Your TMA Officers and Board of Directors
Support the TMA! ~ Traditional Muzzleloaders ~ The TMA is here for YOU!
*** JOIN in on the TMA 2024 POSTAL MATCH *** it's FREE for ALL !

For TMA related products, please check out the new TMA Store !

The Flintlock Paper

*** Folk Firearms Collective Videos ***

Author Topic: Caliber suggestions?  (Read 2978 times)

Online BEAVERMAN

• TMA Contributing Member
  • TMA: TMA Vice President
  • TMA Member: Charter Member #145
Re: Caliber suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2019, 09:21:13 AM »
I've taken all of the above, Elk, Deer, Blackies with both 50 and 54 calibers, that being said, it's the well placed shot that makes meat!, 54 has turned out to be my caliber of choice in the last 10 years. as always, you mileage may vary!
Jim Smith
TMA Vice President
Charter Member #145  EXPIRATION 1/21/25
Green River Mountain Men
Peninsula Longrifles
WSMA
U.S.M.C.
BSA                    

"An armed man is a citizen,..an unarmed man is a subject!"

Offline prairie dog

• TMA Member: Contributing Member #678
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2019, 09:52:32 AM »
I have gravitated to the 54 for all big game and the 40 for small game.  Good ballistics and performance with a patched round ball in both calibers.
Steve Sells

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 10:01:51 AM »
Well, I've taken deer & antelope with .45, .50, and .54, and I will say that the .54 is my favorite. I think everyone who hunts has a favorite caliber they like and if it's legal for the size game you're hunting - it's your call. I also would not rule out the .58...

To me, the .54 teeters to both the deer & antelope size game but also covers you in many of the larger size game animals such as elk, eastern black bear,,, and if I were in Griz country hunting - no less then a .62 (rifled barrel with 120 - 140 grains of powder. Guess I'd just like that chance of getting back home...  :shake
Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska

Offline Oldetexian

• TMA BoD
  • TMA: Virginia State Rep.
  • TMA Member: TMA Supporting Member #831, expiration 4/17/2021
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 10:19:45 AM »
The elk restoration has gone well, but we face the headwind of an insurance conglomerate blocking additional expansion and the anti-hunting crowd wanting to block any seasons.  We can discuss all that stuff at length elsewhere.
[/quote]

Hey Forager. I would luv to help in these efforts. Please PM me and we can discuss in more detail. Thanks!
Virginia State Rep.
TMA BoD

"fiat justitia ruat caelum"
(let justice be done though the heavens fall)

Ray Buchanan

Offline Forager

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #498
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration date; 5/25/2021
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 11:20:52 AM »
The elk restoration has gone well, but we face the headwind of an insurance conglomerate blocking additional expansion and the anti-hunting crowd wanting to block any seasons.  We can discuss all that stuff at length elsewhere.

Hey Forager. I would luv to help in these efforts. Please PM me and we can discuss in more detail. Thanks!
[/quote]

I need to follow up with you anyway!
TMA Member #498, exp: 05/25/2021

Second Amendment Foundation - Life Member
National Rifle Association - Life Member
Sportsmen’s Alliance - Member
Virginia Hunter Education Association Lead Instructor
Virginia Bear Hunters Association - Life Member
Virginia Deer Hunters Association - Member

Offline Eddie Southgate

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2019, 10:34:06 PM »
I have rifles from .36 to .58 and beyond any doubt my favorite and most used are all in .54 cal . Course you could get a .58 and have an extra .54 barrel made for it and have both .

Eddie

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 03:31:58 AM »
I have rifles from .36 to .58 and beyond any doubt my favorite and most used are all in .54 cal . Course you could get a .58 and have an extra .54 barrel made for it and have both .

Eddie

Welcome to the TMA Forum, Eddie!  :bl th up
Powerful glad to have you with us.
I agree with your thinking, and I have for a long time.
An extra barrel or two, or three, along with a great shooting Smoothrifle barrel is about as good as it gets IMHO...Some get shot more than others, but the ones not being shot are not neglected or forgotten...their day will be coming as I shoot all of them..
I find myself with days where I think I will shoot this today, but then I change my mind, doubt builds and I throw another barrel in the truck, just in case....each barrel also has it's own shooting bag, so where the barrel goes the bag goes and vice versa.
The one barrel that accompanies me just about every time, whether hunting or shooting on the Range is the Smooth-bore rifle barrel in .56 caliber....I have shot a lot of Quail and Grouse with that barrel, plus it shoots really well with a patch and round-ball, a definite win-win for any hunter.

It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Offline Eddie Southgate

• TMA Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2019, 04:48:43 PM »
Thanks Uncle Russ . I am about the same , my oldest Thompson Hawken has a .45  TC and a .50 Douglas and my newest has a .54 TC and a .50TC and is a Renegade . My Seneca has factory .36 and .45 barrels . Need a .58 for the Lyman GP but all I seem to run across are bullet barrels and I'm a round ball guy .

Eddie

Offline Forager

• TMA Forum Member
  • TMA: Supporting Member #498
  • TMA Member: Membership Expiration date; 5/25/2021
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2019, 12:17:47 PM »

Eddie

An extra barrel or two, or three, along with a great shooting Smoothrifle barrel is about as good as it gets IMHO...Some get shot more than others, but the ones not being shot are not neglected or forgotten...their day will be coming as I shoot all of them..
I find myself with days where I think I will shoot this today, but then I change my mind, doubt builds and I throw another barrel in the truck, just in case....each barrel also has it's own shooting bag, so where the barrel goes the bag goes and vice versa.
The one barrel that accompanies me just about every time, whether hunting or shooting on the Range is the Smooth-bore rifle barrel in .56 caliber....I have shot a lot of Quail and Grouse with that barrel, plus it shoots really well with a patch and round-ball, a definite win-win for any hunter.

Fortunately, I already have the .56, and the .54, and a .50 for the Renegade.  I’ve also got a sewer pipe rusted .50 that I picked up free a while back that will likely become a .58 or .62.

What is that 1:26” twist .50?  Details?
TMA Member #498, exp: 05/25/2021

Second Amendment Foundation - Life Member
National Rifle Association - Life Member
Sportsmen’s Alliance - Member
Virginia Hunter Education Association Lead Instructor
Virginia Bear Hunters Association - Life Member
Virginia Deer Hunters Association - Member

Online Bigsmoke

• TMA: Charter Member #150
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2019, 12:46:45 PM »

[/quote]

Russ, This is a little late for Christmas this year, but for next year birthday and Christmas, if it were me, I would ask Santa or the birthday bunny for a nice little .40 cal in a round ball twist, maybe 1:48.  And for added excitement, we rebarreled a Renegade for a fellow with a .62 slow twist, I think 1:96.  It was fun to shoot up to 150 grains, but over that it felt like being in a boxing match with both hands tied behind one's back.  No fun.
Now, that's only what I would do.  YMMV, but it is certainly a valid suggestion.
John
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest Up to God.

BigSmoke - John Shorb
TMA Charter Member #150  
NRA - Life
Coeur d'Alene Muzzleloaders - Life

Offline Uncle Russ

• TMA Founder. Walk softly & carry a big Smoothbore!
  • TMA Member: Founder / Charter Member #004
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 02:14:39 PM »
John, I like the way you think!

:hairy
It's the many things we don't do that totally sets us apart.
TMA Co-Founder / Charter Member# 4

Online Winter Hawk

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2019, 03:21:49 PM »
Eddie, I suggest talking to Bobby Hoyt if he will make a barrel for you.  It would be cheaper than getting one from fleabay, although you may have to blue it yourself.  He made a .62 smoothbore for my T-C at a very reasonable price, which included turning it from octagon to round.  http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php?topic=23224.msg217885#msg217885

~Kees~
NMLRA Life
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
USN June 1962-Nov. 65, USS Philip, DD-498

Dues paid to 02 Jan. 2025

Offline Ohio Joe

• TMA BoD
  • TMA Founder / Charter Member# 8
  • TMA Member: Founder
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »
I have always liked Uncle Russ' one stock for different caliber barrels. Great idea!!!  :hairy

My biggest reason for liking this idea is very simple; No matter what caliber you are shooting in that "one" stock - it will always have the same feel when shouldering it. In my mind, this is one of the foremost steps to accuracy... We all know the old saying, "fit & feel" - well it certainly holds true when going this route.  :hairy

Chadron Fur Trade Days Rendezvous / "Ol' Candle Snuffer"
"Museum of the Fur Trade" Chadron, Nebraska