad Mo-Joe when it comes to Elk Hunting. Everything is straight up or straight down!

I've taken roughly seven (7) Elk out of the Oak Creek, Bethel, and Bumping areas over the years.
For a couple of years we went in just below Rim Rock Lake, offf HWY 12, turned up the Rattlesnake, and went all the way in to the wilderness area. I'm sure Beaverman knows the area well.....
On year I took a nice young Cow off the south-fork of the Rattlesnake not far from Whistling Jacks...back then we all carried Topo and Forest Service Maps.
A quick look at the Maps indicated we were less than 1/4 mile to pack this thing out onto a paved Road that went straight to Whistling Jacks...One guy went back to the truck and drove it around to Naches, up to the Whistling Jack Bridge, across the Naches River, I believe that's Hwy 410....he drove roughly 40 miles from where had left the truck that morning, and while he was doing all that driving, we broke the Elk down into quarters, hanging the skin because we wanted that on the second trip in to donate to Yakama VFW, or the Boy Scouts., and we packed everything downhill to the river on pack frames.
Packing downhill may sound good, but I honestly think I would prefer to pack up-hill.
When breaking the Elk down, We never did recover the ball, but the Butcher in Selah, WA found it, it was in the right rear quarter.
. 54 cal Round ball, 90 gr of Goex FFFg, hit the front brisket a bit to the left and high but angling a bit, that ball  traveled the length of that Elk and broke the right rear leg bone before coming to rest. 
Heart, Lungs, Liver, Pauch, everything was very little short pure mush...made for a very ugly, stinky, job in trying to protect that meat, but we managed to get her out and save almost all the meat.
The Four Quarters hanging was, IIRC, 288#.
Based on the old rule of 33 to 35% meat hanging, she was roughly 875# live, on the hoof....it's akin to trying to get a dead horse out of the woods!
Fortunately for us there was five in the hunting party, albeit one hunter turned out to be a truck driver...but he got his share of the meat too. 
That Elk was actually an easy Elk to bring out, as we've shot some over on Bumping Bethel beforee getting to Naches that took us three solid days to get out!
My wife Jan and I got one down in Hoover Canyon, had to walk out, get the truck and go into Neaches and get an outfitter with the 3 Mules to come in and get him out, and he was barely legal, with brow tines, and a fork on the right side....the Game check station said he was big for a 3 year old, but we never got him weighed.
The outfitter took him on home and did the skinning, butchering, and called us 3 weeks later in Shelton, WA to come back over and get him as he was all packaged up, freezer ready.

Yes Sir, Elk hunting in WA State, on either side of the Cascades, ain't for sissies!
It separates the Men from the Boys the instant the shot is fired, because that's when the real work begins!
All the glory of the hunt is now totally out the window....it's time to get sweaty, stinky, and dirty, and pray your back holds out for one more trip back in, all while you hope like everything that your pack frame remains in one stable piece....me and my wife both have "Kelty Frames", she can longer pack due to her health but I still take both frames with me.
It takes two men to get a quarter of Elk, properly secured on a pack frame, then get you up on your feet ready to move and pack it out....
I know. I have tied a quarter on, laid down to get the frame on on properly, and couldn't for the life of me get back up on my feet. But once I'm up, depending on the terrain, I'm good for a good 30 to 45 minutes....then I have to find something to back up against for a short break, while still standing.

Yes Jim, I think OldeTexian should come pay us a visit during Elk Season!
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2019, 08:57:24 AM »
WOW!  :bow :bow :bow

That puts everything in a totally new perspective. I actually had trouble getting my last deer dressed and dragged up the hill to where my jeep was parked. There's no way I could begin to handle an elk...even with friends...

Russ, your description is almost too vivid to believe. My hat is off to you elk hunters. That just might be one of those bucket list items that will have to stay in my bucket...that is unless I can enlist a wagon train to accompany me,,,

Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 12:49:37 PM »
WOW!  :bow :bow :bow

That puts everything in a totally new perspective. I actually had trouble getting my last deer dressed and dragged up the hill to where my jeep was parked. There's no way I could begin to handle an elk...even with friends...

Russ, your description is almost too vivid to believe. My hat is off to you elk hunters. That just might be one of those bucket list items that will have to stay in my bucket...that is unless I can enlist a wagon train to accompany me,,,

I still have access to horses for packing the critter out, like I said depends on which unit you hunt weather you'll need them or not so....... load up that old mule next year and head west!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2019, 11:33:24 AM »
 :hairy :hairy :hairy Sounds good to me! As some of my friends like to say, from your lips to God's ears! Just getting to meet ya would be worth the trip! :*:
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 10:37:40 PM »
If you can bone it out, that saves a lot of weight to carry.  When i was in Alaska I learned to carry some 2 gallon ziplok bags with me.  I didn't get elk but the deer were boned out, the meat dunked in a creek or muskeg pond to cool off and then packed in the plastic bags.  That sure made packing it out a lot easier!  My Sweetie would fix the liver when I got home; good eating there!

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »
 :hairy :hairy :hairy
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

Ray Buchanan

Offline Ohio Rusty

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2022, 10:38:09 PM »
This week I just finished up a meal of deer heart. This is one of the best pieces of meat in a deer. Tender and succulent. I soaked it well to get rid of any blood, then fried it up in a skillet with some butter and seasonings and had several good meals from that heart. I wish I had another one .... YUM !!
Ohio Rusty ><>