Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Flash hole location  (Read 2281 times)

Offline waksupi

• TMA Forum Member
Re: Flash hole location
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 04:12:01 PM »
I have fixed that problem in the past by finding some matching wood, and fitting it closely to the lock inlet. Then place lock as needed. If you match the wood well, it pretty much disappears, and no one will see it if you don't point it out. This is the problem with pre-inlet kits. The manufacturers would do the builders a favor by not inletting the lock plate. 

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
Re: Flash hole location
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2020, 10:41:26 PM »
I realize this topic is close or better then 6 months old, but I would like to mention that I have shot my flintlock build with the "center" vent hole 1/4 inch from the face of the breech plug and have had no problems at all... In fact, I've had positive ignition with every shot (save for having to knap the flint), so I have no complaints on the vent hole location...

As mentioned earlier in this topic, I have read where the vent hole location a'head of the breech plug face 1/8 to 1/4 inch assured powder ignition as the charge would be ignited "into the side of the powder rather then the lower base corner where fouling may prevent the charge from igniting...

On that same note, I have not experience any trouble with a flash hole located at an angle off the breech plug face (as Rob showed in his post) or even a flash hole located anywhere from the face of the plug to 1/4 inch a'head of the plug...

However, and IMHO - Rob's picture is ideal as it allows for some powder to be worked into the breech area through the vent behind the ball should a person dry-ball...  My method would probably result in having to pull the ball or remove the breech plug if I forgot to put powder in under my patched ball.

:shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska